Could Durbin Come Back? – Phillies Nation
Analysis

Could Durbin Come Back?

Dave Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News is reporting that Chad Durbin is weighing an option to come back to Philadelphia on a minor league deal. Murphy also says that Durbin has an offer on the table as a starting pitcher from the Boston Red Sox.

Durbin spent three seasons with the Phillies, but became a free agent and was looking for a raise from the $2.125 million he made in 2010.

Click to comment

1. The Dipsy

February 22, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Chad Durbin….has an offer….as a starting pitcher….from the Red Sox?

Baaaaaaaaaaa-haaaaaaaaaaaah! That’s rich.

Report to Clearwater by Friday, Chad.

The Dipsy

2. fdisker2000

February 22, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Adam Eaton has an offer as a starter from the Yankees also!!!!

3. fdisker2000

February 22, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I guess they need a two or three inning starter???

4. Bruce

February 22, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I think the Phillies would gladly welcome him back provided the price is right for Durbin and the Phillies.

5. Chuck

February 23, 2011 at 9:07 am

I would take him back. But if he has an offer from the Red Sox as a starter, why would he come here on a minor league deal? Something’s strange with this…

February 23, 2011 at 9:38 am

It’s gotta be something like the Red Sox’s 7th starter or something. No way he could crack that rotation.

Lester/Bucholz/Beckett/Lackey are as entrenched in that rotation as R2C2. Then their 5th starter is Dice-K? Forget about Chad starting there, barring 3 injuries.

If we can get him back on an “expensive” minor league deal, fantastic. We would be vastly upgrading our pen with his versatility… you never know who might go down once the season starts.

7. tavian

February 23, 2011 at 10:36 am

I’d like to see Durbin back with the Phils. He has the skill and versatility the team needs, but don’t be surprised if the Cardinals grab him, especially with Wainwright possibly needing Tommy John surgery.

8. bfo_33

February 23, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I am very surprised that Durbin didn’t get a decent offer from someone – he has been one of the more reliable rh relievers, and there are still a lot of teams that could use a solid 7th inning guy. With that said, I think it is time for the Phils to bring up some of the younger guys, see what they have. Signing Durbin to a cheap minor league contract is ok insurance, but would hold off bringing him up as long as possible.

Other news – Wainwright down, possibly for the season. While I still think we’re better off keeping Blanton this year, the Cards have a couple of highly touted 3B prospects, may be worth a look. With the Brewers pitching upgrades, and the Reds basically the same as last year, with a year experience added, they need another reliable starter to stay in the race. Probably not the last starter to go down in spring training, no need to deal now unless they blow you away.

• PhP54

February 23, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I think and always have thought keeping Blanton as #5 is the best move. My hope is we can keep this rotation for 2011 and 2012. I am sure surprises will happen, but I would agree with you mostly!

February 23, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I see no value in bringing Durbin back. As Jay Floyd has demonstrated, we have a lot of young arms, some ready now, some next year. Let’s get them some ML experience. If you bring back Chad, that leaves Mathieson or Worley out.. Then we cut off Zagurski, Colvin, DeFratus – and more that might be ready soon. We need to get younger, and IMO this is a good place to start.

10. Adam Melson

February 23, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Why aren’t we trying to get him back? He was a solid middle reliever that could knock out 2-3 innings if a starter was knocked early. Who has a track record like Durbin’s last year currently on the team that could fill that void?

11. bfo_33

February 23, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Lefty, I agree in theory, but if you asked the starters, I’d bet they’d all want Durbin back. A minor league incentive based contract would be nice insurance. Going back to Rube’s line – we usually use @ 20 pitchers a year. Give Defratus/Mathieson a shot (I think having Worley as a starter in the minors is more beneficial than moving him to a reliever in the majors), have Durbin as back-up in case they need more seasoning, Conteras or Madson need to be shut down for a spell.

• Lefty

February 23, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I see your point bfo and it’s valid. But I thought that’s what we brought guys like Shlitter, Bonine and Grili here for. We signed them all to minor league contracts as insurance. If Durbin wants a raise from the 2.1 he was making last year, he doesn’t want a minor league contract. I don’t buy that Boston wants him as a starter either. I just think we could get by with what we have. Sure the young guys will get roughed up a little, but that’s part of the process. Got to get them through that if they’re ever going to make it.

I mean, if we’re fortunate to have the fantastic year we’re all hoping for, we’re still going to lose close to 60 games. Why not let your young guns get some experience in those situations.

• bfo_33

February 23, 2011 at 2:25 pm

While they have a few question marks, Bos has 6 or 7 starters on the roster – that seems like a smokescreen to me. if Durbin is willing to take a minor league contract, I’m assuming it means somewhere near the minimum (plus incentives). In our division, there are three teams who Durbin could probably make the roster as set-up guy, or at least # 3 righty from the pen, so I’m surprised he didn’t find a better deal (unless he wants to play only for a contender). The bottom line – there isn’t much going on yet (when do games start?) and the 6th or 7th guy out of the pen isn’t going to change the Phil’s record much.

12. PhP54

February 23, 2011 at 2:32 pm

How about we release Baez, eat that contract and sign Durbin? Oh wait, Baez was probably a good sign too.

• Chuck

February 23, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Danys Baez was NOT a good sign.

There. You happy now?

• Don M

February 23, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Leave Danys Baez alone!!!! He’s got the best tits on the whole team!

• Chuck

February 23, 2011 at 4:44 pm

man boobs

13. tavian

February 23, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Now we go through all these historonics and we could have had Durbin signed, sealed and delivered a month ago. Let Baez go. He stinks. Durbin is durable, can go several innings and has been a workhorse. Stupid keeping Baez and letting Durbin walk. Get him in camp.

14. Chuck

February 23, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Off topic but I found this interesting:

Maybe Werth is right, but it sounds a little bit like sour grapes to me. Again, like I’ve said before, I have no problem with Jayson Werth and will always like him as a player and root for him….just not when he faces the Phillies.

15. Bruce

February 23, 2011 at 6:31 pm

So Jason “Show Me The Money” Werth thought the Phillies could break the bank in keeping both under contract? (chuckles) Anyway, late in season Werth will be wistfully thinking of better days with the Phillies as his new team occupies their usual spot in the darkened cellar. LOL