2012 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (0-0) vs. Pirates (0-0)

Philadelphia Phillies (0-0) vs. Pittsburgh Pirates (0-0)

Roy Halladay vs. Erik Bedard

Time: 1:35, PNC Park
TV: PHL 17
Weather: Partly Cloudy, 50
Media: Twitter and Facebook

Here it is. So it begins. This ain’t 2011, that much we do know. At the start of last season, the prevailing thought was, “get us to the World Series.” And to me, that’s the wrong way of thinking. Every game should be enjoyable; it shouldn’t be about looking far ahead to something that may or may not happen. When you do, you’ll be let down, as countless Phillies fans were last October. Do me a favor and savor what this season has to offer.

As for this one, it’s Doc against Erik Bedard, a well-traveled lefty who is now on his fourth team in four years. The Phillies haven’t seen much of him, but as we know, they do struggle against lefties. However, without Ryan Howard and Chase Utley, the lineup is decidedly more right-handed.

Roy Halladay starts his 10th straight opening day. He’s the best, there is no one else I’d rather have kicking off a season. Against Pittsburgh, Halladay is 3-1 over five starts with a miniscule 1.18 ERA. Look for more of the same as the brisk weather usually means some low-scoring baseball early in the season.

And of course, keep your eyes on the lineup. But I didn’t really have to tell you that. One note – Juan Pierre not in today’s lineup, so John Mayberry Jr. gets the first crack at it against the lefty Bedard.

Baseball is back. Enjoy!!

Lineup: Victorino CF, Polanco 3B, Rollins SS, Pence RF, Wigginton 1B, Mayberry LF, Ruiz C, Galvis 2B, Halladay P.

Nugget NectarYour Gameday Beer – Guinness
It’s one of my favorite beers, so enjoy this as you sit back, relax, and watch the Phillies and Pirates open up the 2012 season. The weather is still brisk enough to enjoy this beautiful beverage, which isn’t your prototypical summer beer. But for early April, kick back, enjoy the frothy head, and sip on a delightful drink. Unless you’re at work – that’s a no-no. Hopefully you’ve taken off to enjoy Game 1 of 162.

GO PHILLIES!

1. Chris

April 5, 2012 at 11:20 am

So I was kind of shocked when Charlie didn’t plug Pierre into the leadoff spot here since it seemed like he was ready to do that. I thought he was going to go with a lineup of

Pierre
    Polanco
    Rollins
    Pence
    Victorino
    Mayberry
    Ruiz
    Galvis
    But the one he ended up with is better

• schmenkman

April 5, 2012 at 11:54 am

So he’s going with Mayberry in LF vs. a lefty, which makes sense.

Not sure where that leaves Pierre actually, since he is useless vs. righties…

over the past 4 years:
      vs. RHPs: .271/.315/.331 (.647 OPS)
      vs. LHPs: .321/.406/.350 (.756 OPS)

2. Dave P

April 5, 2012 at 11:41 am

Opening day. I’m pretty much sporting a full hard on.

• Pat Gallen

April 5, 2012 at 11:44 am

I laughed out loud to this. Great job Dave P.

• toddfromfairmount

April 5, 2012 at 11:46 am

Oneal’s watch party, 3rd and South. They also have the baseball package. πŸ™‚

3. Chuck A.

April 5, 2012 at 12:30 pm

So far, Dave P gets the Comment of the Day Award.

4. Deb

April 5, 2012 at 12:31 pm

So excited opening day is FINALLY here! Let’s Go PHILLIES!!! My body can’t be there, but my heart is!!!

5. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 12:42 pm

So much for JMJ losing out in LF, but I regress, it is tough not having a righty on the bench but seeing Pierre’s numbers against lefties he is kind of a righty off the bench. I am also amazed that JRoll is not leading off. I really like him better then Vic leading off and think Jimmy numbers are better leading off then hitting other places in the line up. But maybe this year Jimmy has accepted not being the lead off guy. I was wondering if there were odds that Vic tries to bunt for a basehit to lead off the game

• Manny

April 5, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I’d also rather see Shane batting 3rd and Jimmy leading off. Shane is currently our best hitter on the team.

April 5, 2012 at 12:54 pm

OPENING DAY! GO GET EM DOC!

April 5, 2012 at 1:06 pm

It’s finally here! Spring has sprung, Good Luck Phils

April 5, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Shane’s 2011 splits-
    When batting first .238/.319./.433/.752
    Batting second .308/.372/.535/.907
    Batting third .333/.417/.524/.940 (only 24 PA’s)
    Batting fifth .306/.398/.541/.939

Lead-off was not his strong suit last season. IMO While Howard is out, he should bat fifth.

9. upandaway

April 5, 2012 at 1:18 pm

’80-’08-’12.
    Enjoy EVERY game, guys. Savor it. Life is good. Baseball is a luxury we enjoy, and we have a great team to watch– day in and day out. Appreciate what we have, and dream big!

10. Frank

April 5, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I certainly hope we play better than we did in Spring training!

April 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm

HOLY $HIT JIMMY’S FIRST HIT IS A BUNT SINGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THE WORLD!!!? WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

• Pat Gallen

April 5, 2012 at 1:53 pm

And a leadoff hit for Roy Halladay. So weird.

April 5, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Aww Galvis πŸ™

13. Brendan C

April 5, 2012 at 2:08 pm

All trust in Doc to mow down today. Lets go Phils

14. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 2:10 pm

was close Jimmy with a bunt base hit and Doc up to his old self first batter one hit then another then a DP and a fly out Doc’s typical first inning. JMJ with a hit, Galvis has to be a little more patient but I can cut the 22 year old some slack

15. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 2:15 pm

once again after the first inning Doc goes on a roll. Hope it is a fast game cause I eventually have to go to work one advantages of Managing a Restaurant my schedule is pretty flexible, plus usually have Thursday off but have to work tonight cause why? OH YEA I will be in PHilly for the home opener monday and tuesday GO PHILS

16. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Can not blame Vic there that was High and tight I do not care what the K zone says that was not a ML strike. ANd I am stuck listening to the pirates announcers on extra innings no PHilly fed for me today

17. branderson925

April 5, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Does anyone know where I cant watch the game online? I am studying abroad and this is the only bad thing about it, not seeing the Phils.
    Atdhetv and FirstRowSports don’t have it. Well I can’t use FirstRow for a Mac…Ah!

• Pat Gallen

April 5, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Yeah I dont know of a spot. Sorry dude. But best of luck overseas!

• The Original Chuck P

April 5, 2012 at 4:15 pm

http:www.livetv.ru/en

That site is a good one for finding streams of live events.

18. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 2:30 pm

you mean for free? I would think you could buy mlb.com for all games

19. Andrew from Waldorf

April 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Beta you digress not regress.

You get to see the greatest athlete in the world today.
    If he could pitch vs this Phillies line up could see 200 innings of no hit ball.
    But I digress

No Wheeler for me πŸ™

I am sure his hair is perfect though.

20. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 2:40 pm

two nice defensive plays by Wiggy at first so far. Now it is time to get on this Bedard character score some runs

April 5, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Another Galvis DP. Painful.

22. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Maybe my hopes will come true and Freddy will get another chace in the 8th or 9th with guys on and drive in a run.

April 5, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Mayberry making some good plays defensively!!

• Manny

April 5, 2012 at 2:51 pm

If it were Nix out there we’d be losing…

24. Mazinman

April 5, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Offense has been a problem so far but I am loving the defense the Phils are playing. Good Defense + Doc is a winning formula if we can get any runs at all.

25. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 2:52 pm

JMJ playing some good d out there in left. now he has lay off the fastball over his head,

April 5, 2012 at 2:55 pm

What sucks about Galvis’ DPs is that they’ve forced Doc to lead off in an inning twice already.

27. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 2:57 pm

ump does not like the outside corner but likes off the inside corner for strikes should will Vic run here

April 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Wtf Polly don’t go for that pitch….

April 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm

First steal of the year woo!

30. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Poly never gave him a chance, what happened to the ultimate two hole hitter, Vic running as I type and safe

31. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 2:59 pm

come on Jimmy all you need is a base hit not HR

32. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I forgot to mention because of last nights game Phillies are tied for first place with the Nats, Mets and Braves

33. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm

OK new guy pick us up and be a folk hero in philly for a while

34. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Well a base knock that is something now that string some hits together

35. Mazinman

April 5, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Mayberry is having himself a heck of a game so far.

36. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:11 pm

JMJ the extra base hit machine lets go Chooch be cluthch early

37. Mazinman

April 5, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Finally a run! Woo!

April 5, 2012 at 3:13 pm

YAY!!

39. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Guess Wiggy is fast enough there way to put the bat on the ball Chooch deep enough. JMJ playing good Freddy still has the solid glove.

40. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Wow I am being terrible the kid jumps to ML from AA and is 22 playing a position he has never played and I am already harrasing him for going 0-3. What is wrong with me, I guess moving to Vermont can not take all the Philly out of me lol

• Mazinman

April 5, 2012 at 3:21 pm

LOL! The glove is really all that matters with Galvis right now although I definitely would like to see him develop his bats.

Only 79 pitches for Doc. Got a feeling the bullpen will not be seeing work today.

• betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Htnaks Mazi I was wondering about that because the Pittsburg feed of the game is not showing pitch counts. as long as he is under 100 he should be good.

41. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:21 pm

maybe we should sign a pitcher that just pitches the first inning for Doc. He has given up two hits and hit a guy, and nothing else those two hits the first two batters he faced today.

42. Mazinman

April 5, 2012 at 3:22 pm

And Halladay takes the early lead in the pitcher’s hitting competition!

43. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I guess Charlie going to ridehis horse to nine, really bunting Doc over I know we want small ball but this is pushing it

44. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Does that count in fantasy baseball scoring or if you have dh’s does the pitchers hitting stats not count

45. Mazinman

April 5, 2012 at 3:33 pm

On a side note, Yahoo still has a picture of Hunter Pence as an Astro from last year when he comes up to bat in their Gameday section. How lazy is that!?.

46. Andrew from Waldorf

April 5, 2012 at 2:34 pm

1. MLB extra innings has a free trial the first 2 weeks every year. And 2 weeks after the all star break.

2. Will the Phillies score thier first run on Thursday or Friday? ( that ould be april 12th and 13th)

3. Thank god this is a top 14 line up. Or there would be trouble.

47. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:38 pm

that was almost a utley move where he turns into the ball to get a on base you have to appreciate that play. That is how the game is played

• Mazinman

April 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm

And you have to appreciate Halladay not letting that get to him and blowing away the next guy up to end the inning.

48. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Doc is still rolling and I wonder when was the last time Doc hit two batters in one game

49. Mazinman

April 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm

HBP = Pirate’s Offense today.

50. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Cubbies got to Strausburg for a run winning 1-0 just happens to be on the other channel that I have been switching to during comercials

51. Mazinman

April 5, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Phils, Nats, Mets, Braves all in 1-0 games. Says a lot about the quality of the #1 pitchers in this division.

52. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:43 pm

would like an insurance run here just to put them away

53. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:46 pm

pittsburg announcers do not even know Doc’s pitch count I have been to that stadium and know it is on the boards there really these guys are a joke. Oh well JMJ good game two hits one double and two good devensive plays that works for me

54. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:48 pm

how about Chooch 2-2 make that 3-3 and a sac fly RBI maybe he should bat fiffth

55. Mazinman

April 5, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Chooch has pretty much been the Phillies offense today.

56. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:49 pm

nice try freddy lets see what you have from the left side now

57. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:51 pm

good pitch is Doc coming out was Thome just a decoy or are we going to see Paps

58. Mazinman

April 5, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Papelbon is heading in? Wow! I guess they are going to be serious about limiting Doc’s innings this year.

59. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:54 pm

OK that is a surprise throw the new guy in the fire. I am shocked Charle took the ball from’s Doc’s hand with what 90 pitches

60. Mazinman

April 5, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I think that is all Papelbon. If Madson is our closer Doc does not go out.

61. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 3:57 pm

93-94 for Pap so far good start with the K. Would have thought Doc would have fought him for the ball,

62. Mazinman

April 5, 2012 at 3:59 pm

And Yahoo is also using Papelbon’s image from last year as a Red Sox. Lazy!

63. Mazinman

April 5, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Nice!

Well folks, this is your winning formula for this season. Great starting pitching, solid defense, Papelbon in the end, and just enough offense to win.

64. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 4:01 pm

nice job McCutcen tryng to throw him off his rythm. come on Pap save one for Doc. Antoher nice play by Wiggy at first I can the guy can play first. PHILLIES WIN 1-0 and they are 1-0 on the way to 162-0 it is still a possibility(I am only kidding) Doc with the win Paps with a Save and JMJ with a double Chooch with game winning rbi and 3-3 a good day now it is off to work

65. Chuck A.

April 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm

There’s no reason to leave Doc in there when you have a $50M closer ready and waiting in the pen. That was a no brainer of a decision.

66. Mazinman

April 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Have a good day at work beta!

Today makes all that speculation about if there was anything wrong with Doc in Spring Training look silly. The guy is a master.

67. Andrew from Waldorf

April 5, 2012 at 3:17 pm

For all you haters out there the reg first basescrub would not have scored there.

No crying in baseball

68. The Original Chuck P

April 5, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Doc is unhuman…

I think we are going to love Papelbon. Great karma… can you imagine if Rube had re-signed Madson like we all wanted?

69. Bruce

April 5, 2012 at 4:30 pm

The low scoring games in season openers are not a surprise to me . It’s a clichΓ© but there is a lot of truth to pitchers being ahead of hitters early in the season. Of course, it helps to have your best pitcher out there. πŸ™‚

Galvis’ major league debut is not exactly to rave about (chuckles).It’s only one game but he did looked overmatched in his at bats. Two DPs and a strikeout gives me an ominous feeling about him in the games to follow. I hope I’m wrong with my impression of him.

• The Original Chuck P

April 6, 2012 at 9:59 am

But the double play he turned in the first inning was great. Chase might not have the arm to throw out McCutchen there. It changed the complexion of the inning and the game – instead of it being men on first and third with one out, it became a man on third with two outs and Doc got out of the inning unscathed. That was certainly one of the most important plays of the game. He’ll be ok… it’s WIP at the plate but he gives us arguably the best defensive combo up the middle in all of baseball and that excites me.

• schmenkman

April 6, 2012 at 11:12 am

Bruce, I was curious about the pitchers being ahead of hitters, and looked up some stats. It does seem to be true most years, although it wasn’t for the past two…

This is OPS across MLB, in April and for the full season:

April vs. Overall (diff)
      2011: .711 vs. .720 (-9)
      2010: .738 vs. .728 (+10)
      2009: .762 vs. .751 (+11)
      2008: .733 vs. .749 (-16)
      2007: .731 vs. .758 (-27)
      2006: .767 vs. .768 (-1)

2011 link: http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/split.cgi?t=b&year=2011&lg=MLB

• schmenkman

April 6, 2012 at 11:15 am

*although it wasn’t for two of the past three.

70. Ryne Duren

April 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm

WE WINNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

71. Andrew from Waldorf

April 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm

winner winner chicken dinner

Get used to it.

Please old man

Fight for every run and make them play the game right. Even if you want to sit there and wait for some phantom to hit a 6 run 900 foot homer.