2012 Spring Training

Spring Training Gameday: Astros vs. Phillies

AstrosHouston Astros vs. Philadelphia Phillies

Time: 1:05 pm, Osceola County Stadium – Kissimmee, FL
Weather: Sunny, 77
TV: Sorry folks, this one’s not on TV today.
Follow Phillies Nation on Twitter

The Phils look for two in a row with Cole Hamels taking the hill for the Fightins. Dom Brown (3-12, 2 XBH, no Ks) gets his first start since injuring his thumb, while Scott Podsednik, Michael Martinez, and Freddy Galvis keep their Spring Training consecutive games streak alive at 12.

Notes: The Vanimal threw 4 innings of no hit ball yesterday with 8 Ks in a dominating performance. Pat Misch followed with 2 more innings of no hit ball. The Pirates did not achieve their first hit until the 7th when David Herndon gave up an infield single to Gorkys Hernandez. Hector Luna hit his second home run of the spring and continues to surprise. Luna can plan third base and, with Pete Orr, is an option should Placido Polanco miss time. Luna has played in every spring game to this point and is hitting .211 with 2 HRs and a 2B.

Phillies Lineup:
1. Scott Podsednik, CF
2. Pete Orr, 3B
3. John Mayberry Jr., 1B
4. Hunter Pence, RF
5. Laynce Nix, DH Lou Montanez, DH
6. Domonic Brown, LF
7. Brian Schneider, C
8. Michael Martinez, SS
9. Freddy Galvis, 2B

Laynce Nix scratched with sore ribs.

Phillies Pitchers:
LHP Cole Hamels
RHP Dave Bush
LHP Raul Valdes
RHP Brian Sanches

GO PHILLIES!

Click to comment

1. The Original Chuck P

March 13, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I saw somewhere that Nix wasn’t penciled in… has that changed?

PS… does anyone else get the lingering feeling that Michael Martinez or one of those outfielders might not make this team? Thought Martinez would be a lock because of his versatility, the fact he was a Rule 5 and because they let Valdez go but Galvis has absolutely outplayed him – Martinez has three errors already. Besides that, Martinez is an offensive liability, to say the least. If Chase can’t go, I’d rather have Galvis at 2B… he and Jimmy seem to have nice chemistry.

• Lefty

March 13, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I don’t have that feeling, but I hope you are right about that.

• Manny

March 13, 2012 at 12:35 pm

They’re definitely giving Galvis a closer look, and it wouldn’t be completely surprising to see him take Mini-Mart’s role — he is the better player all around, after all. If he can get enough repetition as our 25-man (sounds unrealistic on paper but feasible in practice once you take into account that we have injury-prone infielders), I’d love to see him on board. If he’s only gonna get one start per week or so, then we’re better off with him in AAA.

• The Original Chuck P

March 13, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I guess it depends on where the organization views his ceiling… the name that immediately comes to mind is Omar Vizquel. Not a lot of power, tremendous fielder, minimal contact… Galvis has made huge strides with the bat but I don’t know if he’s ever going to be a 15 HR guy (or a .320 guy, for that matter). He should have a very long career as a slick fielding middle infielder but is that enough to baby him and hold him back?

• Lefty

March 13, 2012 at 1:13 pm

From what I’ve seen, despite the lack of power, Galvis is a contact hitter. With guys like Utley Polanco and Rollins all vulnerable to injury and needing rest, I think Freddy would get plenty of playing time. He’d be on my 25 man roster, too bad I don’t get to make those decisions. 🙂

• Ryne Duren

March 14, 2012 at 9:51 am

yea manny mm has to go! galvis has surprised me with hism contact. also he’s has some good ab’s, and he’s a really good glove! i’d rather see him that the multi talented dork mm. i’m with lefty he’s on my 25 man roster.

March 13, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I hope we never, ever get to see a lineup like this one in the regular season.

March 13, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Side note: Kudos to the Vanimal… 8Ks in 4 perfect innings is no small feat, even in Spring training. He stopped working on a new pitch and is perfecting what he already has. He mentioned that he needed results in ST to avoid losing his spot on the rotation.

• Lefty

March 13, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I get that he wanted to have a good outing, but I still hope he doesn’t give up on the splitter. If you don’t try it out against live hitters in S.T., then when else?

4. Chuck A.

March 13, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Please God, let them be thinking that Galvis could be on this team instead of MiniMart.

5. Don M

March 13, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Omar Vizquel wasn’t really a minimal-contact guy …. a career .272 hitter … actually hit .283 while in Cleveland winning all those Gold Gloves every year

Minimal power, but a great glove … and very good base stealer too!

6. Don M

March 13, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Has Galvis played any 3b this spring ?? I feel like every time I see his name in the lineup, its at 2b (is this because they feel like Utley may really need lots of rest and they’d rather have Galvis than MiniMart/ Wiggy/ or Orr …

7. psujoe

March 13, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I think Galvis will go down until there is an injury of some length like 2 weeks or so. I know we’re not suppossed to worry about the luxury tax, but if Valdez was traded because of it and we’re stuck with minny mart then maybe we should worry.

Is Pods still terring it up or is he back down to earth?

8. Chuck A.

March 13, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Galvis said that he was willing to play other positions….other than SS….if that meant he made it to the majors faster. I like that attitude!

9. The Original Chuck P

March 13, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Galvis is a good player… I’m not taking anything away from him… being compared to Omar Vizquel is a tremendous testament to his talent. Vizquel’s first few seasons in the big leagues, he hit .220, .247 and .230. He only has one full season with a batting average over .300. I think Galvis is a similar player. I think he could turn out to be a better hitter than Vizquel (might have a couple +.300 seasons) but Omar was a wizard… and so is Galvis. Omar came up at age 22 and spent his first few seasons getting limited action. I’m saying, if you think Galvis is that type of player, I don’t think it’s necessary to coddle him and worry about PT. Martinez got 209 AB’s last year – if you can get Galvis 300 AB’s (I think you can), I think you keep him around.

Brown went 2-5 with a HR today… he also had a throwing error (simultaneously fist pumping and tugging on hair). All runs were earned so it didn’t amount to anything.

Galvis was 2-3 with a walk. Mini-mart was 2-2.

Nix, as I mentioned, was scratched today (he left yesterday’s game with rib soreness).

Hamels was sharp, allowing one run in 5 innings while striking out 4.

Three different relievers blew saves as the Phils lost in extras… expected that none of those guys will be on the big league roster.