Too Soon to Think About Contract Extensions? – Phillies Nation
Posts

Too Soon to Think About Contract Extensions?

It might seem a little bit too ear;y to discuss this, but Jimmy Rollins and Cole Hamels are both playing in the last year of their contract.  Hamels is still arbitration eligible for 2012 – so it’s not like we’re going to lose him, but I’m wondering if we jump right now, can we get a bit of a discount?  After seeing what Cliff Lee got in Free Agency, there is no doubt that Hamels will want max value, and to land what would be his “career deal.”  I’m wondering if the Phillies go after him now with a solid offer, maybe he’ll realize that security is worth a lot too.   Jimmy Rollins is perhaps a more complex case, the guy has unmeasurable “swagger,” but the other things that can be measured are all starting to decline.

We might need Jay Floyd to chime in with something more in-depth here, but from the looks of it, SS isn’t exactly the deepest position on the farm.  We’ve heard the name Freddy Galvis for a few years, but the story with him has been a great defender with very little offense… are we ready to push Rollins out the door for that?

I know that we all want to get younger, and keeping Rollins isn’t following that plan, but if we keep the deal within a 2-3 year window, still have Rollins while this rotation is in place, and it wouldn’t be something to handcuff the team, I would be in favor.  I’ve also mentioned before that I think Rollins could shift to 3rd base if we wanted to extend his career a little bit (though I’ve heard him say in interviews that he’s a short stop, and once he can’t do that anymore he doesn’t know if he would want to continue playing).

So what would YOU guys do… let Hamels go to arbitration next year, or just let this year pass – figure out what Roy Oswalt wants to do and how much money you can commit going forward?

Do we want to let Rollins end the season without a contract in place for next year?  Share your thoughts, play the General Manager for a while.

Click to comment

1. Andrew From Waldorf

May 21, 2011 at 3:18 pm

You can always make an offer and if it isnt an insult all they can do is say no.

Cole is very valuable. Probably the most valuable poker chip the Phillies have. Because of his age and arm and experience. So you let him goto arbitration. Then If you cant get a deal done you think about moving him because he has the most value.

Im not too worried about Jimmy. Id offer 3 years 24 million and let him decide. If he says no. He goes to free agency and if somone wants to get stupid like the Nationals did with Werth. Good bye Jimmy and thank you for your service. But I am not going to get stupid with him. He does still have great value though because of his glove. Moving him to third doesnt make sense to me. He would have little value there IMO.

Same thing with Utley. If its the .976 OPS Utley yes move him to left if can swing that bat. The .830 OPS utley isnt really worth paying to play left field and Id look to move him in a trade. Hopefully while the name still has some marquee value.

• Publius

May 21, 2011 at 4:39 pm

You do realize that current Phillies LFers have an OPS well under .650 right? So paying Chase to put up those numbers significantly improves the Phillies, though I still think its worth keeping Chase at 2B for as long as possible.

Anyways, Cole is of paramount importance to extend first. These old pitchers won’t be around forever, so young studs like Cole are needed to shore up the Phillies future rotation. Rollins we should at least try to extend, though he is definitely more expendable than Cole, simply because Cole is younger and more likely to help the team further into the future. If Rollins does go, mediocre SS can be found in the FA market. Granted whoever we get won’t pack the offensive punch of Rollins, but that gap can be addressed through other means.

• Andrew From Waldorf

May 21, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Yes I am aware. But 2010 Utley was alot like 2010 Ibanez.
        We dont know what 2011 Utley will be yet
        Neither of them put up the stats Id like to see from a LFer on a championship team.

I am saying that if its Utley (07-08) who has numbers comparable to Ryan Braun then move him to LF. If hes a liability at 2nd. With being a cripple and all now.

To sum it up.
        The big hitting .900 plus OPS Utley I am fine moving to LF. The light hitting Utley isnt worth it. While sure he would be better than what we have. But we field probably the worst LF in the majors so it isnt saying much.

2. The Dipsy

May 21, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I would ask Jimmy to accept a one or two year contract at the clubs price and if he doesn’t wanna play for it, then part ways. Aside from not being the offensive player he used to be, he has also lost a step in the field this year. Cole must be resigned. He is turning into a Jedi Master.

The Dipsy

3. Andrew From Waldorf

May 21, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I still think Rollins is still as good as it gets defensively.

I would make part of the contract talks letting him know he would be hitting towards the bottom of the line up in the future.

But bottom line. Like the Nats with Werth.
    I think some team will get stupid Jimmy=
    which means
    Thank you for your service.

4. ChuckS

May 21, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I think the most important player to worry about is Ryan Madson

5. bacardipr05

May 21, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Yeah lets not forget Madson. I would sign Cole i would like to keep Rollins only if he accepts a 2 year contract maybe 15 Mill. Rollins is in decline offensively an shouldnt command so much money I would think. Rollins still has a good glove i think at this point he has only lost a half step in that department. What’s up with this Garcia kid i thought he was the future.

6. Don M

May 21, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I think 3 years, $24 M for Rollins is too much at this point…. and I wasn’t suggesting we move him to 3b, but its a transition he could make when Polanco retires or his deal runs out..

I too think that extending Hamels is a definite MUST DO… he’s still improving and if we can sign him now I think that improves our chances of saving a little coin, not much, but a little

I forgot about Madson when writing this, but I think they want to make sure he can lock down the closers role (it looks like he can so far), but I think he stated he wants to remain with the Phillies both before/after his wife told some lady our fans were annoying or whatever. Madson was ranked in my presseason Top 10 Phillies Right now for that reason – I thought he could be the future at the back end

7. The Dipsy

May 21, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I was thinking 2y11m for Jimmy, actually.

The Dipsy

8. bacardipr05

May 21, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Nice that Madson has some Cojones an doesnt let the wife control him Don M….lol..

9. Andrew From Waldorf

May 21, 2011 at 7:10 pm

So I guess we all agree hes leaving.
    Which I have no problem with.

Some one is going to give him 8-10 million per for 2 or 3 years.
    They are paying for the name, the world series ring and the MVP trophy.

A team like the Nationals would love to get a name like his. And theyd over pay. Sound familar?

10. Andrew From Waldorf

May 21, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Thank you fox for giving me the Mets-Yankees
    Really who cares anymore?

As if its not bad enough you black out my phils for one of a few times in the year

Then you give me Tim Mccarver on top of that.

Maybe I will see an A-bomb from A-hole and big save from K-fraud

Its so exciting

11. Andrew From Waldorf

May 21, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Beltran is in the last year of his contract.

He would be a good fit for the phillies. He is playing like he did before the mets got him.
    Last time he was playing for a contract.
    Obviously you wouldnt even want him for next year so it isnt some big move or youth movement. But he would be a nice rental and RF or LF for the phils for this year.

Like his stay in Houston. the last time he was a good player.

12. Matt Kwasiborski

May 21, 2011 at 10:15 pm

You need to lock up Madson, if you can. Boras is now his agent and he hardly ever locks up his clients during the season. And Madson is giving Boras all the credit for fixing his mental approach. Honestly, I would like to see Madson go the entire season as closer.

Cole is the guy who will lead the next generation of youngesters we have been reading about in single A and Double A. He will be their Moyer/Lee/Halladay if we do keep him. Oswalt probably won’t be back and along with Lidge and Ibanez’s contracts gone, we will have money to make a move.