2010 Top Moments

Top Moment #5: Halladay Shuts Out Nationals to Clinch Division

The Phillies’ unprecedented fourth consecutive division title was carved in stone on the back of an outstanding pitching performance, a 97-pitch complete game shutout by Roy Halladay, who allowed only two hits while striking out six and not walking a batter. Halladay was the star, of course, with a game score of 89, but the offense more than did its job on that night. Every Phillies position player reached base, and while Jayson Werth’s solo home run off John Lannan to lead off the second inning would turn out to be enough, the Phillies tacked on seven more runs anyway. Werth doubled in Placido Polanco and Chase Utley in the sixth inning, and after Raul Ibanez singled, advancing Werth to third and chasing Lannan, Carlos Ruiz singled in Werth to make it 4-0. And the rout was on. With two outs in the top of the ninth, Shane Victorino, Polanco, Utley, Howard, and Werth strung together a walk, a single, a double, another walk, and another single to bring the score to its final of 8-0.

The amazing thing about this night was that there ought to have been more of a to-do about a spectacular performance to put the icing on a historic run of success, but if there’s a word to describe that game, it’s “routine.” Think about that. A complete-game shutout in less than 100 pitches for Halladay, and the 21st win of a historic season? Routine. An 8-0 win against a division rival in the heat of the stretch run to lock up a division title? Routine. If ever there were an indication that these were not your older brother’s Phillies, the overwhelming routineness of a two-hit shutout to clinch the division was it.

Click to comment

1. Best Phillies Blogs

February 14, 2011 at 8:56 am

This game was a microcosm of the entire season. One that was never in doubt. Let’s hope the 2011 postseason takes place in similar fashion!

2. Captain Chaos

February 14, 2011 at 9:23 am

I am dying for baseball. We’ve gotta get some roster talk going, some pitching reports, injury updates anything. Can’t wait to get out of work so I can check out the press conference from the rotation today.

• Pat Gallen

February 14, 2011 at 10:03 am

Captain, feel free to use this spot to do so.

Later on we’ll have the Week in Review up, which will act as a primer for the press conference post, which will be up at 12:30 ahead of the 1:30 start time.

• Captain Chaos

February 14, 2011 at 10:54 am

Sounds good to me. I can’t remember being this excited for a baseball season in years.

3. Phantastic Four

February 14, 2011 at 9:40 am

I was there! Completely awe inspiring! Best game I’ve ever been to even though it was raining

February 14, 2011 at 9:44 am

I was there, too! Everything looked so routine. It was raining a little bit but all the Phillies phans stayed till the end. Pretty cool game.

5. Captain Chaos

February 14, 2011 at 11:03 am

Wanted to get everybody’s thoughts on something. Mayberry only has one more option year left and either needs to be on the major league roster or he’s a free agent. Since it looks like we’re going to start the year with a platoon of Francisco & Brown in right field does anyone have any thoughts on doing the same thing in left?

John Mayberry may not ever be an everyday major league player, but his splits against left handed pitching are really good, and we know he’s got homerun power. It would make the year easier on Ibanez not just with the pitching he’ll face, but will give him regular offdays (despite keeping himself in great shape Raul is getting close to 40).

Platoons don’t seem to be all that popular anymore through the league, but most of us can probably remember a year where they worked out great for the Phils. In 93 the Phillies platooned Incy/ Milt in left, Chamberlain/ Eisenrich in right, and Morandini/ Duncan at 2B.

The other bonus to this since it’s been a focus for us the last two years. If you’ve got platoons going when you go to your bench you can send up a player who’s been seeing regular atbats.

• Manny

February 14, 2011 at 11:36 am

Do you know where can I get Mayberry’s splits in the minors? I can’t seem to find it on the usual websites (baseball reference, etc).

• Captain Chaos

February 14, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Hey Manny, I had it over the weekend, but I think the link is saved on my home computer. I’ll have to add a link to it when I get a chance before work tomorrow. Can’t remember what it was exactly someone on the radio mentioned that his minor league splits were something like .360 against left handed pitching. (I can’t imagine it’s that good but if it was over .300 I’d take it as part of a platoon.

• Captain Chaos

February 14, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Hey Manny,

Here’s the best I could find official sites don’t seem to have the splits or his minor league time listed. I can only find either or…

• Manny

February 14, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Thanks, Captain. I think they only have info for his MLB plate appearances, unless I’m missing something.

“Mayberry has only managed to hit .232/.274/.536 in the majors thus far, but has only been given 73 plate appearances over the last two years. In that severely small sample, he’s posted a 297 point split in OPS between left-handed pitching (.923) and right-handed pitching (.626).”

Anyway, I think he can smash lefties and management will give him the chance to earn a platoon spot.

• Lefty

February 14, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Two seasons ago, Raul only played in 134 games. (155 last year) Most of that was due to injury, but in terms of power he was much more effective that year. I’m all for resting Ibanez more often this season.