2012 Spring Training

Phillies Win Exhibition Opener Over FSU, 6-1

If you had Hector Luna hitting the first home run of the spring for the Phillies, then you’ve won something. The well-traveled infielder slapped a 2-run jack in the Phillies 6-1 win over Florida State University.

During the game, Domonic Brown went 0-for-1, but was hit by a pitch on the same hand he broke during Spring Training last year. Brown says it’s fine. He stayed in the game a while longer and even stole a bases, so everything sounds good there.

Catcher Erik Kratz knocked in a run, as did prospect Tyson Gillies. The speedy outfielder went 1-for-2 with two runs scored. He also stole a base.

Austin Hyatt got the start and fanned three in two innings, looking sharp. Lefty Jake Diekman also looked good, striking out two and walking one.

Guys like Jimmy Rollins, Shane Victorino, and Hunter Pence got in and out with a couple of plate appearances. Jim Thome walked and struck out in two PA’s.

Outfielder Scott Podsednik, who is vying for that 25th man spot, singled home a run.

Next up, the Grapefruit League opener on Saturday against the Yankees.

Click to comment

1. Jay Floyd

February 29, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Pitchers that I have talked to really like throwing to Kratz. On the offensive side, he has some pop. I really like him as the Phils’ #3/understudy catcher option right now.

• The Original Chuck P

March 2, 2012 at 10:01 am

I used to work with Erik Kratz’ grandfather (he remains a client)… he’s a friend and I actually may have saved his life. One summer day, he was outside working on the flower beds at our office and he came inside kind of short of breath and visibly exhausted. Said he didn’t feel well… I immediately took him to the hospital. On the way he’s telling me that he had heart issues… needless to say, I started driving a little faster. Turns out, he was likely having a heart attack – they put in a stent that day.

• The Original Chuck P

March 2, 2012 at 10:05 am

PS – I’m a big Kratz fan. He’s a great defensive catcher – he’s tough (watch the highlight of him standing up to Prince Fielder at home plate), he calls a good game and he’s full of grit and determination. He’s not a great offensive catcher but he can get on a hot streak. I wouldn’t say he’s too far behind Ruiz offensively. He’s a good second/third option at catcher, for sure and you need three catchers (especially with Schneider who is one play away from being out for 2 months).

2. bacardipr05

February 29, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Watch that hand Dom Brown can the kid get a break. We know Kratz can hit minor league pitching but i have a feeling he will be another Sardine Man at the Majors.

3. frank riccard

February 29, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I’d love to be the kid that struck out Jim Thome.

Imagine how incredible that must be for a college kid. If all else fails, you can still be a guy who once struck out a future Hall of Famer.

• Michael Wagner

February 29, 2012 at 8:18 pm

If I was the kid who struck out Thome, I would have kept the baseball.

4. Pingback: Phillies Win Exhibition Opener Over FSU, 6-1 | Phillies Nation | Job Offers