2012 Spring Training

Red Sox Shut Down Phillies, 6-0

Although it’s Spring Training, this lack of offense is getting scary. I don’t know if there is something in the water down in Clearwater, but the Phillies just are not hitting the ball very well lately.

They put up another donut against the Boston Red Sox on Monday afternoon, being shut down by Jon Lester, 6-0. The Phillies managed just three hits on the day; one from Freddy Galvis, Lou Montanez, and Pete Orr, respectively.

Joe Blanton wasn’t very sharp either, and he said so himself, telling Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer he was “good at times. Horses*&t at times.” Sums up his line well: five innings, seven hits, five runs, five strikeouts. It appears the Phillies will skip Blanton’s first start of the season as they’ve already lined up Halladay, Lee, Worley, and Hamels.

Back to the offense; I’m a little scared. NO ONE is hitting and the power is scarce. No regular has more than two homers during Spring Training.

Click to comment

1. bacardipr05

March 26, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I know this may make me sound like a alarmist. With the Phils 2 biggest power threats in Howard and Utley out this is expected. The only starters that have any power is Pence and Mayberry. This is team thats going to have trouble scoring im afraid folks. Especially when their only real power threat is disabled and the 2nd in line Utley well who knows.

• Jaron B

March 26, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Line-up:
      1) SS Rollins – needs rest every week or two and to work counts better: good base stealer
      2) CF Victorino – consistent threat to get on-base, great base-stealer; can hit in the 5-hole
      3) 2B-3B Polanco – needs rest at least every week; when healthy, he’s a .300 hitter
      4) 1B-LF Mayberry – needs to continue last year’s 2nd half all this year; he can do it!
      5) RF Pence – a full season of Pence should be helpful -> it helped Howard last year
      6) 2B-SS Galvis – w/ major strides last year + a stellar spring; he can handle up to 6 weeks.
      7) C Chooch – huge threat behind the plate and hits well. had .400 BA in late 2010
      8) DH-1B Thome – might get opening day start. 600+ CAREER HRs! Once every 5-10 days.
      9) Pitcher spot – some (Lee + Halladay) have good offense. On the mound, 1st-half ERA key.
      BENCH – the key role will be rest for the weary infield
      1) 1B-DH Thome – future HoF – need I say anymore?
      2) OF Pierre – active leader in career steals plus an impressive career ~5% K rate.
      3) 1B/ 3B Wiggington – field versatility. Not so sure about offense. Good option to have.
      4) C Scooch – Not much offense but his rapport with Worley is good enough to re-sign him.
      5) Utility options are weak now but starters have good versatility; a shame Valdez is gone.

Good weapons off the bench and starters can be just as effective if given regular rest. If they work counts and Charlie manages playing time, this should be a great year. We did put all our slugging eggs in one basket: Howard. Too bad but the rotation should limit the damage.

• Jaron B

March 26, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Forgot Nix… good option to hit opposite-handed pitching as mentioned in a LF & 1B platoon.

• EricL

March 27, 2012 at 1:02 am

I hope you’re not allowed to make even a little-league lineup.

Polanco 3rd? Galvis 6th, ahead of Chooch? Thome 8th?! hahaha

• kittykat

March 27, 2012 at 8:32 am

Cole Hamels bats a heck of a lot better than Halladay. I believe he won the batting contest between the starters last year.

• schmenkman

March 27, 2012 at 9:26 am

2011 OPS by Phils starters (PAs in parens):

Lee .514 (82), Worley .484 (48), Kendrick .478 (31), Hamels .383 (75), Halladay .293 (92), Oswalt .246 (49)

The league average for pitchers was .360.

However Halladay gets credit for his 16 sacrifices — which led all NL pitchers. In fact the only players to have more in the majors were Pierre (19), A. Escobar (18), and Infante (17).

Other Phillies starters: Oswalt 7, Kendrick 5, Lee 5, Hamels 3, Worley 2

2. Chris

March 26, 2012 at 7:55 pm

with the way Kendrick has done in spring perhaps he should get the spot over Blanton. It’s popular to hate on Kendrick but he may have legitimately improved. If only we were able to shed Blanton.

• schmenkman

March 27, 2012 at 8:46 am

It’s possible, he may have improved. I just think it’s a mistake to put a lot of weight on ST results: facing lots of AAA hitters, while working on mechanics, and most importantly, in fairly small samples. Same goes for position players (facing AAA pitchers, fiddling with swings, small samples).

March 26, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I do hope they skip Blanton with all those off days early on. Plus I’d get to see Doc on Opening Night at CBP 🙂

• EricL

March 27, 2012 at 12:59 am

They’ve already announced that Coal Hammels is pitching the home opener.

They open the season at Pitt for 3, then come home and the rotation has been set:

Pittsburgh: Doc, Lee, Worley
      Philly: Hamels, Doc, Lee

4. The Original Chuck P

March 26, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Phillies get blanked… Brown goes 2-3 and wastes another home run for our minor league affiliate… guess we should get used to it.

I’m sorry but we are going to need a spark and Ty Wigginton ain’t gonna supply it.

5. Pingback: LINK: Red Sox Shut Down Phillies, 6-0 | Philadelphia Phillies Dugout Online | Philadelphia Phillies Blog

6. chuck s

March 26, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Offense, third maybe 4th place finish for Phils. Pitching can’t knock the runs in also..that is if anyone can get on base.

March 27, 2012 at 7:38 am

Hey Pat, I’m not too worried about the offense yet. Last S.T. they were hitting pretty good, then came north, and besides Polanco didn’t hit well at all in April. That’s when I’ll worry, not now.

As far as power scarcity, get used to it. Wigginton slugged .416 in the mile high city where the ball is supposed to fly. And Thome won’t get the AB’s needed to make a dent.

Those two, MM and Galvis were RA Jr.’s back up plan.

• Lefty

March 27, 2012 at 7:41 am

Should have typed “back up infield plan”

• Chuck A.

March 27, 2012 at 8:00 am

I knew what you meant. And I’m not all that worried either. April 5th is when it all starts for real and that’s when I’ll really start to pay attention.

• schmenkman

March 27, 2012 at 9:12 am

Just fyi (I agree, ST stats are not very meaningful), but among the 15 teams in Florida, they rank…

6th in OBP, 6th in slugging, 7th in OPS
        9th in runs per game;
        –other NL East teams in R/G: WSH-9(tie), ATL-12, NYM-13, MIA-15

8. betasigmadeltashag

March 27, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Two things can we please stop with the Dom Brown watch, IMO the Phillies feel that pulling him back and forth from AAA to the majors and back was not working for him mentaly. So in the off season told him he would be playing left field in AAA all year work on his
    D and show he can play hard every day. If they bring him north in April and in June Ryan comes back they would have to send him back down. So plan on him being down there all year until the roster expansion at the end of the season. Get used to it.
    Second please stop acting like ST games mean anything it does not mean anytining especially a team like the phillies these guys are working on things that do not translate into stats. It is spring training for a reason so please can we wait until the games mean something before we are bury this team in third or fourth place

9. brooks

March 27, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Yeeaaa – I think there is plenty to be concerned about. When Ryan comes back, we need his shoulders to carry this load.

10. new era

April 9, 2012 at 5:34 am

snapback hats wholesale Thanks for sharing such an interesting information. I think this is really a very nice post. Thanks for the great content!

11. Phone Therapist

April 12, 2012 at 12:19 am

I just couldn’t go away your website before suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the usual info an individual provide on your guests? Is gonna be again continuously to check out new posts

12. top stock picks

April 17, 2012 at 1:08 am

My brother suggested I would possibly like this blog. He used to be entirely right. This publish actually made my day. You cann’t consider simply how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

13. Discounted Conference Calling

April 23, 2012 at 2:25 am

hey there and thank you for your information ? I’ve certainly picked up anything new from right here. I did alternatively experience some technical issues the usage of this website, as I skilled to reload the web site lots of occasions prior to I may just get it to load correctly. I were wondering in case your web hosting is OK? Now not that I’m complaining, however sluggish loading instances times will very frequently impact your placement in google and can injury your high quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I am including this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for a lot extra of your respective exciting content. Ensure that you replace this once more very soon..

14. wooden joints

April 23, 2012 at 8:40 am

Hi my friend! I wish to say that this article is awesome, great written and come with approximately all important infos. I’d like to peer more posts like this .