POLL: Which Phillies Hitter Scares You Most?

Would you want to face Chase? (AP)

Let’s say you’re an opposing pitcher having to face the Phillies lineup on a given day. Assuming everyone is healthy, they have a bunch of guys who can hurt you in different ways. Ryan Howard with the power, Chase Utley with (usually) crisp at-bats, and Hunter Pence with grit and determination. Shane Victorino‘s a little gnat. When Jimmy Rollins gets hot, look out.

On 97.3 ESPN FM, Phillies prospect Michael Schwimer joined “The Sports Bash with Mike Gill” and was asked that very question: which Phillie would you least like to face if you were an opposing hitter? It’s not an easy question to answer.

Let your opinion be heard in the poll below:

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Click to comment

1. Brendan

March 1, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Depends on what the situation is. If I’m up by a couple with the bases empty, Rollins because he is the rally starter. If the tying run is at the plate, Howard, because we all know he can tie it uip in one swing. With 2 outs and the tying run on base, Utley all day. Runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs Polanco easily. Bases loaded, Pence easily. All depends on what the situation is.

2. betasigmadeltashag

March 1, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I agree that the situation does matter, but bases loaded, I would have to go with Howard becaue it takes the walk out of the deal. But I chose Chase, because in a lot of the situations I can see where you would not want to see a healthy Utley coming up to the plate.
    I really think the key word in this scenario is HEALTHY, if they are truly healthy, and the winning or go ahead run is at second I am not sure I want to see any of them.

3. bacardipr05

March 1, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Ruiz had a knack of bringing in the winning run in 2010. It seem in that year when all the cards where down, Ruiz was the Ace in the deck. If Polanco is healthy i mean truly healthy he is the person that can best slap that single to get the man home from 3rd. He is the person i would want bottom of 9th 2 outs game tied scenario. If we are down 2 runs Howard is the man that can probably blast the Home Run. Chase is the sort of guy that you cant go wrong with in any situation. Rollins has the ability to get rally’s started when he isnt popping out. Pence and Shane are the pesky type of guys that can possibly throw off a pitchers rhythm.

4. Don M

March 1, 2012 at 4:32 pm

lets all assume the dreaded- Bases Loaded….. two outs…. and whatever hand you pitch with, I’m a righty ….. so I picked Chase Utley (assuming when healthy), because I think he’s the most dangerous all-around hitter on the team

but I agree that you would want different hitters in certain situations … Polly, etc

5. Don M

March 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Im just glad to see the “other” vote, for Mini Mart, I assume

6. bacardipr05

March 1, 2012 at 6:19 pm

The other votes was for Charlie Manuel Don…HA!

7. brooks

March 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm

without hesitation, when healthy it’s Chase first, Howard second

March 1, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I find it odd that Hunter Pence has such a sizable lead in the poll, yet no one that has commented so far has made a case for him. So I will.

I don’t care what the situation is, this guy is our most dangerous hitter. I know he looks god awful, and gangly, and all over the place. But despite that, he’s surprisingly patient, and really good at fouling balls off. I wish he didn’t swing at the high cheese so much, but oftentimes he puts those in play too.

.293/.343/.485 career, and last season with the Phillies .324/.394/.560 in 236 PA’s, so it’s not a huge sample size, but not tiny either. And he did that with a sports hernia that should be good to go by now. I could have picked several off the list, so no one’s opinion is wrong here. But if I’m an opposing pitcher, and have to name one batter, he’s the guy I don’t want to face.

• Brooks

March 1, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Taking in consideration “everyone is healthy” – you would then rely upon stats we can only remember. What do we have to measure Pence by so far? Right, less than half a season with the Phils. Yet in times past, great times at that would you take Pence over a healthy and productive Utley? Rollins in 07? Howard just a few short years ago?

Perhaps if Pence was part of that golden past things might be different and hey, ask the same question next year and I could say without hesitation, HP is the guy but Harry said it best. “Chase Utley, you are the man!”

9. EricL

March 2, 2012 at 12:30 am

This question entirely depends on whether you’re a hypothetical RH pitcher or a hypothetical LH pitcher.

If I’m a lefty I probably don’t want to face Victorino. (Then Pence, then Utley then Mayberry)

If I’m a righty I don’t want to race Howard and nobody else is really close. A distant second would be Utley, then maybe Thome then Pence.

• Lefty

March 2, 2012 at 6:38 am

I don’t care if I was right handed or the true southpaw that I am. I’d RACE Ryan Howard right now, and for the only time in his career, he’d be a distant second. But when his achilles / infection / suture sticking through / setback / it’s not a setback, is better- I’d be a distant second.

March 2, 2012 at 1:12 am

All around it’s Chase. Pence, just throw him a high fastball when he’s down In the count. Howard, inside high in… done.

March 2, 2012 at 1:16 am

Oh btw, Shane is looking for a 5-yr deal. Um, not happening.

12. TheDipsy