2011 Game Recaps

Marlins Steal Game 1 on Most Predictable Inning Ever

The Phillies lost to the Marlins tonight. And if you’re one for narrative in sports, or if you’re a hard determinist, the top of the seventh inning was a real doozy.

Sure, there were some extraneous bits of news in the other eight and a half innings. Phillies fan favorite Logan Morrison had two hits, including a fifth-inning solo homer. Pete Orr had a pretty good game in place of Wilson Valdez, reaching base twice and recording two brilliant defensive plays, one on the pivot of a fifth-inning double play and the other to corral a broken-bat blooper and throw out Mike Stanton at first in the eighth.

Also, Roy Oswalt again threw between 88 and 90 pitches, went six innings, and gave up two runs. However, Oswalt injured his back, it is believed, trying to bunt Orr to second in the bottom of the sixth and could not start the seventh.

It is the top of that seventh inning that is of interest tonight. With the Phillies up one, their starter, who was cruising, left with an injury. J.C. Romero came in to face Morrison, a lefty with power. Morrison hit what would have been an easy chopper to second if Romero hadn’t deflected the ball, which was headed straight for a charging Pete Orr, into no-man’s land. Instead, the Marlins had the tying run on and no one out, and instead of bringing in one of his top relievers, Charlie Manuel opted for Danys Baez, who, predictably, loaded the bases.

Then, of all people to stride out of the dugout, was Greg Dobbs.

Yes, the selfsame Greg Dobbs who led the NL in pinch hits in 2008, then put up a .221/.273/.356 his last two years in Philly, much to the annoyance of Phillies fans. Dobbs, in a moment of almost literary irony and almost Calvinist predictability, hit a two-run single to left to plate Morrison and Gaby Sanchez. It was only then, after the damage had been done, that Uncle Cholly reached into his bag of bullpen arms and pulled out a reliable relief pitcher. And when he did, Antonio Bastardo predictably only needed five pitches to record two outs with two men on.

Here’s hoping Cole Hamels and the Phillies predictably beat the living daylights out of the Marlins tomorrow.

Click to comment

1. Brian Sr. of CO

April 16, 2011 at 5:17 am

I am not the biggest Danys Baez fan on here, don’t get me wrong, but can we really say “predictably, loaded the bases”? I know I have been critical of Baez since he got to Philadelphia, but look at what he had done in pre-season and thus far in this early season. Granted, once he loaded the bases, I would have much rather seen Bastardo in there with Dobbs up, but how can you say “predictably, loaded the bases” with what he has done in pre-season, and to this point? He has done a good job for what the Phillies have seen of him this season.

2. steven1146

April 16, 2011 at 6:40 am

“Calvinist predictability” ???? Give that writer an honorary PHd.

April 16, 2011 at 8:35 am

I should start by saying I haven’t bought in on Baez yet either, but as Brian of CO pointed out he has pitched well so far. I guess you could argue that he shouldn’t have used Baez in a situation where we had a lead, but last year’s 7th inning hold guys are no longer available, Durbin gone, and Contreras closing. I guess he could have gone to Herndon, or Kendrick- I know I wouldn’t have trusted Herndon, and we need to save Kendrick for long duty- if we have the predicted rain delays tonight, we’ll need him. After Cole sits for an hour or longer, he’s got to ice it up, he’s done. Maybe we should ask Madson to give us two innings? We could have, but if do that enough times, he’d be worn out by the end of August.

But that aside, for those like me, that were upset that Charlie left Baez in to face Dobbs, I now understand it better. Charlie played Righty- Lefty odds. Everyone wants to know why Bastardo was not brought in to face Dobbs. The reason is he would not have faced Dobbs, if he was brought in, they would have PH Helms. It’s that simple.

It was a 50-50 decision, and Charlie chose the wrong course of action. 50-50 folks. Helms almost always kills us, vs. Dobbs who you know wanted to kill us. Helms with a great lifetime BA against us, vs. Dobbs batting over .400 this year. It’s a crapshoot and everyone should realize that.

I guess you could debate that he should have put a different right-hander in to face Dobbs, because Baez didn’t seem to have it. But why do that against the left-handed hitter?

It was a 50-50 choice and we lost, the best clubs lose 60 games a year, that’s baseball.

4. Bart Shart

April 16, 2011 at 8:52 am

This was a banner day for Dobbs. He got us good. Regarding Baez, he pitched into some bad luck. He deserves another chance. I hope he can put this game behind him. Also, I wish the Phils showed more offense last night.

5. NannyPan

April 16, 2011 at 10:04 am

Cole Hamels tonight, Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!

6. tavian

April 16, 2011 at 11:22 am

let’sget some support for Cole Hamels tonight. I had a premonition when Greg Dobbs stepped to the plate that he was dripping with revenge. He made us pay dearly.

7. betasigmadeltashag

April 16, 2011 at 2:08 pm

As much as I was not surprised to see the Baez bashing I thought it would be in the comments not the post. It is nice to see some rational heads prevail. JC reacted to a ball, that he thought he could get too, unlucky yes, but predictable no. Baez with the exception of the walk threw some good pitches, the fastball to Dobbs was out of the strike zone low and away right where Chooch set up, Dobbs just hit it. And Charlie explained why he left Baez in because he like Baez against Dobbs, and would I the way he hit the last two years, then Bastardo against Helms. The one decision I would question is why not Just bring in Bastardo to begin with, he can get left and right handed hitters out, and with a lefty followed by 3 righties, just bring him in to relieve Roy, he would have had all the time to warm up because it was an injury replacement. It is one game and Baez did not pitch horrilby, Like I stated at the beging, I thought the haters would come out in the commennts did not think the poster would be so biased