2011 Game Recaps

Phillies Battle Back for 5-2 Win

Tonight’s game on FOX was one to appreciate.  It was the type of well-balanced, come-from-behind effort that successful seasons are build upon.

It started with a solid pitching performance from Cole Hamels who finished the game after seven innings allowing 8 hits and 2 earned runs among 10 strikeouts.  The Mets’ hits and runs came early – in the first and third innings – but not often.  The combination of Cole Hamels, Jose Contreras and Ryan Madson retired the Mets in order starting with one out in the fourth – 17 straight batters.

Mike Pelfry certainly matched Cole’s efforts but ended up taking the loss as he was unable to get that final out in the eighth.  In that inning, we saw some classic Phillies offense.  Down 2-1, with two outs, JRoll singled, stole second then scored on a Chase Utley single. Chase finished the game with two hits and two runs after he stole second then scored along with Placido Polanco when Ryan Howard doubled later in the inning.  The Phils added an insurance run in the ninth when Domonic Brown and Ben Francisco both doubled.

Vance Worley takes to the hill on Sunday afternoon – and Phillies Nation is making the trip north for another awesome bus trip.  We’ll get a first hand look at the Mess that is New York baseball.  Go Phils!

Click to comment

May 28, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Brian, I assume you will be at the game Monday right? Where are you guys sitting in case I can make it?

• Brian Michael

May 29, 2011 at 12:34 pm

We’re in a bunch of sections. I’ll be in 106, but our Phillies groups all along the outfield.

2. The Original Chuck P

May 28, 2011 at 11:06 pm

When Chase doubled in Jimmy, it looked like Jimmy was attempting to steal third… Curious if anyone asked whether that was a hit and run. If not, it kind of looked like a defensive swing by Chase- almost like he didn’t think Jimmy had the jump.

Great win… Would be nice to sweep tomorrow. Carry a nice winning streak 5 game win steak back to the front of the rotation.

3. Andrew From Waldorf

May 28, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Since the return of Utley and Brown the Phillies are indeed the best team in baseball

4. Andrew From Waldorf

May 28, 2011 at 11:18 pm

And I just learned from Vin Scully that Gregg Dobbs has almost competed his business degree on line!
    Way to go Greggy

May 28, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Terry Collins over-managed the eighth. I always say managers can only lose games, player win them. He had a different pitcher for every hitter and nothing worked. I thought Jerry Manuel was an idiot.

I agree with Andrew Utley and Brown have given the team a lift. Very impressed with Mayberry in the field and just the pure athleticism of both he and Brown.

Utley gives the team a lift by working the opposing pitchers hard, even if he’s not hitting. And when he looks like he’s able to move around very well in the field and on the bases. I hope the injury remains manageable, we really missed him.

May 28, 2011 at 11:24 pm

They let Sanches go to more than 50 pitches. Marlins are really tough this year. I’m impressed every time I watch them. They are the sleeper team in the NL this year.

7. Andrew From Waldorf

May 28, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Should have just left Pelfrey in

But when McCarver called the move brilliant before a single pitch it was a bad omen for them.

The Marlins are really good

8. Andrew From Waldorf

May 28, 2011 at 11:27 pm

They arent a sleeper to me

If Lee Hallday and Hamels ran into each other in the outfiled and went on the DL the Marlins would win the division easy.

If fans attend next year in thier new ballpark could be really tough.

Since no one comes to thier games now they are actually a better road team.

May 28, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Braves won. Bottom 12

May 28, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I just mean that everyone says Braves are our rival in the east, and I think they’re not keeping their eyes open. Anibal has been unhittable, Johnson is great, and their hitters can hit.

11. Andrew From Waldorf

May 28, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Gaby Sanchez just seems to get hits.
    If they win tonight with a guy making his first career start with a 50 pitch limit
    says alot

May 28, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Coughlan, Ramirez,Morrison, Snachez, Stanton- it’s a pretty formidable line up.

That’s not Coughlan’s fault, what else could he do.

Morrison runs very well.

May 28, 2011 at 11:48 pm

First Career win for Cole in New York? I knew his record wasn’t good against them, but didn’t realize that.

14. Andrew From Waldorf

May 28, 2011 at 11:55 pm

The Dodgers line up is actually pretty dreadful

15. Andrew From Waldorf

May 28, 2011 at 11:59 pm

And Dobbs leads off the 6th with a double

kind if upsets me but I wish him the best

16. Andrew From Waldorf

May 29, 2011 at 12:11 am

And Wes Helms gets a 2 RBI pinch hit
    With Babe Dobbs scoring

17. phils_ftw

May 29, 2011 at 12:38 am

Babe Dobbs 3-4 with 2 RBIs in the Marlins game

18. Andrew From Waldorf

May 29, 2011 at 1:09 am

Dont forget Wes Gehrigs 2 RBI

It used to take Dobbs 3 months to get 3 hits with the Phillies

Did Helms ever have a 2 rbi hit for the Phillies?

Marlins winning 6-1

They are very much for real
    JJ on the DL now

19. Andrew From Waldorf

May 29, 2011 at 1:17 am

Babe is hitting .362

And giving them Brooks Robinson defense at 3b

20. Ken

May 29, 2011 at 5:42 am

Ive been worried about the Marlins since Opening Day but every Phils fan I talk to says the same thing “they fade in the second half. dont worry about them”. Quite frankly I am worried about them. They have the second best pitching in the division.

21. Brooks

May 29, 2011 at 7:28 am

Hey Ken – Dont worry, they fade in the warmer weather.

AFW – Dobbs was the man in 07 and 08.. short term bud?

Seriously, if the Marlins are still competing by the end of June they may get a raised eyebrow.
    Gregg Dobbs is not going to beat you. Wes Helms (fortunately) only plays the Phils a handful of times.. I dont know what happened but one of the premier SS in baseball Ramirez is hitting a whopping .211 – yes, they are winning getting some key hits. Even if this offense does ‘turn it on’ some, they are not capable of giving the Phils a serious run.

Marlins have some pretty good starters, but not nearly enough ‘stuff’ to threaten the Phils.

22. Brooks

May 29, 2011 at 7:39 am

There are a few here that give entirely too much ink the the stinkin Fish – but on to the game last night – the top of the eight was classic for Phils fans. Just classic. Jroll with the 2 out single, a SB, knocked in by Utley who then steals second and advances to third on the bad throw from our buddy Paulino. Poly walks and slam, Ryan comes through with the 2 out bases clearing double.

Along with a great performance by Cole (was that his best game of the year so far?) – the key hitting by the ‘money’ or ‘meat’ of our lineup makes the Cholly express pretty much unbeatable.

When this lineup hits, its what we pay to see, its classic Phillies baseball – now, if they could just bottle that and take a dose of it “When Needed”!

• Lefty

May 29, 2011 at 8:07 am

Fill the prescription Dr. Brooks!

There is nothing better than a two out rally. I like the way the old man has them running aggressively.

I think it was Cole’s best so far, you know how you can tell? It looked like it was going to be a wasted effort when they pinch hit for him and got the second out.

But then Jimmy came up…and the rest is history. 7 wins for Cole puts him in a tie as League leader.

• Brooks

May 29, 2011 at 8:17 am

the ‘projected’ stats have Cole at 22 wins – I know, means nothing (as Ubaldo Jimenez!) but still cool that Cole is pitching great.

• Brooks

May 29, 2011 at 8:29 am

You’re right Lefty – man that comes out good – I was pretty certain that was a wasted effort by Cole – and I was whining to my friends when Cole came out, did you see Doobi consoling Colebert after the 7th? I think Cole might have been saying I can hit this crap as well as any of our PH (well, maybe not but not too far off). Cole was on fire last night.

• Lefty

May 29, 2011 at 10:25 am

I think Cole was right- he, Cliff and little Roy have been some of our best hitters this week.

Pitchers hitting, Utility players winning games as a pitcher- it’s Bizarro world 🙂