2012 Spring Training

Spring Training Gameday: Blue Jays v. Phillies

Time: 1:05 pm, Bright House Field – Clearwater, FL
Weather: 30% Chance of Rain, 77
TV: MLB.TV
Follow Phillies Nation on Twitter

The Phils play their last Spring home game of 2012 at Bright House Field as Doc matches up against his former team, the Toronto Blue Jays. The biggest surprise of today’s line-up is the inclusion of Hector Luna at second. Luna last played second base in 2010 with the Marlins, spending just 3 innings of one game there. He’s got 708.1 career innings there, or about 78 games worth, but none in between those three innings in 2010 and his time as a regular with the 2006 Cardinals. The most interesting story of this Spring may not be Luna’s surprising play but rather Charlie Manuel’s unbelievable recollection of his career statistics as detailed by David Hale.

Two of the remaining lefties will throw today out of the ‘pen in addition to David Herndon. Meanwhile, the line-up seems to give some clues as to what the Phillies will use during the regular season.

Phillies Lineup:

RHP Roy Halladay
RHP David Herndon
LHP Antonio Bastardo
LHP Raul Valdes

Click to comment

March 31, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Did anybody else see all the SICK plays Galvis made last night? What a glove! It’s like watching Utley play defense in 2008. Not exaggerating.

• EricL

March 31, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I just hope it’s not like watching Steve Jeltz play offense in 1988.

2. The Original Chuck P

March 31, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Galvis is a really good fielder… when you hear comparisons to Omar Vizquel, you know the defense is real. We might not be able to score a lot of runs but our defense up the middle is really good.

3. Jeff Dowder

March 31, 2012 at 1:21 pm

He won’t hit though. His minor league career has been even less remarkable than that of Michael Martinez. Some people like to refer to last season as his “breakout” season, but it’s hard to imagine it carrying over when he’s facing major league pitching. I can’t see the Galvis experiment lasting longer than Memorial Day with this team in need of offense so badly. I hope I’m wrong for the Phillies’ sake.

4. Bruce

March 31, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I just want to offer my congratulations to 49 year old Jamie Moyer being named the no. 2 starter in Colorado Rockies’ rotation. Remarkable! What a wonderful story and hoping for the best with him.

5. bacardipr05

March 31, 2012 at 2:26 pm

While he wont be the next Rollins in sense of that near perfect combo of power , speed, and defense, its possible he could be at least productive with the bat. If hes has excellent defense and can hit at least .250 he be of value. We didnt get a chance to see if he could maintain his success at AAA, due to injuries. It will be interesting to see what he can do. Its also possible since pitchers havent face him he could have a good year with the bat, until the league figures him out.

6. betasigmadeltashag

March 31, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I know I am an extream optimist, but to me when a kid comes up too soon sometimes his minor league numbers do not mean a lot. I know pitching and hitting are not the same but Vance did not have great numbers in AAA and look at what he did. As of now Galvis seems to have a lot more baseball sense and instinct especiallly on the basepath if he can get on. I also think defense with this pitching staff is key. As much as we love the K the Phillies pitchier pitch to contact and defense is extremly importent

7. Chris

March 31, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Ruiz and Polanco have really been tearing it up this spring. I know it’s a small sample size but hopefully they can carry it into the regular season.

8. The Original Chuck P

March 31, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I don’t worry about Galvis because he is going to play good defense and his offense at second base is fine… IMO, Rollins/Galvis is the best defensive 2B/SS duo in the NL East. I’d take them over Desmond/Espinosa, Uggla/Pastornicky and Tejada/Murphy. Reyes/Infante is better overall but I think everyone will be surprised at how good our duo is. I expect a few web gems.

• EricL

April 1, 2012 at 12:46 am

I’d be cautious about labeling Galvis’ offense as “fine.” He’s had precious few AB against MLB pitching, and his minor league numbers, while trending up, do not currently project to be even average for a 2B. Even Michael Martinez had a much more distinguished offensive track record in the minors and we all saw how useless he is at the plate.

I hope the kid plays well and continues to grow, but I’m keeping my expectations low (like I am with JMJ, as well).

9. Bruce

March 31, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Wow! The ultimate optimist. I would be satisfied if Galvis can field his position well to compensate for his lack of hitting as he hold the fort for Utley’s eventual return.

10. Chris

April 1, 2012 at 11:30 am

I’m expecting somewhere between Martinez and Valdez numbers offensively for Galvis. I would guess he does better than Martinez though. He’ll be a bad bat but if he can provide great defense he’ll have value.