2012 Spring Training

Howard Swings in Cages; Feels “40 Percent Healthy”

(Photo: Ryan Lawrence, Delco Times)

Ryan Howard joked during his press conference in Clearwater today that he’d done a lot of searching. For the remote.

Knowing that his surgically-repaired achillies would keep him on the couch, his fiancee, Eagles cheerleader Krystle Campbell, made him watch “Housewives” shows, as he put it. Unable to put up a fight, Howard actually took a liking to the reality TV programs that I make fun of my own girlfriend for watching. But I digress.

Howard said his time off was a good way to refresh his mind and body. With that, he’ll have a lot of recovery to do as he diagnosed himself at about 40 percent healthy currently, according to Comcast SportsNet’s Michael Barkann.

While taking random trips to the grocery store, Howard says he encountered many people who had the same injury. He’d even compare scars with those in the produce section.

From the way he spoke on Wednesday afternoon, he’s prepared for a long battle back, but does say he’s getting there. During morning BP, Howard took live swings for the first time since the injury. That mammoth strength was still apparent, as many reports said he hit a few balls out of the park at Bright House Field.

One thing Howard would not do is put a time on a return to the Phillies lineup. His manager, Charlie Manuel, believes he’ll be back before May, which is just about two months from today. Howard did say he didn’t think he’d be playing in any Spring Training games, so the team will continue to take a cautiously-aggressive approach with the Big Piece.

And that’s fine. There’s no need to rush him back. Sure, the division is stronger and teams are gunning to unseat the incumbent champions of the NL East. That’s no reason to push Howard past his limits. The Phillies know that, Howard knows that. Howard understands his full power might not be back until around the All-Star break in July. If he’s 100% for the second half of the season, look out.

I’m also interested to see how the fans will react to Ryan Howard once he returns. Will they give him leeway, knowing this is a serious and sometimes career-altering injury? Or will they continue to ride him hard as he enters year one of a five-year contract extension worth $125 million?

Video below is from Ryan Lawrence of the Delco Times:

1. George

February 22, 2012 at 2:43 pm

There’s no reason to think fans (except maybe a few) will cut Howard any slack, because they’ve never done so in the past. He’s been trashed consistently (and not just by Andrew from Waldorf) for being a lot of things which the stats say he isn’t, such as non-clutch and barely productive. Also, people seem to think that a person making his kind of money should be Ruth, Aaron, ARod, Pujols, and Ted Williams rolled into one, and should even be able to part the Red Sea.

• Publius

February 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm

As a Howard Hater let me say this is patently wrong. In 2009 and 2010 the good feelings of the recent WS were strong and his monster past bought him a couple of years worth of leeway, which he spent slowly declining. Then, once the extension came in, all leeway was gone. He is being paid to be a top 5 MLB player, and now that he’s not even a top 5 1B, the knives come out. Throw in a degradation into essentially being a platoon player and you’ve got the perfect (and justified) target of criticism.

• schmenkman

February 22, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Also, I generally agree on your timeline, except it’s a year off. In 2009 he had a .931 OPS and generated 4.6 WAR, worth $20.7 million on the FA market. He also tied the record for consecutive postseason games with RBIs and was the NLCS MVP (“get me to the plate, boys!”).

• George

February 22, 2012 at 10:28 pm

This is not patently wrong; your whining and hating of Howard just proves my point that fans expect too much and won’t cut him any slack. People have been griping about Howard since at least 2010. No one had any good feelings when he made the final out against the Giants that year, and many fans have hated him ever since.

• Jeff Dowder

February 23, 2012 at 12:52 am

I think that’s the point. I don’t hate Howard, but I sure hated the contract from the moment it was announced. To guarantee that much money to a player who was already showing signs of decline was a huge miscalculation by RAJ. We can use the mantra of “cost certainty” all we want to try to feel better about it, but this was a flat out mistake.

“Cost certainty” is locking up a rising player to guaranteed years to hopefully capture some team friendly years in the latter part of the deal. I’d look at the Ryan Braun or Carlos Gonzalez extensions as prime examples of this. Cost certainty is not locking up a declining player to a deal way above market value. It’s bad business – pure and simple.

2. Jaron B

February 22, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I’d see how they approach his rehab. If he spends more than 12 games in the minors, I would be very hard on him the second half but would be fine with him getting a day off like Utley did when he returned to the majors last year. It also depends on where those rehab starts were or, better yet, which starts he used to get back to a routine (I’d say 8-10 starts would be necessary, most likely at Lakewood or Clearwater) and which starts he worked on his swing with (I’d say up to 15 starts, hopefully at Lehigh Valley). As you can tell, I’m basing these numbers off of Chase Utley’s rehab last year. Some of Howard’s first 8-10 starts would take place every other day and would be limited to two AB and 5-6 innings at first – just like Utley went through last year. I also would say that his performance against the curveball would be a large factor, particularly how he works counts. He does walk a lot but that’s more directly a result of how pitchers pitch to sluggers rather than how Howard works counts. Also, I’d give him no more than a month of leeway; then, I expect him to really start hitting 2B & HR & RBIs. Regardless, my evaluations will be harsher the second half of the season, but I wouldn’t hold him continuing to get regular rest after the All-Star Break against him. That’s pretty much where I stand. Anyone else?

• George

February 22, 2012 at 10:05 pm

A comparison with Utley’s rehab is completely unfair:
      1. Utley was rehabbing from a totally different type of injury. He didn’t require surgery; he had no totally ruptured tendons.
      2. Utley and Howard are not even close to being the same body type. Howard supports more weight with his two legs.

February 22, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I’ll give him some leeway at first. But after a few weeks, I’ll be expecting at least top-10-type performance from him. He’s supposed to be the anchor of our lineup and he needs to step it up after a couple of very sub-par years.

4. BART SHART

February 22, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I just hope Howard can rebound from this serious injury. He certainly has holes in his offense, but he is one of the greatest offensive threats in Phillies history behind only Mike Schmidt and perhaps Chuck Klein. We need him. He is a great guy and is needed now more than ever. I wish him a speedy and more importantly, a successful recovery.

5. Chuck A.

February 22, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I’ll give Publius credit for one thing with his comment – he doesn’t mince words and comes right out and admits that he’s a “Howard Hater”. A lot of times we throw that term…”hate” ….around on here, assuming that that’s what people do – they hate on someone (in this case Howard). Publius comes right out and calls himself that and for that he gets the tip of my cap.

As for the rest of his post, it’s typical of most fans that feel like they have to whine and complain about every single thing that the Phillies do. I guess that 5 straight divisions, 2 pennants and a World Championship just ain’t good enough for a lot of people.

6. Joey Spagna

February 22, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Hey Shemp Howard, stop eating the Doritos and clam dip and start working out you lazy buuuuum.

7. bacardipr05

February 22, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I dont see him getting 12 rehab starts. When he is ready theyll ship him to the minors for 7-8 games and if he is pain free he’ll be called up.

February 22, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Here is what I expect from Howard this season. Since I have spent most of the last year recovering from an achilles injury, – very little to almost nothing.

I realize that he and the team have ten times the resources to get the very best doctors and rehab specialists than I did. But this is still a nasty injury, and he’s a big man. Anything we get is a bonus in my eyes. I don’t think he will see consistent day after day starts until after the All- Star break, and shouldn’t even do that if he’s not completely ready. It’s the setbacks that kill your frame of mind. IMO it’s better to play it safe.

Wigginton, JMJ, Thome and whoever else can play first can keep the team afloat. “Patience” is always better than “patients”.

9. TheDipsy

February 22, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Hey, Ruben offered Howard the money and he took it. You would have done the same too had you been Ryan. Critics of the deal said that Ryan would not age well as a ballplayer and that his swing would slow and blah blah. That said, I would venture to say that if you looked at his stats, that you would see that the more he gets paid the worse he plays.

The reason I am pissed at Ryan Howard I think that all he needs to do to improve dramatically is to use his head at he plate – which he doesn’t do. Or maybe it just seems so easy to me.

The Dipsy

10. betasigmadeltashag

February 22, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I know most of people can not seperate the contract from the player, I just do not get why his performace and contract have to be the discussion. What Ryan does for this team is all that matters to me. Maybe if they can not extend Cole I may think differently, but as of now the money they are paying him have not prevented too many moves to make this team better. I have stated before that the fact that his achillies tore on his last at bat of the year is proof that he was playing on one leg for most of the season, and for playing in that pain and with injury he was pretty productive. Could he be more selective and become a better avg hitter I think so, and I think he still can. I cut him all the slack he needs just like Chase last year, any production form them is a bonus playing through and coming back form injuries. I am not much of what have you done for me latly so all these guys that brought us a WS get a long pass from me. You know who doesn’t, and I know I am going to get killed here is Cliff-Roy. Not that they have not meet their expectations, but if either of them had a real bad year I would be on them(not that they will and I still blame Charlie more the Cliff for giving up the lead in game 2) But they have not won here yet, so I would be harder on them then Cole, Chase, Ryan, JRoll, Vic and Chooch and even Big Joe

11. TheDipsy

February 22, 2012 at 10:28 pm

No. If a player is not giving you performance for dollars then he stinks. You pay a guy a zillion dollars for million dollar numbers than he his hurting the team because. iIn theory, and in practice, he is keeping his team from spending the money to acquire the numbers that he is shortchanging them. That is Ryan Howard.

The Dipsy

• George

February 22, 2012 at 10:37 pm

How much do you think should be spent for 30+ home runs and 110+ RBIs for six straight years? In today’s game, any of the rich teams in the ML would pay those “zillions” for those same numbers; in fact, the Angels, Detroit, and New York pretty much already are. Maybe Howard didn’t lead the league in 2011, but he was still ahead of Pujols, who is now making more than twice Howard’s “zillions.”

12. Brooks

February 22, 2012 at 10:30 pm

In Thome’s final year here, he was booed. A HOF, real gentleman, he was booed by this city and the fans because he struggled at the plate – he was hurt physically and this had to hurt the big guy emotionally. I remember having some great seats down by first base. Jim struck out as he did a lot that year and he got booed. The look on his face was amazement. Just the year prior he hit 42 hrs and the year before that, his first in Philadelphia he led the league with 47.

I am sure that Howard will get booed by the same loyal “fans”.
    Sorry, I just don’t get it. He did not steal any money, it was offered to him – he was the #1 offensive threat (along with King Albert) for 4 years in a row in the majors, either leading the league in hrs or rbis or both. He (tell me I’m wrong) was the main reason for the Phils being in the post season from 07 on.

And he will be booed.

• George

February 22, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Brooks, you probably will have others telling you you are wrong, and that everyone from Adam Eaton to Eric Bruntlett have had more to do with the Phils making five straight post seasons than Howard did.

People that could boo an injured Jim Thome are capable of anything. They will definitely boo Howard even if he plays so hard he has to have his leg amputated.

• schmenkman

February 22, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Since you asked, the Phillies’ best position player (by far) each year in 2007-2009 was Utley. In 2010 it was Werth and Utley. Last year it was Victorino, followed far behind by Utley and Rollins.

Otherwise, I agree — I don’t get it either. He was offered the money, and of course he took it as any of us would. We can’t fault him for that.

We can argue about his approach, but one cannot say that he hasn’t worked hard to improve himself.

• Lefty

February 22, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Really well stated comment Brooksy,
      But guys like you, Bart, and I – we know this goes way further back than that. At the Vet they booed Mike Schmidt, and he had to come out wearing a wig! I’ll never forget that. Anyway if they can boo Schmidt, they can boo anyone.

13. brooks

February 23, 2012 at 5:05 am

Right you are Lefty! Although I dont foresee Howard doing anything so goofy as donning a wig or figuring out other shenanigans that might crack the crowd up, I can only hope for some deep flies to left and left center field will shut most of them up. I would be grateful if he were to play 100 games due to the seriousness of the injury. Let me ask you this – if Howard played 100 games, hit 30 hrs and drove in between 90-100 runs, took a team that was ‘waffling’ in the midst of the division race and catapulted them to their 6th division crown and the deep into the playoffs – would that shut the detractors?

Plain and simple – until next year.
    So, here’s cheering Ryan Howard onto a tremendous second half of the season. As much as I love the lineup of Jimmy, Vic, Utley, Pence, Junior, Wiggs and Ruiz – without Howard’s presence in the middle of that lineup, they will not go far.

14. Ted Bell

February 23, 2012 at 7:46 am

Schmidt’s wig wearing was a pre-emptive move to try to diffuse a potential ugly situation with the fans. He had trashed the Philly fans in a Montreal newspaper during a road trip and resorted to the wig on the team’s return to Philly. It actually helped Mike in the long run by changing the prevalent way he was viewed by the fanbase – cold, aloof, emotionless, etc.

I’m Ted Bell.

• Lefty

February 23, 2012 at 1:09 pm

It’s a blast form the past! Where the heck have you been?

Yes it did help Schmidt, and yes it was the result of newspaper comments. Personally, I could care less whether or not they are nice guys. The guy in my avatar certainly could be a jerk too, but I don’t care. IMO- Just perform on the field, that’s all that matters. Personalities are Charlie and Ruben’s problem.

Nice to see you commenting again, Ted.

15. Chuck A.

February 23, 2012 at 7:53 am

Lefty, I agree with your earlier comment. We really can’t expect too much of him this season and whatever we DO get is a bonus, in my opinion.. This is a NASTY injury.

Manny’s earlier comment – “I’ll give him some leeway at first. But after a few weeks, I’ll be expecting at least top-10-type performance from him. He’s supposed to be the anchor of our lineup and he needs to step it up after a couple of very sub-par years”…..

……is typical of the pressure …unrealistic and unwarranted in this case…that we heap on this man. In a normal year, then yeah…he needs a top 10 performance. This season….no.
    Seriously, anyone that boos Ryan Howard this year….especially early on….is a complete jackass.

16. TheDipsy

February 23, 2012 at 7:54 am

There is no deep imbedded dislike of Ryan Howard. By contrast, no matter how good a year Schmidt would have, this city could never wrap its arms around him – mainly because of his aloof and chaffing personality. This town wants to love Howard – but he is making it very hard for a lot of people. For a guy making the money he makes he should have plate discipline – which he doesn’t. Add that to the fact that we have actually seen him have great years (so we know he can do it) so many fans just assume that he has reverted from a great offensive player to a guy that just cares about hitting homers and will swing at any pitch to do it. And, poo poo it if you want – swinging at that pitch in the Series was very bad.

Distilled down to something easy – you cannot make a lot of money in this city and not perform commeasurate (sp?) with it. You will watch the city turn on Vick next season – same thing.

That said, Ryan is not stupid. I think he can, and will, adjust at the plate. And in a meaningful way. I am angry that he is not performing but I am hopeful that he will play better. I have, for one, have not given up on him.

The Dipsy

17. Chuck A.

February 23, 2012 at 8:09 am

Dipsy, Publius said earlier that he is a “Howard Hater”. That’s pretty close to a deep imbedded dislike of the man. And anyone trying to compare Schmidt to Howard just doesn’t have a clue. Mike Schmidt was…and still is…a cold individual (at least that’s the perception). Ryan Howard is very likeable and goes out of his way, I think, to be so.

Also, he DEFINITELY shouldn’t have swung at that pitch. But I fault Charlie more for that. In that particular situation.

18. TheDipsy

February 23, 2012 at 8:16 am

Chuck – thats my point. Schmidt was a a-hole. Howard is a cool guy. Thats my comparison. No one “hates” Howard (except Publius), we just intensely dislike his performance lately. When Howard starts to play great again, he will get the keys to the city. As opposed to Schmidt – who could do anything and remain, for the most part, disliked.

The Dipsy

• schmenkman

February 23, 2012 at 8:36 am

“we just intensely dislike his performance lately.”

— is this really what you mean? if so you must mean just in the past couple postseasons, including 2010 when he was the Phillies’ best hitter?

Intensely liking his performance FOR THE MONEY, I can see, but as I said, I disagree with.

19. Chuck A.

February 23, 2012 at 8:23 am

Switching gears for just a minute….but this is encouraging (even if it is from Heyman!) –

• Lefty

February 23, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Good find Chuck, thanks.

20. TheDipsy

February 23, 2012 at 11:18 am

Excuse me – yes, “for the money”.

The Dipsy

21. Mazinman

February 23, 2012 at 11:20 am

I read that article Chuck. Everything about resigning Hamels lately has been real positive. I think it puts more pressure on Ruben to get things done.

As for Howard, I liked that he said in the interview that he was going to try to learn as much as he could from Jim Thome. He would be a good influence on Ryan. I honestly do like Ryan Howard even though he is still overpaid (although not by as much after this crazy off season) and I hope he returns healthy and has a good season.

BTW, has anyone been following the Oswalt talk? I’m starting to think he might be coming back to the Phils today.

• Jeff Dowder

February 23, 2012 at 11:24 am

The Cardinals seem to think he’s coming to St. Louis.

• EricL

February 23, 2012 at 11:24 am

The Phillies have nowhere to put Oswalt.

I think he might retire. At least for the next couple of months, until someone needs a SP and he decides that he can pull a Roger Clemens/Pedro-type deal and get paid decently for half a season’s worth of mercenary work.

22. EricL

February 23, 2012 at 11:21 am

To quote part of a schmenk reply earlier in this thread: “The contract is horrible and it now looks like he will not come close to delivering enough value to make it palatable. However I just don’t see how anyone can put any of the blame for the contract on Howard instead of Amaro. Howard got the best contract he could, as anyone would, and is now (IMO) doing the best he can to deliver.”

Logically I agree with this, but it has to be expected that when you get paid a monstrous amount of money you will be held accountable when your perceived performance isn’t commensurate with that paycheck. Again, this is not to say it’s Howard’s fault he was offered such a deal, just that the acrimonious treatment he gets from some of the fanbase should be expected, to some degree.

Now, to pose a hypothetical, Raul Ibanez was offered a contract for the purposes of salary arbitration with the Phillies. As it turns out, that was a handshake deal in which he agreed to turn down the offer so that the Phillies would pick up an extra draft pick as compensation. Let’s say, however, that Raul decided he wasn’t going to turn down that offer because it was more than he would make over the rest of his career. (The arbitration rules that I’ve read say that in order to be arbitration eligible the offer cannot be less than 80% of what he made in the previous year. If this is the case the minimum offer would have been around $9.75 million dollars.) So, now Raul accepts the Phillies offer of $9.75 million and totally fouls up the works as far as signing guys this off-season and puts the Phils over the luxury tax threshold.
    t
    My question is, would it be inappropriate to be angry with Raul for screwing up the payroll obligations for this year, even though he was just taking the best offer, even though it was only being made as a pretext to pick up an extra draft pick? By the logic of the Howard situation, I don’t think it would be. But, of course, he would be loathed for doing such a thing.

• Jeff Dowder

February 23, 2012 at 11:34 am

Placido Polanco was booed on opening day in 2005, because the people’s choice and heir apparent (Chase Utley) was on the bench. That’s the way it works. Fans booing Howard are just voicing their displeasure with the inane contract and RAJ. That’s the way it works. Ryan’s been in the game long enough to know that…I doubt that it bothers him at all. I don’t know why it’s an issue.

• schmenkman

February 23, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Agreed — it would be perfectly appropriate to be angry at Raul, since he would be intentionally reneging on the handshake agreement.

Howard is doing nothing of the sort (altough I get your other point that he should expect to get some grief).

• Lefty

February 23, 2012 at 1:20 pm

“My question is, would it be inappropriate to be angry with Raul for screwing up the payroll obligations for this year, even though he was just taking the best offer,”

If the question had ended there- I would agree with you and say no.

“even though it was only being made as a pretext to pick up an extra draft pick?”

The last line changes everything- Yes totally inappropriate and deceitful.
      There’s really no public evidence to support that Ryan Howard did anything deceitful.

He has been stubborn in the past about how he approaches his plate appearances, but he says that is over and I’m willing to take his word on that for now
      His quote from the Bodley column-

“Drawing more walks will definitely play a factor [in raising batting average], Howard said. You look at guys who hit .300 and look at how many walks they have. It’s definitely about being more selective and getting your pitch to hit — and hitting it.”

• EricL

February 23, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I understand there is a little deceit there, but at the same time a legitimate offer was extended.

Is that really any different than what they supposedly said to Brad Lidge before he went and looked around for a closing job, and when he returned to take them up on their initial offer it was no longer available? Or the way they handled the Ryan Madson situation, if his side of the story is to be believed?

It’s a business decision, not a moral oath of some sort. I’m just saying that I could see the situation being analogous to some extent.

• schmenkman

February 23, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Eric, a handshake agreement to not steal $8M+ from the team (the difference between the nominal offer and one year’s market value) is not a “moral oath of some sort”?

I don’t get it.

• Lefty

February 23, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I can’t lend an opinion on the Lidge or Madson situations. I just don’t have enough legit information. I wouldn’t have enough on the Ibanez situation either, except that we now know the final result. He didn’t accept the arbitration offer, and we got a supplemental pick.

Maybe I’m just a little lame-brained on this one, I admit I fall short on the business side of the game sometimes. I’m just not sure how you’re drawing a parallel with the Ibanez and Howard situation my friend.
        But more to the point-

I agree that Howard is not to blame for the contract. It is his responsibility to fulfill his end of the agreement to the best of his ability, and it seems that every time he fails it’s magnified, and people will point to the contract. I don’t think you can stop that storm surge, that levee’s been compromised forever. It looks -right now- like an ill advised shortsighted move by the F.O., most of us agree it’s on them. We’ll see.

• EricL

February 26, 2012 at 10:57 am

Well, the Madson story–at least from the Madson camp–is that they had verbally agreed to the 4/$44mm deal, but that prior to signing the deal Amaro went out and signed Papelbon. (Of course Amaro has denied this, but, you know, he also denied that anything was wrong with Howard’s leg yesterday until reporters starting saying that they saw a large bandage on the back of his heel. lol)

I would consider a verbal deal on par with a handshake deal, so if that were what happened, wouldn’t that be on par with a guy like Ibanez taking an offered deal even if it was verbally/handshake agreed that he wouldn’t beforehand?

My point is, basically, is that I think we can be mad at players for contracts even if they aren’t responsible for the offer the team made. Hell, following sport teams is inherently irrational since we’re really a bunch of grown-ass men cheering for a handful of guys wearing the same laundry. It’s an odd psychological connection we form with a bunch of people who we don’t know, based solely on the fact that they work for an employer that we declare allegiance to.

23. Andrew from Waldorf

February 23, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Howard has sucked for so long.

He scored 48 runs last year if you take away his homers.
    48 runs hitting 4th for a supposed world series contender.

Thats about a run every 4th game.

Hitting 4th for a supposed title contender.

Now he is crippled up and never looking for a walk.
    Never has never will.

When you lost to the Giants look no furthur than him and Manuel
    When you lost to the Cardinals look no furthur.

There is a serious conversation?
    At 40% he sucks ???
    At 100% he sucks.

That hes making 25,000,000.00$ per year just makes it funny.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You guys will milk ths unjury as will he.
    He sucked long before. And was the core of the issues long before.

But you will rewrite it and he got hurt.
    Not his fault.
    awwwwwwwwww
    Hall of famer

24. Fritz

February 26, 2012 at 6:39 am

Why isn’t Utley playing first base? Polanco at second , put the big piece up for sale with Blanton and get the best infielder available. Ty can fill in at third till we get a new infield structure. Pence cleanup Utley third or fifth.

• EricL

February 26, 2012 at 10:45 am

Fritz, nobody is going to take Howard’s $25mm (for the next 5 years) + Blanton’s $8.5mm.

Utley, at this point in his career, isn’t a power hitter, so placing him 4/5th is a bit of a mistake.

25. Joey spagna

March 4, 2012 at 11:52 am

I want to eat H. Mirren’s ass.