Analysis

Phillies, Hamels Discussing One-Year Deal?

Have the Phillies and Cole Hamels hit a negotiating snag?

Phillies Assistant GM Scott Proefrock tells Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that the Phillies and Cole Hamels are unlikely to come to terms on a multi-year extension at this time and are instead focused on a one-year deal.

Hamels is arbitration eligible this season after finishing up a 3-year contract this past season. He stands to make $14 million or more through arbitration, but the Phillies are hoping it doesn’t get that far.

“We’ve had discussions with Cole,”  Proefrock tells CSN.  “Right now, we’re focused on a one-year deal.”

“There’s plenty of time down the road,” Proefrock said. “That’s all I’ll say. Right now we’re focused on a one-year arbitration deal.”

Proefrock also mentioned what he told us on 97.3 ESPN FM in South Jersey a few weeks ago; that Hamels, by all accounts, is happy in Philadelphia and wants to stay here long term. He and his wife, Heidi, have a family here and have their foundation set up in Philadelphia.

As Salisbury notes, there have been no indications of any trouble between the two sides, although the Phillies notoriously keep negotiations close to the vest.

If this report is indeed true, it will make for some trying times in the near future. They CANNOT (repeat, CANNOT) afford to lose the youngest of their three remaining aces. They must do everything in their power to give him a fair market value deal and keep him in Philadelphia for a long, long time. You’re looking at a possible Steve Carlton-like scenario here. Lefties this good come around once a generation (lucky for the Phillies, they have two of them right now, one being slightly older). It’s imperative Hamels remain in Phillies pinstripes for the foreseeable future.

Before we get crazy, let’s let the situation play out. Don’t jump off the bridge just yet, this could be just a small road block between the two sides.

Click to comment

1. TheDipsy

January 10, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Pat……Steve Carlton? Please, respected poster, do a quick stat check and reassess. A one year deal? OK. Why? Just so they don’t have to talk mean about each other in arbitration or because you wanna make sure is arm is ok?

The Dipsy

• Pat Gallen

January 10, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Dipsy, I know Carlton’s stats. He played in a different era. Hamels can be nearly as dominant, he might just be scratching the surface. And note, I said Carlton-like. Seeing him in this uniform for most of his career, and him being a top notch lefty. It all fits the bill. I didn’t call him Carlton.

• EricL

January 10, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Dipsy, the comparison isn’t bad.

Comparing age to age, the non-counting stats from their age 22-27 seasons are as follows:

ERA+: Carlton 124, Cole 126
      K/9: Carlton 8.5, Cole 7.1
      BB/9: Carlton 3.0, Cole 2.3
      H/9: Carlton 7.9, Cole 8.0
      WHIP: Carlton 1.207, Cole 1.141

Carlton, playing in the era in which he played, of course had a lot more innings pitched, and complete games, and with that comes more strikeouts, but as far as talent goes, age for age they’re VERY close.

• EricL

January 10, 2012 at 11:59 pm

And my mistake, I transposed the K/9 numbers. Cole actually strikes out batters at the higher rate than Lefty. Cole has the 8.5 K/9 for his career while Lefty had 7.1 K/9 through the same years.

If you shift the comparison to Cole’s first 5 years in the majors to Lefty’s first 5 years in the majors the stats favor Hamels even more, although they’re still generally in the same ballpark.

• Lefty

January 11, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Hey watch it punk! j.k.

Good analysis EricL- They are much closer than I would have thought. Cole could never beat him in arm wrestling though!

2. TheDipsy

January 10, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Noted.

The Dipsy

3. Chuck A.

January 10, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Hamels is not Steve Carlton….yet…..but the Phillies can’t let him get away. The one-year deal doesn’t scare me, even though I would like to see an extension done BEFORE the season even begins.

4. BART SHART

January 10, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I cannot feel that this is a harbinger of less than favorable events for the Phils regarding Hamels. I wonder what we could get for him on the trade market? NO, I do not want him to leave the Phils, but I certainly do not want him to walk and see us get nothing of real value, like with Schilling. Then again, I am inclined to over-react and hope that is indeed the case regarding this news.

I hear that Madson will sign soon with the Reds. Wish him luck.

5. BART SHART

January 10, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Only Randy Johnson in the past twenty five years can be compared to Steve Carlton when you consider power pitching and clutch performances. Glavin, no. Sabbathia, not yet, Hamels, solid pitcher but not yet in the Carlton echelon. Kershaw, possibly in five years.
    Lee, great pitcher but not the horse Carlton was. The greatest lefties in the past 60 years, in my opinion — Warren Spahn, Steve Carlton, Sandy Koufax (Greatest six years), Randy Johnson,

6. Mazinman

January 11, 2012 at 12:20 am

Looking at Ruben’s past history I have to believe that if he thought they had no chance to resign Hamels he would have traded him already or be in the process of doing so therefore I won’t be panicking yet. If Cole is serious about liking Philly I am sure the two sides can work something out at some point.

It seems that Madson will be signging with the Reds according to MLBTradeRumors. Sad to see Mad Dog go although the side of me that wants to see our farm system grow is really excited about that.

7. bacardipr05

January 11, 2012 at 12:26 am

Just heard the same thing about Madson. It is sad to see him go, i wonder where it all went wrong. Bor-Ass?

8. Chris

January 11, 2012 at 12:32 am

Well Phils get to pick 13th in the draft with the Reds signing madson and they also get a first round sandwich pick. Not bad

9. Dave

January 11, 2012 at 8:03 am

Maybe the Phillies are waiting for the Blanton contract to end to free up some cash? Obviously we have Lee getting a huge increase this year as well as the contract for “He Who Must Not Be Named.”

10. TheDipsy

January 11, 2012 at 8:19 am

Wow. What a horrible job by Scott Boras……again. That’s a damn shame. I would think that Madson is electing to take a one year deal and to try again next year. Coulda done it with the Phils. Woulda been better for everyone.

Madosn gets screwed. The Phils get screwed. Scott Boras. Wake up, players.

The Dipsy

• EricL

January 11, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Phils got screwed? By whom?

Madson got screwed because the market for him–which is already limited due to his salary demands–collapsed after a number of teams decided they could fill their closer role with cheaper options (Toronto, Boston, Miami, etc.)

He’s probably losing a million or two this season, but provided he stays healthy he’ll likely command the type of deal he was looking for this season next year. Boras clients have done this in the past and it’s worked out OK for most of them.

11. Chuck A.

January 11, 2012 at 8:43 am

That’s ok. Boras will make up for everything with the Fielder sweepstakes. In fact, I believe Madson took a huge backseat in Boras’ mind BECAUSE of Fielder. Why players feel like he’s some God or something is beyond me.

• EricL

January 11, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Doubt it. The market dried up. You’re going to have a hard time selling a product for which there is little demand.

Boras is a smart guy, and an astute agent; he’s more than capable of handling multiple negotiations at once.

• LuckyNucky

January 11, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I think there is a glitch with Prince Fielder and his association to the ‘roid-MVP Braun. Was Braun the only one to get caught?

12. zwizz

January 11, 2012 at 11:49 am

I would love to see Hamels retire a Phil , and I think it is important that they do what ever they can to try to keep him around long term. Even if it has to be to get a one year deal out of the way first, until they can reach an agreement long-term. He is a great lefty pitcher and a huge part of the 08 series win. He is a bigger piece to the puzzle than he gets credit for most of the time.

13. Bob in Bucks

January 11, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Sounds to me like Hamels wants to test the market.

14. karabeynik

January 11, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Здравствуйте! Мне понравился Ваш форум и его разнообразная тематика.Хочу влиться в ваш сплоченный коллектив и стать полноправным его участником.

15. betasigmadeltashag

January 11, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I personally do not get the one year deal unless it is to stay below the cap, since it is a yearlly average and you can not back load contracts to avoid going over the cap. Also agree that if a long term deal can not be worked out right now, it makes since to do a one year deal so you do not have to go to arbitration and base each other over the head with what he wants and so forth. But I think if I have the cap thing right, they can sign him for one year, and during the season add an extension and the extension would not count against the yearly average for the cap, I may be wrong but I think that is how it would work. They have to sign Cole before he can accept offers from other teams, because someone out there will over pay for a solid lefty and give him Lee numbers, like 5-7 years. But in reality either way this is something for the end of next year before we all start worrying

• George

January 11, 2012 at 11:43 pm

The Red Sox did something like that with Adrian Gonzalez. They signed him to a one year contract to avoid the luxury tax, then gave him a huge extension after the season started. It is possible, though, that the new CBA has closed that loophole. That agreement has screwed the Phils more than any other team, and it wouldn’t surprise me a bit if they can’t do a “Boston” with Hamels.

In any case, I’m not worried. They have to sign Hamels to something before acrimonious arbitration numbers come out. A longer term contract takes some time to figure out, and it’s best to take that time to get everything right.

16. Don M

January 12, 2012 at 7:16 am

Karabeynik makes a good point…

January 12, 2012 at 7:29 am

I totally disagree with Karabeynik- I think.

18. Bob in Bucks

January 12, 2012 at 10:23 am

Using online Russian to English translator here is waht Karabeynik says –

Hello! I liked your forum and its varied subjects. I wish to join your rallied collective and to become its full participant.