Analysis

Chase Utley Begins Rehab Assignment

Goodbye extended spring training, we hardly knew ya. Hello actual rehab assignment!

According to Paul Hagen of the Philadelphia Daily News, Chase Utley will begin his rehab assignment with Class-A Clearwater today, which officially means he is uber-close to returning to the Phillies. Utley will have a 20-day maximum to play rehab games, but odds are he’ll be back much sooner than that. David Hale of the Wilmington News Jorunal says May 18, and I have to agree with him 100 percent. The Phillies will return from their 8-game road trip that day, and what better way to unveil Utley to the world than back in the place he calls home.

The good news is, he has progressed to the point they feel comfortable moving him up from extended spring training very quickly.

Thank the lord, too, because the Phillies second base platoon of Wilson Valdez and Pete Orr has been relatively putrid with the bat. Defensively, they haven’t missed a beat, but that’s not really where the focus is. The Phillies have a need for runs and those two are not giving it to them. As Hale writes, the league average for OPS from the second base position is .657. Orr, Valdez, and a little Michael Martinez sprinkled in, has only managed a .568 OPS.

A one-handed Chase Utley could give you a .568 OPS. Man is he a sight for sore eyes.

Click to comment

May 10, 2011 at 2:01 pm

ZOMG!!!!

2. Pat Gallen

May 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Manny, that pretty much sums it up.

3. Dropped Strike Three

May 10, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Very exciting, but I can’t help but think Chase would have thrown away one of those double play balls that kept Joe Blanton in the game last night!

4. Andrew From Waldorf

May 10, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Ive been hoarding Utley in fantasy on DL
    But I have Jed Lowrie

Its actually a tough decision. Was hoping Chase would come back when Lowrie stopped hitting.

No I wont carry two 2b. I play to win
    I also dont carry a back up catcher. When I need one I get him off the scrap pile.

I also have a no trade deal with the guy I bet money with. Why?
    Because Id steal from you.

• Lefty

May 10, 2011 at 2:47 pm

No trade on Utley or Lowrie?

• Lefty

May 10, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I have to go now, but the reason I asked is that if you are really in it to win it, then no emotion can cloud your decision. WAR suggests Utley historically, but he’s an unknown quantity right now, just like Lowrie. Check Lowrie’s Minor league numbers, if they stand the test of time, let that carry you. No hometown discounts.

5. Andrew From Waldorf

May 10, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I will end up releasing Lowrie
    Utley is still the best 2b going in fantasy

6. Chuck

May 10, 2011 at 3:08 pm

So who gets sent down when Chase returns?

• Frank Riccard

May 10, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Martinez is my guess, just based on the fact that they’ve used him the least of all the bench players.

7. Andrew From Waldorf

May 10, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Its not a hometown discount

Chase is still owned in 94% of leagues despite not playing all year
    Lowrie in 76%

Lowrie is multiposition 2b 3b ss

Maybe ill hold him awhile.

I have Utley when healthy and Reyes and Youkillis though.

Martinez gets demoted I guess

8. Pat Gallen

May 10, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Well Martinez is a rule 5 pick, so he’d have to be offered back to the Nationals where he came from. They would likely take him back since he’s now seasoned enough to at least play at the big league level. I think you’re looking at Matheison going down. Martinez can play multiple positions and is a good pinch runner.

9. Pat Gallen

May 10, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Worley will likely go down once Oswalt comes back. And if Lidge ever does come back, then you might have to look at Stutes or Martinez at that point.

10. The Dipsy

May 10, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Offer Martinez back. He’s not that good. I like Orr, too. Lineup on June 1, 2011

Rollins
    Polanco
    Utley
    Howard
    Ibanez/Francisco
    Victorino
    Brown/Mayberry
    Chooch.

Although, when Brown does come up I would like to see him in there against all pitching.

The Dipsy

11. Andrew From Waldorf

May 10, 2011 at 3:34 pm

So you are saying Martinez is here for the whole year?
    Can the phils hamstring themselves for the whole year ?

I dont buy it.
    Hes not that good

12. Andrew From Waldorf

May 10, 2011 at 3:36 pm

You are scaring me Dipsy

13. Pat Gallen

May 10, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I’m not saying that they will or wont, but they did it a year ago with Herndon, so they’re certainly capable of it. He’s young and can play multiple positions with good defense, so I’d say they’ll keep him as long as possible.

14. Andrew From Waldorf

May 10, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Wheres the Oswalt thread?
    I was ready to compare him to Pol pot and Genghis Khan and Rosie O’Donnell

• Pat Gallen

May 10, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Sorry Andrew, got pushed back due to the Johnson/Halladay discussion and the Utley info.

15. Chuck

May 10, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Correct. Martinez is not that good. But the Phillies saw something in Spring Training that made them want to keep him so I can’t see them offering him back this soon.

16. TheDipsy

May 10, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Well Chuck, would you rather send Orr down? Or Valdez? Andrew – Don’t like the lineup?

The Dipsy

17. Andrew From Waldorf

May 10, 2011 at 5:55 pm

No Dipsy was saying how you post the things I am thinking before i can
    Very Wheeler like lol

Valdez earned a spot for his defense

Just dont ever send him up with a runner on first

18. bacardipr05

May 10, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Make sense if they just gave up Mini Mart. Who knows the Nats might not even want him back. They have to keep Orr over Mart it just makes sense. The question im pondering who is more valuable Orr or Valdez or do you keep both. Looks like we will be at 95% strength before the month is up. What are we to do with Lidge do we really need him can we get some prospects for him.

19. TheDipsy

May 10, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I think Lidge is worthless. When you see his fastball not getting past 88 when he gets back………

The Dipsy

20. Brooks

May 10, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Oh boy oh boy oh boy….

May 11, 2011 at 9:37 am

Just traded Matt Garza and Mad-Dog for Chase in my fantasy league… fingers crossed!