2012 Spring Training

Lee Solid vs. Pirates; Galvis Day-to-Day

Freddy Galvis.

Cliff Lee looks to be ready to rock. He struck out three, giving up three hits over six innings in the Phillies 5-4 win over the Pirates in Clearwater. Lee did not allow a run, but Antonio Bastardo did. He was responsible for three runs just a few days after returning from elbow tightness that was attributed to dehydration.

You can stash this in the “It’s Only Spring Training” file, but you’d like to see Bastardo back to the Tony of old, and recently he has not been. There is some cause of concern because the Phillies CANNOT lose him. He, currently, is their only lefty in the pen. And he’s a damn good one that they’ll be relying on – probably too much. So keep an eye on Bastardo.

Freddy Galvis is OK after fouling a ball off his foot; he’ll be day-to-day, but no x-ray is necessary, according to some tweets from the beats in Clearwater. This is a bullet dodged, for sure. They can’t have their starting second baseman breaking his foot a week before the season starts. Crisis averted.

Jim Thome played first base again today and went 1-for-2 with an RBI double and a walk.

Scott Podsednik continues to make his case for the opening day roster as he hit a walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth to win it.

Click to comment

1. betasigmadeltashag

March 27, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I think Bastardo will be ok did not see his entire outing today, but coming off the stiffness in his shoulder he seemed to be working on a fastball only regiment, his slider in the strike zone is key. If used properly I think he will be above average for this team. Will he have numbers like the first half last year maybe not but I would not be surprised if he was close.
    Also how come when they do not hit everybody is worried about the offense then they have 12 hits and there is not jumping for joy.
    I personelly take all of spring training with less than a grain of salt

• Pat Gallen

March 27, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Normally agree, but not when a guy is coming off something injury related with his elbow. I”m slightly worried about it because I heard his velocity was not where it should be.

• delearyous

March 27, 2012 at 6:16 pm

no pitcher’s velocity is where it should be a week before the season starts, especially one who hasn’t thrown. i’m not worried.. for now. i think whether this is a story or not should be decided a few weeks from now, not today

2. bacardipr05

March 27, 2012 at 8:37 pm

They just need to cancel ST before anyone else gets hurt….lol

March 27, 2012 at 8:40 pm

AHHH So far I’m winning the PN/TIQIQ contest!!!!! I need Pods to slow down a bit to seal it… and Montanez/Pierre not to heat up too much!

GO PODS!

4. Jeff Dowder

March 27, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Congratulations to Pat on his new gig at The Phanatic 97.5!

• schmenkman

March 27, 2012 at 10:44 pm

(with an “F”)

Yes – congrats Pat!

5. bacardipr05

March 28, 2012 at 12:18 am

I was pulling for Pierre…seems to be a lot of love for Pods i see from the other blogs..Word on the street even if Pods hits 10 more HR’s he wont make the team anyways..

• Jeff Dowder

March 28, 2012 at 4:48 am

Podsednik can go back to the minors and can’t opt out until June 1. Pierre can opt out this Saturday if he’s not on the major league roster. That’s why many think Pierre goes north with the team. It’s essentially a two month audition in the majors with Podsednik waiting in the wings. That’s the prevailing theory…

• Lefty

March 28, 2012 at 6:27 am

I understand the theory, but honestly I wish they’d just go with the guy that performs better.

6. Dave P

March 28, 2012 at 12:39 am

What’s the news on Diekman? He’s a left handed pitcher. He was just optioned to the minors, but struck out 9 in 5 innings, no ER and 1 BB. Pretty solid over a small sample size. Any chance we’ll see him in the bigs this year?

• Lefty

March 28, 2012 at 6:24 am

Yes Rich Dubee the pitching coach said so yesterday. I think I read that on the CSN Philly site.

7. Bruce

March 28, 2012 at 2:18 am

If pitching coach Dubee is concerned about Bastardo’s velocity as reported, then I’m concern too. Dubee hopes it is the normal experience of a “dead arm” that most pitchers goes through toward the end of spring training. My hope is that if Bastardo has a “dead arm” issue, it ends on April 5th or the bullpen will be an issue this season.

As a matter of fact, aside from Papelbon and Kendrick, the rest of last season’s relievers have been far from impressive this spring.

8. Jaron B

March 28, 2012 at 5:30 am

Spring training seems to be a disaster for many but I’m glad Galvis, the Aces, and Jim Thome are excelling. I think we need to back off on everyone who’s slated to make the opening day line-up/ roster. I’m 90% ready for the regular season – too many injuries already but we do need more competition time for the last three or four roster spots: 5th OF, April Utility Man, and the last reliever spot or two. I’m glad Galvis is ok… freak accidents do happen: they can become less likely if Manuel rests his everyday players once a week in-season and not all at once in late September. For the next few games, send more guys down today and take starters out after their 2nd AB.

March 28, 2012 at 9:50 am

Thing with Pierre is that he might not be the best at stealing bases anymore. He’s been caught stealing often this spring. Pods is a perfect 5 for 5 (leading the team in SB)… plus has more power. If the front office thinks that Pierre is done or close to it, they might as well just keep Pods and his hot bat on Opening Day.