2011 Game Recaps

Phillies Fail to Sweep Mets Again

The Phillies dropped a tough one to their former rivals 9-5 this afternoon behind the first shaky start of Vance Worley young career.

The Amazins were able to post 4 runs in both the first and second innings using a combination of small ball and Phillies miscues. Although Worley shut out the Mets in his last outing, they quickly jumped on him for 12 hits in three innings. Jose Reyes, who had two triples on the day, claimed that his team was now used to seeing the rookie pitcher and his stuff. They certainly were sitting on fastballs early in the count and used that strategy to rack up the hits.

With the ugly start, Charlie Manuel sent in Kyle Kendrick to eat another three innings before allowing Romero and Baez to finish the game. The discussion has started on how long of a leash Vance gets after this outing, but I can’t imagine it will have much affect on the skipper’s decision to continue to use him as the fifth man over Kendrick while Blanton is out. He’ll get another chance later in the week against Pittsburgh – so let’s table that discussion at least until then.

Nonetheless, the 8-0 hole Worley left for his offense was certainly a daunting task to overcome, especially without Howard, Utley, Ruiz and Victorino in the lineup. Yet, that didn’t stop the subs from trying. In the third, the Phils got their first run home on a Polanco single and managed to load the bases with one out. It was looking like they might get back in the game, but Ibanez popped out and BenFran struckout to kill the rally.

Like last night, the Phillies offense waited until the Mets starter was lifted before they really got the bats out. In the eighth, Raul lead off with a solo homer and was followed by RBI hits from Dane Sardina and Domonic Brown. A BenFran double in the ninth capped off the scoring for the boys in red.

The loss put the Phils-Mets season series at 6-3 in favor of the good guys. This also means the Phils start their nine game road trip 2-1 against the worst teams in NL; and are 15-12 with 2 games remaining in the month of May. Tomorrow Roy Halladay takes to the mound on Memorial Day in our nation’s capital – Phillies Nation will be there again for our second consecutive road trip in two days. I’m expecting a win.

Click to comment

1. Bruce

May 29, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Well..it was a stinker..right? It was the Mets’ turn to have some fun at the expense of a totally ineffective pitching by Worley. As mentioned in the column, the Mets aggressively attacked early in the count; sitting on Worley’s fastballs to the tune of 12 hits in just three innings. TWELVE HITS!! He was so hittable that the Mets’ batboy wanted to grab a bat and hit (chuckles).

Charlie Manuel could have taken Worley out in the third inning when it was his turn to bat but chose not to do so. It gave the Mets another out and subsequently, the Phillies’ rally died with just one run scored in that inning. I know the excuse about giving the bullpen rest (although, only Madson and Contreras were used the previous night). That also explains his resting some of his position players. However, leaving in Worley, who was terrible, is like giving a message of surrender..waving a white flag. Plus a Phillies ‘B’ squad on the field that probably didn’t create any fears in the minds of the players for the Mets (chuckles).

Oh well…looking on the bright side, the Phillies did win the series and Dominic Brown is beginning to assert himself offensively and raised his batting average over .300 on his limited number of at bats. Ibanez continued his hot hitting with another HR (his sixth of the month).

2. Jeff

May 29, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Like I said I hate reyes would take him over rollins and utley. the man is dirty but he can play baby. reyes for howard straight up. ryan is a turd/

• Andrew From Waldorf

May 30, 2011 at 12:01 am

Jeff the Mets are unloading contracts. Not taking on one of the biggest in the league.

3. Greg

May 29, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I don’t post much, but I’ve been around for years, and I’ve got to say, Jeff is an idiot if he honestly would choose Reyes over Howard. That .676 OPS away from Shitti Field looks really damn good, definitely worth over-paying for.

Anyway, I didn’t come on here just to flame someone and leave. I mainly wanted to discuss Domonic Brown. WOW! He’s been pretty damn good (SSS, of course). Still, I believe he was something like 3-16 with PH appearances last year? I’m fairly sure he’s 2-2 for 3-3 this year, so far. His hands do seem a bit lower than last year’s debut, as well. Pitchers have been attacking him up and inside, but they’re getting called balls, and he isn’t swinging. Taking walks, hitting for average and for modest power so far ( I fully expect him to be a 20 HR guy down the line, minimum, along with around 20+ doubles and 15+ Steals). Really showing off his 5-tool potential so far. I’m really excited about him, way more so than last year, and I hope he’s here to stay for good this time.

4. Brooks

May 30, 2011 at 1:06 am

Greg, Jeff has been this way for a long, long time – I suppose many of us have gotten used to his rantings, as abstract and nonsensical as they are sometimes. Whenever the Phils are in a tight one or playing their “B” squad like they did today and get hammered, Jeff starts crapping away and its almost like seeing the sun come up in the morning, you expect it from him.

Regardless, I agree with you about D Brown which leads into the question what happens when Vic comes off the DL which is pretty soon.

• ray

May 30, 2011 at 1:12 am

A coupld of things I’ve learned about Jeff from reading this blog. He’s a ny giants fan and a phillies fan. He seems to enjoy a Wawa sandwich(can’t remember which one)….I mean, how much more of a loser can one be? Also, he shovels crap for a living.

• Chuck

May 30, 2011 at 7:57 am

Hey….I like a Wawa sandwich once in awhile, too. Am I a loser??

5. Andrew From Waldorf

May 30, 2011 at 1:38 am

One thing about Jeff is he is interesting and entertaining.

To someone who just happened upon here and just read one of his posts he does come off as a mental patient.

Dom Brown is for real. The athleticism and youth is something the Phillies really desperately needed. Finaly since he and Utley have been playing every day the Phils are once again the best team in the NL.

6. TheDipsy

May 30, 2011 at 8:08 am

Reyes, depending on the salary he commands (6y50m?) is more valuable as an asset than Howard. Ryan is a civic treasure but he is wayyyyyyy overpaid. If you could sign sign Reyes for that contract AFTER the season, and trade Howard and let Rollins go, you A) get the best player; B) get a lot younger; C) get rid of a lotta salary. Quite frankly, its not that hard to find a slugging first baseman. Not advocating this….just responding to posts.

The DIpsy

• Bruce

May 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm

@Dipsy: I won’t go there in regards to your Reyes/Howard suggestion. It defies logic when mentioning two totally different type of players and their value to the team when making such comparison. And yes, neither one “grows on trees”.

You suggested “6yr50m” for Reyes? Try 6yrs AND $100 million. That I think will be the going market rate for a player of his caliber in spite of the Mets owner Wilpon’s declaration that he won’t get a Crawford type contract (chuckles).

7. Brooks

May 30, 2011 at 8:23 am

Dispy, Reyes will never knock in 140 rbi, I dont care where he bats, it wont happen.
    I really dont think that Howard is replaceable on this team, unless you went with Big Al and that wont happen.

If or when the Phils no longer have Ryan Howard in their lineup, the mantra will be ‘We are rebuilding’. We heard that for what seems decades.

8. TheDipsy

May 30, 2011 at 10:01 am

Well Brooks, mispoke. Reyes is the more desirable player than Howard. Plenty of teams have won the WS w/o a guy that goes 50/140 in the middle of the lineup. In fact, most teams that win it don’t have that. If you replace Howard with Reyes now have something like this:

Reyes
    Polanco
    Utley
    Guy you get in trade or FA 1B
    Guy you get in trade or FA LF
    Brown
    Victorino
    Chooch

Now, you assume those guys at 4 and 5 are gonna be good hitters. The reason for that would be the new found financial flexibility and minor league guys that you can use to get them. And please don’t say that “these guys just don’t grow on trees”. Because when you are dangling Howard to a moribund franchise or St. Louis along with out stable of young picthers then, yes, they will be readily available.

The Dipsy

9. Dr. Dave

May 30, 2011 at 11:58 am

Did anyone really believe that we were going to win yesterday when the starting lineup was announced? I wrote the game off before it even started.

We started our #6 starter.

No Victorino, Utley, Howard, or Ruiz. Valdez hitting 2nd and Ibanez, the only LH batter in the lineup hitting cleanup.

Ugly!

10. Dr. Dave

May 30, 2011 at 12:02 pm

As for the Rollins/Reyes discussion: Reyes is 4 years younger and at this point, he is the much better offensive player and is certainly a better lead off hitter due to his triples and SB potential. I still think Jimmy is the better defensive SS.

Long term: Reyes, no doubt.

11. Bob in Bucks

May 31, 2011 at 10:32 am

I was at the game. I saw what I was afraid of seeing which was our latest phenom going down in flames. The Mets had clearly watched the tape and they were ready for Worley’s pitches and wasted no time in jumping on him. Worley still has value but I see it more as a reliever than a starter, unless he comes up with some really good alternate pitches.

Lineup sucked but the Phillies still could have one this one if JRoll had not made two bad moves, the error and the stretch for second base on his single.

In any case, I was not particularly impressed with Citi Field. It is OK but it feels closed in and the ads are overpowering compared to CBP.