Zagurski Recalled after Worley Sent to Lehigh Valley

Left-hander Mike Zagurski was recalled from triple-A Lehigh Valley, the Phillies announced today.  Zagurski takes the roster spot of right-hander Vance Worley, who was optioned to Lehigh Valley following yesterday’s game in Washington, D.C.

This is Zagurski’s second recall this season, having previously appeared in two games for the Phillies in April.  With Lehigh Valley, the 28-year-old was 1-0 with nine saves and a 1.88 ERA in 14 games.  He had 23 strikeouts in 14.1 innings (14.4 SO/9.0 IP) and was holding opponents to a .196 batting average.

Worley, 23, went 2-1 with a 3.75 ERA in six games (four starts) for the Phillies this year and 2-2 with a 3.51 ERA in five starts for Lehigh Valley.

It sounds like the Phillies are just trying to get Worley’s arm stretched out again after two lackluster performances following a long layoff. He’ll be able to do that in Triple-A. Plus, it helps that the Phillies have a Thursday off day, meaning they won’t need a fifth starter until June 8. And even at that time, they could go with Kyle Kendrick, giving Worley even more time to get his pitch count and stamina back.

Click to comment

1. Don M

May 31, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I hope this means that the rotation stays on regular rest and I get to see Halladay pitch in Pittsburgh on Saturday! . . . I was nervous that i’d get stuck with a Kendrick start … again!

2. Pat Gallen

May 31, 2011 at 1:18 pm

If you want to see a breakdown of the rotation, check out High Cheese. Dave has a crazy breakdown of it all.

Wow Don, you’re cutting it close there with KK.

3. Chuck

May 31, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I sort of remember KK pitching a pretty good game in Pittsburgh last year. Check this out….COMPLETE GAME:

4. Don M

May 31, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I still might get him because I kinda think Halladay must just be in his DEAD ARM period, and pitching through it right now… so maybe they’ll give him an extra day of rest – which would completely suck . . .

If 2 of the 3 games I go to this season have Kyle Kendrick as our starter… I’d get to see fireworks both DURING and AFTER the game on Saturday

5. George L.

May 31, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Blanton, if he were honest about his health issues he would of not cost the Phillies three wins or four. Worley getting sent back and forth, threw him off, had kendric pitch 10 mins before a game. The Phillies cannot get back those 3-4 loses caused by Blanton’s arm issues. Toward the end of the year this might be forgotten, but since its still a tight race every win is needed, and the Phillies could of had a lot larger lead. Blanton is just as much blame as their is to Worley. Worley having that 15 day lay-off for a young pitcher is just like telling a hot bat on the bench to sit for 15 days and being expected to hit homers every night, sorry ain’t going to happen.

George L.

• Pat Gallen

May 31, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Great point about Worley. And yeah, Blanton pitching was just an idiotic move. As soon as I knew he was still dealing with pain, but still pitching, I knew it wasn’t going to end well. Never does.

6. TheDipsy

May 31, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Don – I think its more of a “pitching is sweltering 95 degree heat arm,” thats getting. Word has it that he went into the locker room in the fifth inning and changed his entire uniform.

The Dipsy

7. Andrew From Waldorf

May 31, 2011 at 2:30 pm

It is hotter today.
    I am going tonight. Thank god its a night game.

DC gets like this. But we also had no snow to shovel this last year which was nice.

• Chuck

May 31, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I shoveled more snow than I care to even think about this past winter here in Bucks Co. These past two winters really sucked.

8. Brian Michael

May 31, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I’ll be at tonight’s game too. Party in Lot W – 6th and M streets.

9. bacardipr05

May 31, 2011 at 5:41 pm

For some reason Zagurski always struggles when called up. Then again the Phils havent given him much of a chance. I said give one of them a real chance an cut JC i believe JC is done. Or at least they should send JC down to get some innings in.