My Lineup Card Would Look Like This – Phillies Nation
Analysis

My Lineup Card Would Look Like This

Now that the Phillies have started to get healthy (*knock on wood*), we got to see something that resembled an actual Major League Baseball lineup.  Then came a six-hour game, and the lineup had to be reshuffled again.  Someday this thing will get situated, and that’s where you come in… the question to you:  What would the Phillies lineup look like if YOU ran the show?  How much does Chase Utley need to rest?  How often should Domonic Brown play? Should they ease Brown in with a platoon situation, or just throw him in the deep end to see if he can swim?

Shane Victorino will hopefully be returning very soon, Utley looks like he’ll need to sit every few games…and with everyone’s favorite, Placido Polanco, still the best hitter on the team, who bats 2nd?  Who bats 3rd?  There is still a lot of uncertainty surrounding this team, and a lot of ways our issues can be resolved.

Tell us your lineups vs. Lefties and vs. Righties….    Something the eye-test-guys and the saber-heads can have some nice discussions about!

If I had my say:

Phillies lineup vs. Right-Handed Pitchers (RHP)

1. Rollins, 2. Polanco, 3. Utley, 4. Howard, 5. Victorino, 6. Brown, 7. Ibanez, 8. Ruiz, 9. Pitcher

Phillies lineup vs. Left-Handed Pitchers (LHP)

1. Rollins, 2. Utley, 3. Polanco, 4. Howard, 5. Victorino, 6. Francisco, 7. Ibanez, 8. Ruiz, 9. Pitcher

*I would try to rest Utley every day-after-night game…and when he needs a breather, try to make it against LHP … (with OPS for his career almost identical against LHP and RHP, but Utley has a career batting average of .297 vs. RHP, and .283 vs. LHP… Higher OBP vs. LHP than vs. RHP…but Higher SLG% vs. RHP than vs. LHP, etc…) Basically Utley is pretty damn good no matter who is on the mound, but playing the percentages of baseball – resting him OCCASSIONALLY vs. Lefties should help more in the long run. (With Utley resting vs. a LHP: 1. Rollins, 2. Victorino, 3. Polanco, 4. Howard, 5. Francisco, 6. Ibanez, 7. Ruiz, 8. Valdez, 9. Pitcher)

*Also, I think Domonic Brown needs to start in RF every single time a RHP is on the mound, and unless Francisco and/or Mayberry is killing it vs. LHP, he should start to play against those pitchers more often too.  A straight platoon of Brown RF, Ibanez LF vs. RHP, and Francisco RF, Mayberry LF vs. LHP doesn’t do much to help anyone’s overall development… but if we’re just playing the odds, it could be the best way to generate offense this season???

Where did I go wrong?

Tell us what you would do in Charlie’s shoes.

Click to comment

1. Bob D

May 28, 2011 at 11:47 am

I agree with you above. However I would consider Brown 2nd, Polanco 3rd, and Utley 6th. Give them all a few dozen more AB’s and Vic come back and we will see how Utley and Brown are starting to hit. Utley and Brown should start against RH and approx 30-50% against LH. I also think Mayberry is having a better year than Francisco (not by much) and should figure into a platoon role with Ibanez getting some off time vs LH and Victorino an occasional day off

2. Andrew

May 28, 2011 at 11:56 am

That font, dear God…

3. Joe P

May 28, 2011 at 11:59 am

Agree with pretty much everything you’ve got there, but they NEED to sprinkle in starts for John Mayberry Jr. He’s been nothing but good for this team.

4. Ken

May 28, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Phils are gonna win this division by double digits. I tuned into the Marlins and Braves games after the win last night and I was not impressed. I really think this race is over by Memorial Day this year !

5. therookie300

May 28, 2011 at 12:47 pm

That font has got to go. It’s unreadable. It looks like those verification codes you have to type in when buying tickets of something.

6. Abdy

May 28, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I think ibanez needs to be higher in the line up he is killing the ball right now

7. Dan

May 28, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I agree for the most part, but while Ibanez is swinging a good bat, he needs to go up in the order… as when he is hot, he hits lefties/righties equally well. i know we all like to hate on him because he is old, but he has been seeing the ball well lately… although every out he makes looks like an old man out… ha

Also.. taking Vic from the top takes away one of the best advantages we have in having 2 switch hitters at the top. i think its more valuable than his so called protection he would provide howard…that being said, if victorino continues his transformation from a table setter to a bonafied RBI guy, I have no problems with your lineups.

8. Ryan H.

May 28, 2011 at 1:43 pm

never agree with hitting utley 2nd. Utley is the 3 hole hitter and always should be. Polly is a 2 and always should be. I get wanting to split the lefties in the heart of the order but forget that. gotta put these guys in their natural positions.

I’d also be for throwing brown in the deep end. Maybe give ben fran or mayberry a spot start once a week or so but I wanna see brown every day. he needs AB’s. he’s going to make it at this level and not throwing him out there every day will just prolong his development.

9. biz

Rollins
    Ibanez
    Ruiz
    P

• Andrew

May 28, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Brown before Ibanez. Forgot RF.

11. Brooks

May 28, 2011 at 1:57 pm

We never did receive any feedback about that font.

Don, interesting question. I think there are variables though:

Consider Brown. If he keeps warming like we hope we are seeing, he is strong, speedy and has hit for average (OK, in the minors) but, where do you put him? He certainly has enough power and if the average is decent could protect Howard at the #5 spot. Yet, with his speed, he seems a natural for the #3 spot – all this depends on if he hits and continues to play well. I say keep him in RF, let Francisco platoon with Brown at this point, not the other way around.

Consider Utley. If his bat starts to show any resemblance to what we have seen in the past with power and average, I think he is a shoe-in for the #5 spot. Only becuase of his speed.
    I would let him play 7 out of 8 games. Until he proves differently.

Consider Vic. #2, definitely at the second spot in the lineup behind Rollins. With a 1-2 switch-hitting combo at the top of the lineup, it should be potent. As far as I’m concerned JRoll Vic are set in stone.

Consider Poly. Great average but is the #3 spot hurting his average? I know this wont be popular but if Brown is hitting, Poly should bat 6th.

OK, that leaves Ibanez/Mayberry. With what Raul has been showing in the month of may, he has been the teams May MVP – .323 average, 5 hrs (tied with Howard) 15 rbi (4 more than Howard) and a .581 slugging percentage (way better than Howard). When Raul is cold, there is no telling how long that will last and its not pretty to see. I’d say let Mayberry platoon with Raul, when Raul starts to cool (as will happen) put Jr in the lineup. But, they both are hitting 7th.

JRoll
    Vic
    Brown
    Howard
    Utley
    Poly
    Ibanez/Mayberry
    Chooch

If Brown does not kick in:

Jroll
    Vic
    Poly
    Howard
    Utley
    Ibanez/Mayberry
    Ben Fran/Brown
    Chooch

I also think a very perplexing situation is coming very soon, when Vic comes up who’s place does he take but not only that, when Lidge is ready do you send JC down (please say yes!) and who closes from that point?

12. TheDipsy

May 28, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Don. Shane can’t hit lefty.

Rollins
    Polanco
    Utley
    Howard
    Ibanez (till he wakes up)
    Shane
    Brown/Mayberry
    Chooch

The Dipsy

13. Andrew From Waldorf

May 28, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I find it interesting that people just pencil in Ibanez with his ,923 home OPS and .370 road OPS.

One of the stat geeks can tell us just how good .923 is and how bad .370 is.
    I want to say its top 10% home and lowest 10% road but its worse than that.

.370 on base plus slugging

Ibanez
    Brown
    Ruiz
    Cole

16. betasigmadeltashag

May 28, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I know it is going to come across that I want Dom Brown to fail. But really outside some hard hit outs, and the Error I mean hit he got last night what has where has he shown he is ready to play every day. He still needs to work at the plate and in the field. I would not be surprised if he is sent back down when Vic comes back. Mayberry has shown that he can play centerfield pretty well. And if he stays who goes, I think Mayberry has to stay to back up Vic, and I think if not Brown then they offer Marteniz back to Washington. Now that would leave you with one back up infielder in Valdez. My line ups
    RHP
    Jimmy, Poly, Chase,Howard, Raul, Vic, Chooch, Brown(if he is still here) Mayberry/Fransisco Pitcher
    LHP
    JImmy Poly, Chase, Howard, Mayberry, Vic, Fransisco, Chooch Pitcher

What about even moving Vic to rightfield,or leftfield against LHP and letting Mayberry play center. I do not think Brown starts against lefties, but if they have a lefty relever face him let him stay in. I also would not object to replacing Brown if the Phillies have a two or three run ifor his defense

17. bacardipr05

May 28, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I still think Mayberry isnt a great hitter at this point sorry just my feeling. He has done some good things but he just doesnt seem he can hit for average at this point. We will need 2 outfielders next year once Ibanez is gone. I think Brown an Mayberry will be battling it out for that starter role for next year. Then hopefully they will sign another proven Vet an one or the other will go or possibly Ben Fran will get traded in a package deal.

18. john

May 28, 2011 at 5:58 pm

font blows.. i hate coming to the site just because of it

19. Emile

May 28, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I’d like a little more power after Howard. He won’t see too many strikes with Shane after him in the lineup. I like how you put some speed at the 5th and 6th hitters to semi-restart the lineup there, but Howard needs more protection than Victorino. I’d play the lineup according to who’s currently hot. My lineup today (against RHP Pelfrey) would look like this:

1. Rollins
    2. Utley
    3. Polanco
    4. Howard
    5. Ibanez
    6. Mayberry (in center)
    7. Brown
    8. Chooch

I’d simply substitute Victorino for Mayberry when he comes back, although I agree that Mayberry needs to get starts with how well he has been playing (I’d easily play him over Francisco any day right now)

20. Sse01

May 28, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Polly in 3 hole has been hurting us. Yes he is hitting .320, but it’s been sliding down from .398 all month. Plus he has no power, doesn’t walk or steal bases.