2011 Game Recaps

Cliff Lee and Phillies Nation Crush DC

The tailgate party was great. The game was boring.

On a beautiful day in the nation’s capital Phillies Nation and the Green Legion hosted over five buses worth of fans for an awesome tailgate. Quimby and his crew pulled out all the stops while our friends from Yards Brewing provided a special assortment of refreshments. After over three hours of serious tailgating our hoard of Phillies fans invaded Nationals park. Once inside we witnessed what we all hoped would happen.

Cliff Lee needed just 99 pitches to record his second win of the season, a 4-0 gem over the Nationals. Chooch provided the Phillies first run with a solo homer in the sixth. A few Nationals errors and some small ball in the eighth provided more than enough insurance as this game was never in doubt.

To his credit the Nats starter, Jordan Zimmerman pitched well as have all their starters this series. Jayson Werth finished 0-4 with two strikeouts and ended the game with a fielder’s choice. There’s no doubt he heard the jeers rain down from sections 143-138; he even turned around a few times in an attempt to sound out the signs our group had on display.

All-in-all, it was another amazing trip to DC. We’ve been going since 2005 and it never gets old.

Photos from the day:

Phillies fans approach the gate at Nationals Park:

Click to comment

1. Brooks

April 14, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I wouldn’t say the game was boring, it was definitely the best regular season game that I have seen Cliffy throw. The crowd, even if you took PN out of the numbers, was evenly divided between Nats sorriful and Phillies fans – about 30 each – I swear there are more employees than fans down there.

The party and food was great – I loved the ribs and chicken. The spot this year was better than last.

Good time and excellent bargain – thanks guys!

2. Pingback: It’s Hard Not to Gloat … | JordanCornblog

3. jeff y

April 15, 2011 at 5:18 am

Cliff Lee is the man.

4. RatBastardNJ

April 15, 2011 at 5:58 am

I am very jealous as I wish I was there! Not a boring game at all as I appreciate the well pitched games over the ones with a ton of runs. Zimmerman and Lee both looked outstanding. Hopefully, I can make one of these trips at some point.

On a side note…who is Cooch? I thought that was a part of the female anatomy? My family are huge CHOOCH fans and were most disappointed by the typo.

5. Pat Gallen

April 15, 2011 at 7:37 am

No definitely not a boring game. And old fashioned pitching matchup and one of the best I’ve ever seen in person.

6. tavian

April 15, 2011 at 8:10 am

If I were a Nationals fan, then I would say the game was boring. But being a Phillies fan, that was an exciting game. Cliff Lee was world class. We have some great starters. Awesome performance by Mr. Lee.

7. Don M

April 15, 2011 at 8:56 am

Was the PhilliesNation crew really booing Werth last night??

• Manny

April 15, 2011 at 9:49 am

I clapped for Werth when he came up for his first at-bat this series… booed him after that (especially after he hurt us in Game 1).. and he’s playing for the other team now!

Now let’s talk about that last at-bat of the series… Free agent duel: Cliff Lee vs Werth. Good storyline.

8. Brian Michael

April 15, 2011 at 9:48 am

Yea, it wasn’t really boring – you guys are right. There was just no offense by either team for the first 6 innings until Chooch’s homer.

I think we can appreciate a “boring” game by Cliff Lee. He was masterful – no doubt about it.

9. Mike B