The Return of Werth

As T-Mac would say, “Heeee’s Baaaaaack!” Jayson Werth makes his return to Citizens Bank Park tonight at 7:05 in what will likely be a boo vs. cheer-fest, at least to start. Some couldn’t get enough of the guy, others have had enough.

Whether you believe he was right or wrong for taking the money and running, Werth is in a less-enviable situation in Washington D.C. His Nationals are  4 1/2 games out, but are looking like a team that does have a bit of potential. How far they go this year will depend a lot on our bearded friend.

Share some stories here if you’d like, or tell us if he should be booed or cheered by the sellout crowd tonight at Citizens Bank Park. I’ll be posting video Werth later on here at the park, in what should be a media frenzy.

Click to comment

1. theprez98

May 3, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Cheer the first time he is introduced, then boo him incessantly afterwards. 😉

2. bfo_33

May 3, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I’d like to say that I understand the bitterness some have against Werth, but I don’t. He didn’t pull a Damon, state he’d never play for the Yanks, then ran to them for just a little more money. Werth was very honest all along, he was going for his one big payday.

He played hard while he was here, and was a huge part of the success of the team, had some great moments (stealing home, stealing 2nd and 3rd against Wagner, the walk off hits and opposite field bombs, cannon assists from right, as well as a few misadventures on the basepaths and in the field) and was a huge part of the WFC 2008. He deserves a standing O at intros, then boo him all you want the rest of the night. My guess is he will get close to as many boos as cheers.

3. TheDipsy

May 3, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I could care less about the talent laden, underachieving, bland and standoffish, third strike lookin at’, getting picked off at 2nd base bein’ (by the catcher!), whatever else you wanna call him. He Borased up in the middle of last season to ler everybody know that it was all about the Benjamins in the middle of the pennant race when he was hitting .0000065 with RISP. Thank you for your contributions (and I mean that) but I never liked ya much. Good luck in Washington. First in war, first in peace, last in the National league. He sold his soul to go play in that cesspool and don’t let me hear people say “Ohhhhhh, they got some good young players”. They stink and will always stink.

Good to see that gravity has finally taken hold and Jimmy and Shane are 1 and 2 in the batting order again. Does anyone NOT know the definition of “insanity”. I can’t wait to watch another summer of Thelma and Louise flying out, getting thrown out at third with one out, and just generally being not constructive save the occasional heart stopping triple that always fakes everyone into believing (again!) that these guys are about to “really get it goin”.

Ho hum! More of the same: heat, gnats, blowing hot dog wrappers, Chris Wheeler, August, strikeouts, stranded runners. Take heart though Phils fans for its all part of the process. Thats what we do. July and August is time to bitch and I’m ready!

The Dipsy

• Lefty

May 3, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Someone had a grouchy day 🙂

Let’s see Jimmy 1st, Shane 2nd, – hmmm I remember that order from somewhere? Oh yeah the 2008 WFC.

4. Ron

May 3, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I agree Jayson Werth was finally in a position that all athletes wait for…while he may or may not achieve the same team success with the Nationals he went for the one big contract that he was in line for…and anyone who says they would’nt is kidding themselves…he wanted security and I don’t blame him at all. I’m a Jayson Werth fan but not in this series.

5. The Face

May 3, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Cheer his first at bat, then boo him afterwards.

May 3, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Welcome back Jayson Werth!

7. Jeff

May 3, 2011 at 5:34 pm

these athletes are all the same. greedy players. thats why i dont love sports.

8. Marrrk

May 3, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Is the criteria for being a journalist simply just having the balls to ask ridiculous questions directly to someone’s face? “In your perfect world, where would you rather be playing?” is that what the guy said (hard to hear)? seriously?

• Pat Gallen

May 3, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Mark that was what was said. And it was a very, very well respected member of the National Media (not stark).

9. David

May 3, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I’m a little on the fence. He deserves to be cheered for what he did here, but at the same time it was ALL about money and not desire to win. If he had signed with the Yankees or Red Sox, I would at least understand his desire to win…for more money.

10. Andrew from waldorf

May 3, 2011 at 6:20 pm

The Senators were greedy and over paid him.
    Cant blame Jayson cant blame the Phils.
    Blame the senators
    I wish him the best.
    He is on my fantasy team 🙂

• Pat Gallen

May 3, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Andrew, love you call them the Senators.