2011 Staff Awards Predictions

Many PN staff members are picking Roy Halladay to win the Cy Young again.

Here are the Phillies Nation staff awards predictions for the 2011 season. Please feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments section below. Obviously, there are no wrong answers.

The hot name for Cy Young is, of course, Roy Halladay. In the AL, Jon Lester is grabbing some attention. Adrian Gonzalez is a favorite for AL MVP now that he’s part of that ridiculous lineup in Boston. Ron Roenicke and Fredi Gonzalez are battling it out for Manager of the Year in the NL.

There are several different rookies garnering votes from the PN staff, as well as for Hitter to Watch in both leagues and Pitcher to Watch in each circuit.

AL/NL MVPs – Kevin Youkilis / Troy Tulowitzki

AL/NL CY YOUNG – Jon Lester / Roy Halladay

AL/NL ROOKIES OF YEAR – Kyle Drabek / Pedro Alvarez

AL/NL MANAGERS OF YEAR – Terry Francona / Jim Tracy

AL/NL HITTER TO WATCH – Gordon Beckham / Chris Johnson

AL/NL PITCHERS TO WATCH – Ricky Romero / Carlos Zambrano

AL MVPs: Adrian Gonzalez / NL MVP: Ryan Braun

AL/NL CY YOUNG – Jon Lester / Roy Halladay

AL/NL ROOKIES OF YEAR – Jeremy Hellickson / Freddie Freeman

AL/NL MANAGERS OF YEAR – Bob Geren / Fredi Gonzalez

AL/NL HITTER TO WATCH  – John Jaso / Mike Stanton

Adrian Gonzalez is a hot choice for AL MVP. (PHOTO: AP)

AL/NL PITCHERS TO WATCH – Brandon Morrow / Shaun Marcum /

AL/NL ROOKIE OF YEAR – Jeremy Hellickson / Brandon Belt

AL/NL MANAGER OF YEAR – Bob Geren / Fredi Gonzalez, Braves

AL HITTER TO WATCH FOR – Adam Dunn, White Sox

NL HITTER TO WATCH FOR – Mike Stanton, Marlins

AL PITCHER TO WATCH FOR – Tim Collins, Royals AND Jordan Walden, Angels

NL PITCHER TO WATCH FOR – Craig Kimbrel, Braves

Ron Roenicke is the new manager of the Brewers. (PHOTO: AP)

AL/NL MVP: Evan Longoria / Albert Pujols

AL/NL CY YOUNGS David Price/Roy Halladay
AL/NL ROOKIE OF YEAR Jeremy Hellickson/Freddie Freeman
AL/NL MANAGER OF YEAR Buck Showalter/Bud Black
AL/NL HITTER TO WATCH FOR Kila Ka’aihue/Logan Morrison

Click to comment

March 29, 2011 at 1:03 pm

The Doc getting lots of love…

AL/NL MVP: Adrian Gonzalez / Ryan Howard (boom)

AL/NL CY YOUNG: Jon Lester / Cole Hamels (boom) –if not Cole, Kershaw…

AL/NL ROY: ? / Aroldis Chapman

AL/NL MANAGER: Terry Francona / Fredi Gonzalez

NL PLAYER TO WATCH: Madison Bumgarner (Giants)

AL PLAYER TO WATCH: Adam Jones (Orioles)

• Manny

March 29, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Actually, let me make a small fix to my AL MVP (mostly to throw a name out there that nobody’s talking about): ROBINSON CANO instead of Gonzalez…

2. Publius

March 29, 2011 at 1:14 pm

MVPs: Adrian Gonzalez / Albert Pujols
    CYAs: Felix Hernandez / Roy Halladay
    ROYs: Michael Pineda / Brandon Belt
    MOYs: Buck Showalter / Fredi Gonzalez
    Pitchers to watch: Erik Bedard / Ricky Nolasco
    Hitters to watch: Milton Bradley / Pablo Sandoval

3. betasigmadeltashag

March 29, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Manny you stole my thunder a little bit with Ryan Howard I am pretty much a national league guy so I will not venture into the AL living in Red Sox and Yankee country here in Vermont I pretty much hate the AL
    MVP Ryan Howard
    Cy Young Cliff Lee
    ROY Freeman
    Manger Cholly, I know he will get no love with the rotation on his side, but I think if they win over 100 games I think it might be a five year award for the old guy.
    Am I a homer probably
    Only 3 days left until opening day

• Manny

March 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Yup. People forget that he was No.5 in MVP voting last season, despite the ankle issue and the big drop in power. If he hits 40+ dingers again, as many websites/blogs/reporters are predicting, he’ll be among the Top 2 or 3 again in MVP votes. (Though I gotta say that Pujols in his last contract year is scary…)

4. Dropped Strike Three

March 29, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I’ll play along… I was planning on something like this for my own site tomorrow.

AL/NL MVP: Mark Teixeira/Albert Pujols
    AL/NL CY Young: Felix Hernandez/Roy Halladay
    AL/NL ROY: Tsuyoshi Nishioka/Aroldis Chapman
    AL/NL MOY: Buck Showalter/Charlie Manuel
    Hitters to Watch: Gordon Beckham/Drew Stubbs
    Pitchers to Watch: Kyle Drabek/Daniel Hudson

5. Brooks

March 29, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I’m with you Manny – Howard for NL MVP
    I think the AL hitter to watch is going to be Vlad (between him and E Longoria)

Comeback players anyone?
    Jimmy Rollins NL
    John Lackey AL

• Manny

March 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Thoughts on Manny Ramirez? I heard he’s raking in Spring Training (which I’ll say that for a guy like him is somewhat important –to prove that he still has “it”) and he’ll be in the middle of that Rays lineup… (Got him on the next-to-last round of my fantasy draft!)

• Manny

March 29, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Or the Panda??

• Dropped Strike Three

March 29, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I was going to mention Manny Ramirez…. In the 30 Clubs in 30 Days for the Rays, he seemed to be in pretty phenomenal shape and his attitude seemed to have that same chip as he had when sent to the Dodgers.

• Publius

March 29, 2011 at 2:00 pm

ManRam’s performance depends on how many ABs he gets and how happy he is in Tampa. If he’s happy and playing at least every other day, his batting line could easily *start* at .290/.380/.500 and could go even higher closer to his career norms. If he’s not playing the field he won’t get hurt and can easily continue to produce.

As for Panda, I think he’s due for a big rebound since he’s slimmed down and has hit really well in ST

6. Brooks

March 29, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Publius – I like your choice of AL pitcher to watch, perhaps even CY in AL if Bedard stays healthy.

7. Brooks

March 29, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Manram? Guys are asking for the Dipsy to make an appearance –

8. Jared

March 29, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Corey, I think your dead on with your predictions. Love Braun, Freeman, Hellickson, Morrow, Marcum, Jaso and Stanton. I think Agonz and Doc are as close as you can get to being sure things in their respective categories. Any chance that one of the other big 4 steals votes from Halladay and a non-phillie getting(i.e Wainwright and Carpenter 2 years ago, when Lincecum won?)
    Also Paul, I’m a huge braves fan and I even think your ballsy for picking Heyward as the NL MVP. I love the kid and think he’ll do nothing short of improving on a fantastic rookie campaign, but hes 21 or 22, and i don’t quite think he’s on the level of guys like Pujols, Braun, Tulo, or Cargo.
    I do however love both Brett Anderson and Josh Johnson…..if they can stay healthy for a full season. If that does happen I think JJ will be Doc’s biggest competition for NL Cy. Anderson will surely get one in his career, I just think Lester’s going to get far more run support this year. Put BA on that red sox team and I’d be tempted to take him too. Good read though guys. I’ll be sure to save this and take another look in November.

9. Jared

March 29, 2011 at 2:40 pm

NL/AL MVP: Ryan Braun/Adrian Gonzalez
    NL/AL CYs: Roy Halladay/John Lester
    NL/AL ROYs: Freddie Freeman/Jeremy Hellickson
    NL/AL Managers: Fredi Gonzalez/ Bob Geren
    NL/AL Pitchers to Watch: Homer Bailey/Max Scherzer
    NL/AL Hitters to Watch: Drew Stubbs/Danny Valencia

10. TheDipsy

March 31, 2011 at 10:47 am

I’m not the “I told ya so” type, but Manny is playing for his baseball life and its doesn’t surprise me at all that he’s in phenomenal shape and that he’s “raking”. The prosepect of losing the only thing you were ever good at can be a pretty powerful motivator. That said, The Phillies should have signed him. He can still play left as good as Raul – he just looks worse doing it. My stats for Manny: 35/110/.326. Paul – Love the Jason Heyward call. He’s gonna be a monster someday. P.S. Is Billy Wagner “officially” anyone’s property?

The Dipsy

• Chuck

March 31, 2011 at 11:16 am

How long long does it take before Manny makes an ass of himself in St. Petersburg?