Phillies Nation TV Ep. 8: Madson, Hamels, Beer – Phillies Nation
Analysis

Phillies Nation TV Ep. 8: Madson, Hamels, Beer

In our latest episode of Phillies Nation TV, Corey and I talk about the Ryan Madson deal and how both sides screwed up royally (i.e. Jonathan Papelbon deal involved). We get into the scary possibilities of Cole Hamels being a free agent after this season, and discuss names like Jered Weaver and Justin Verlander and how they play a role.

Our final segment is for beer lovers – which of course is every single one of you. Steve Mashington, operations manager for Yards Brewery, joined us to talk about a couple of different beers they produce, how it’s done, and what to eat with each. I’m a huge fan of new and exciting beers, so you can actually learn something. As you know we’re beer connoisseurs here at Phillies Nation, so we’re happy to bring this addition to PN TV to you.

Enjoy!

Click to comment

1. Jeff Dowder

January 12, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Great job by Cincinnati in letting the market come to them…a not so great job by RAJ in trying to forecast the market.

2. Don M

January 12, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I dont know how much Amaro was trying to “forecast the market” vs. how much he was trying to just make sure they landed the guy they think is the biggest upgrade at that position …

It worked out very well for Cinncy- who wanted a one-year deal for a Closer … and happened to still have Madson available

• Bird

May 13, 2012 at 2:12 pm

In one way, I can’t blame Jonathan Papelbon for coming acorss as centrally focussed on his earnings potential becoming reality. He seemed destined to be a pretty to very good starting pitcher, which has always been a higher paying job. 12 mil plus might seem outrageous for a closer, but it seems reasonable to think he would have developed into an upper teens or more guy had the Red Sox not elected to make him a closer. His style is for the most part entertaining (his gaze is great, his pace painful), but his long track record and seemingly strategized plan to max that when he was free agent eligible strikes as a great source of motivation for the last few years. I wonder what will motivate him now. He’ll probably come up with a successful answer, but I wonder. He should be pretty good for the Phils, but I was looking forward to Madson proving he was an elite closer over the long haul. Pardon me for liking Madson a lot. I basically find this a sad turn of events.

3. Jeff Dowder

January 12, 2012 at 2:08 pm

$50 million to a closer is a horrible waste of resources. It’s been proven time and time again that you don’t need to allocate $10 million to a closer in order to win. There are always closers available. I don’t buy the idea that Papelbon is so special that there was a need to lock him up so long either. Who was Amaro bidding against?

• Manny

January 12, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Himself, apparently.

4. bacardipr05

January 12, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I can picture RAJ at a car auction. $1500 going once going twice, $1800, sir no one else made another bid but you. I bid $2000 going once, going twice, sold to the gentleman that kept outbidding himself…LMAO!

• Lefty

January 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm

That’s funny. I’d add that it’s a PT Cruiser he’s bidding on. A top of line one, but still a PT Cruiser. The dealers can’t even give the used ones away.

• Pauline

May 16, 2012 at 4:26 am

I still wouldn’t be suserirpd if a team like the Nationals signed Madson for some big overpay, they seem to have a good relation with Boras and have a lot of money to piss away on non-essentials like a closer when they already have one in place. They could always just move Storen to set up and have a proven veteran Ace reliever’ like Madson brought in to close out games. Honestly i’m still scared that the Nats may try to sign Jimmy for a big overpay also, if for no other reason than to screw over the Phillies. Anyway I am hoping Madson accepts arbitration, since he could get a big trade package at the deadline for a desperate borderline playoff team that needs bullpen help to get them over the hump’

5. Don M

January 12, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Yards Brawler is the tits ……
    and actually Yuengling Light Lager tastes pretty similar

6. The Original Chuck P

January 13, 2012 at 9:37 am

The one thing that is very apparent about Rube is that he identifies the guy he wants and he acts… He doesn’t wait and he doesn’t allow himself to get caught in a bidding war. Another thing that I would mention is that the market for closers next year appears to be very thin so Rube spared himself the headache that he could have been faced with next year. The Phils offered Madson arbitration – a one year deal which he would have made MORE than what he got in Cinci. In that regard, Rube actually read the market well… He offered Madson the type of deal he was really worth as a somewhat unproven closer and got compensatory picks in the process. Look, after Rube offered him arbitration and he declined, there was really no turning back. There was noooo way he was coming back here for a one year deal. There are a lot of losers and one clear winner- the Reds. Madson got Boras’d, the Phils got a proven closer but overpaid, somewhat. The Reds got what they wanted but they do have to give back a compensatory pick, I think (forget if he was an a or b FA).

• Jeff Dowder

January 13, 2012 at 10:44 am

To me that’s RAJ’s glaring weakness – his track record of impatience. There was no need to sign Papelbon so early in the free agent process. He may have acquired the guy he wanted, but by just waiting a few weeks he could have had him for less – especially in terms of years.

The Reds don’t lose any picks, according to the new CBA. The Phillies get a sandwich pick after the first round and then a pick right before the Reds’ second pick (but the Reds maintain their pick).

• The Original Chuck P

January 13, 2012 at 11:08 am

Thanks for the clarification, Jeff.

I don’t think that a GM is going to be able to get it right every time… you’re either going to wait too long and lose out on a player (or get out-bid) or you’re going to buy too early and overpay. In my opinion, as a fan, I’d rather see him overpay and get the guy that he wanted. If Rube waited a few weeks, Papelbon might have been off the market. We will never know.

To be clear, I agree that, in hindsight and with all else being equal, I would have rather kept Madson and not paid the steep price tag for Papelbon. I have said that since day one (you can check the original Papelbon announcement post to validate). HOWEVER, that is such a naive approach to take when analyzing this situation. I don’t think we would have gotten Madson for the deal that he gave Cincinnati. For him to come to Philly for a one-year deal after declining arbitration would have been asking Boras to eat a super-sized helping of humble pie. If Madson wasn’t coming back and if someone stepped up and snagged Papelbon, what would we have been left with? We might not have needed Papelbon but we certainly needed a closer and the market was pretty thin… getting thinner next year. Thankfully, we don’t have to worry about that and I think Papelbon will be pretty good.

7. Jeff of Nova

January 13, 2012 at 10:37 am

Corey,

Great job with the Beer preview!! My wife and I are serious Homebrewers and love craft beer, good to see lots of variety out there. The food pairings are even sweeter!

I am also sad about this whole Madson thing, I mean I agree the true winner here is the Reds, but this whole situation smells just like the Billy Wagner ordeal, Health will be the biggest concern for Papelbon. Just loved when we kept the homegrown talent.

Madson got screwed by Boras in a major way.

Remember we have not won a WS since we started not keeping the homegrown talent and collected other peoples talent,
    Also Remember Halladay, Lee, Oswalt(gone), Ibanez(gone), Pence, Polanco, Contreas have not gottten a ring with the Phillies.
    Not saying I don’t want those guys, but building a farm system is how we won a WS. I hope they can finish the deal this year, but the East is way more competitive, last year was a major disappointment based on what the expectations were

8. Don M

January 13, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Jeff of Nova… That’s Pat doing the beer segment, Corey was in the first segment

• EricL

January 13, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Yeah, just remember, Corey is the one with the pencil beard and Pat is the one with the Mr. Rogers sweater. lol

9. Armando

May 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Somebody wrote on here about a month ago a prediction that Cole would be taderd to the Yanks by Xmas. Thanks, Scrooge. Well, its not exactly time to worry about that again, but .Rosenthal posted a story at 3:13 a.m. that the Phils are in on talks for Gio Gonzalez.I assume he was still awake at 3:13 a.m., and coherent.Never mind that Ruben doesn’t seem to prioritize extending Cole like the fans, fact is Cole seems pretty content to let time dwindle too. I mean you’d like to think it ends happily ever after, and that it probably will, but the fact of the matter is its been pretty apparent that an extension for Cole made sense quite some time ago.Conversely, if I’m Cole, I interpret the attention paid to Buehrle and CJ as a reminder that I need to open a new bank account before my exsisting ones bust from too much cash.Maybe there’s good reason to prefer Gio to Cole, I haven’t given it much thought yet. But I don’t look forward to losing another homegrown one of our own. Maybe I’m making way too much out of a fraction, or even nothing. But I hope Cole sticks, and celebrates Cliffmas as a Phil.