Burrell to Retire a Phillie on May 19

Pat Burell will retire a Phillie. (AP)

From the Phillies:

Outfielder Pat Burrell will officially retire as a Phillie during the Boston Red Sox series at Citizens Bank Park in May.

The 35-year-old will sign a one-day minor league contract with the Phillies, thus officially retiring as a member of the organization that selected him as the very first player in the 1998 draft.  He’ll be honored during pregame on Saturday, May 19, by throwing out the ceremonial first pitch.

Burrell wore Phillies pinstripes for nine seasons and ranks fourth in club history in home runs (251), eighth in RBI (827) and ninth in extra-base hits (518).  His Phillies career concluded with a World Championship in 2008.  His last hit as a Phillie was a double that led to the winning run in the decisive Game 5.

He spent the last three seasons with the Tampa Bay Rays and San Francisco Giants, winning another World Series with the Giants in 2010.

— Hide the women and children – Pat the Bat is coming back on May 19.

Click to comment

1. Mazinman

April 12, 2012 at 1:28 pm

We had some up and down times with Pat but the two memoried that will stay with me forever about him will be that double in the World Series and how he shut up Wagner in 2007.

Very happy to see Pat the Bat come back to where he belongs for his retirement.

2. alex

April 12, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Pat Burrell should have never left.

3. betasigmadeltashag

April 12, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I still love the world series highlight film where JRoll is following Pat the Bat down the tunnel and saying “where is number five have you seen number five ” It is a great highlight and then he goes out and hits a double to basicly win the game. I did not live in Philly for the Pat Years, followed them from Vermont and a few games a year visiting family. I know my sister and niece were in love with the guy and I never did get the love hate, for him. Yea he was streaky and pulling his hips back as a ball went over the inside corner for a strike was annoying, But he was part of the begining of the changing atmosphere of the phillies locker room and solid RH protection for Chase and Ryan.

4. Chuck A.

April 12, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Sad thing is, Chase Utley is only 2 years younger and probably has worse knees than Pat.

5. Qneen

April 12, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Still burns my butt that people cheered him and he a homerun when he came as a Giant!!!!! While I was at the park!!! and No I didn’t cheer……………but I figure it was the adrenaline to be home.!

6. Scott

April 12, 2012 at 2:41 pm

The real question is can we really afford to sign him being this close to the Luxury Tax?

• Chuck A.

April 12, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I’m taking this as a joke.

• Scott

April 12, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Yea sorry. I guess sarcasm doesn’t translate well over the internet.

7. Bruce

April 12, 2012 at 11:07 pm

A very nice gesture by the Phillies management. I know it will be a great tribute and honor for Pat Burrell as fans and teammates alike will have the chance to express their thanks and love for him.

8. Dave Lerch

April 13, 2012 at 9:26 am

I think he is the all time leader in called third strike outs with men in scoring position. Huge underachiever with a bad attitude. He facilitated Bowa being run out of town. His contributions are overstated. I think the team and the clubhouse got better the minute he left town.

9. Adrian M.

April 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I complained about Pat like a lot of us did while he was here (2002 and 2005 notwithstanding), but I’m glad he remained a Phillie for so many years and helped us get a ring. I’m sad I won’t get to see him on the 19th. I doubt my wife would react favorably to the arm and a leg I’d have to fork over on Stub Hub for tickets to that game.

April 13, 2012 at 2:22 pm

So just to clarify, will he get any gameday action? I mean, they signed him on a one-year deal.. can he pinch-hit or something?

• Manny

April 13, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Good lord…

11. Pingback: Around the NL East – Ozzie loves booze and Fidel, Hot David Wright gets hurt, Storen, Morse ailing, Pat the Bat retiring in Philly | Domains For Sale