Halladay Masterful in 1-0 Win Over Pirates

Doc had his good stuff working. (AP)

It’s the Year of the Pitcher, Round Three. In the Phillies season-opening 1-0 win over the Pirates, Roy Halladay and Erik Bedard kicked off the year with a duel and, of course, runs were hard to come by.

Halladay was virtually unhittable, although Pirates left fielder Alex Presley led off the game with a single. Charlie Manuel made the move to pull Doc after eight innings, two hits, no walks, and five strikeouts. The only blemishes; two hit batsmen. He threw only 92 pitches, but Charlie decided to go to the $50 million closer, Jonathan Papelbon. I wasn’t on board with the move – why take out the best pitcher in the game while he’s cruising? – but, it worked. Pap recorded his first save as a Phillie.

Erik Bedard did all he could for the Pirates, but they just could not score on Halladay. Bedard went seven innings, allowed six hits and fanned four. The only run for the Phillies came in the seventh inning during a mini-rally.

Ty Wigginton led off with a single to center field and was moved to third base on a double by John Mayberry. Two guys they need to step up this year to provide something, did. Wigginton then scored on a sac fly to right field by Carlos Ruiz.

How about Chooch! A 3-for-3 day with the lone RBI of the game. He had a day filled with solid at-bats, going the other way a few times. Ruiz hit .500 during Spring Training and that carried right on over to Opening Day.

Mayberry also made several solid plays in the field. A few times he battled the strong Pittsburgh sun to rob base hits near the wall. So. not only did JMJ bust out with a 2-for-4 day, but his defense stood out.

Freddy Galvis had an opportunity to do some damage in the second inning with two on and one out, and again in the fifth with one on and one out, but quickly found out how hard it is to hit in the majors. He promptly ended both possibly rallies with two double-plays. Not exactly the start he wanted.

Offensively, it wasn’t the optimal start to the year for the Phillies. But its good to know Doc is riding high right away.

Tomorrow is an off-day for the Phillies, they’re back on Saturday with Cliff Lee on the hill. So, 162-0 is still within reach.

In addition, David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News says Scott Podsednik will report to Triple-A Lehigh Valley, giving the Phillies plenty of depth.

Click to comment

1. Joey spagna

April 5, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Big deal they beat Pitt. LETS GO YANKEES!!!!!!!!

• Ryne Duren

April 6, 2012 at 2:41 pm

my son and i taught my grandson well. we were watching the yankees play a s.t. game on mlb and he’s gonna be 4 yrs old. he said to my son” daddy is that the stinkin yankees?” gotta love it!

2. bacardipr05

April 5, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Geez and people would bitch that Exxon hit into double plays….Brace yourself theres going to be a lot of 1-0, 2-1 games this year…

3. Mazinman

April 5, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Awesome to have baseball back in my life!

Halladay is just unreal. He had his scarry moment in the 1st but after that he dominated the game. I was absolutely shocked to see him get taken out for the 9th. My first thought was panic that there might be an injury involved. Thinking twice about it, however, I really like the move. Papelbon is among the best at what he does and the more wear and tear we can save on Doc the better we will be for it. Gotta love Papelbon’s energy and that stare. His post game interview was pretty entertaining as well. Great defense behind both of them too.

It was disappointing to only get 1 run but I saw some things that leaves me optimistic. Jimmy bunting for a hit was huge. If he is willing to commit himself to using his speed like that he will be a much more dangerous hitter. Great to see Chooch continue his hot streak and Mayberry bounced back well from a disappointing Spring with a good game.

We may have a lot of 1-0 or 2-1 games but at least we are well equipped to win those.

• Pat Gallen

April 5, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I get the wear and tear thing. But Doc was on cruise control. 92 pitches! Whats 14 more? Its not like he had 116.

• George

April 5, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Halladay maxed out at 88 pitches in Spring Training, so I’m glad he was taken out. “Cruise control” or not, 14 more pitches would have pushed him to 106. No one is in mid-season form this early in the year, so why risk it? He’ll get plenty of opportunities for complete games later.

• Ryne Duren

April 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm

he’s what? 35 pat. so what they took him out! saved 14 pitches? another post said he maxed out in s.t. at 88 pitches. why where him down? then 3/4 through the season and he shows signs of fatigue you’ll complain that they’re overworking him. if they keep these guys at or around 95 to 105 pitches that would be fine with me. we don’t need any of our aces to get worn out and injured! without a dynamic offense we need these guys strong all year. we have enough bullpen depth, not just on the 25 man roster but our minors are overflowing with arms to replentish the pen. all year!

4. DCmikey

April 5, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Who doesn’t love a hard fought game!!!

It’s almost as if I am looking forward to a grind it out game. Last year, as a fan, I was a little cocky bc of all the stars we had…this year we will have to grind out the hits and work hard for
    every W!! (then when Utley and Ryan come back- we can relax, ha ha kidding). I appreciated today’s first game win.

Does that make sense? Did anyone else feel that way about last year and now this?

• EricL

April 5, 2012 at 5:00 pm

You know, this team isn’t really all that different than the team the Phils trotted out there last opening day:

Wigginton (decline)
      Galvis (push)
      Mayberry (improvement)
      Pence (improvement)

5. betasigmadeltashag

April 5, 2012 at 4:55 pm

JMJ still a extra base hit machine against lefties, and solid play in LF along with Wiggy playing some solid defense at first base. Can we give Galvis a little time before we hammer on him please.
    I was on the fence with the ninth inning, maybe Charlie just wanted to get Pap in there to get it out of the way and get comfy in Pittsburg knowing they can not hit. Another half inning to Doc does not mean that much but I think it was more to just set the stage for the year to come. Complete games are nice but winning is better. I will say I was shocked to see Charlie take Doc out, but I think that is a good sign that he is at least thinking about saving some stress on Doc’s arm. A win is a win and 161 more to got to enjoy the ride

6. Jeff

April 5, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Pat, sorry have to disagree. I know whats new. First game of the year..WHY push doc. We need him all year long. Lots of innings to pitch. Think back when we left him in against a 1-0 or 2-1 loss against the pirates in July. Stupid. You have a big time closer brought here to take the stress off of these guys. Great move

7. Don M

April 5, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I think we all wanted Halladay to get a shutout, but he did his job and they pay Papelbon a lot of money to finish things off… And closers admittedly don’t like entering games with runners on base already so if Halladay got into trouble, that would’ve effected both pitchers … Nice win, way to start the season with a “W”

8. bacardipr05

April 5, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I agree with Jeff…although if Papelbon blew it every single one of use would be saying they should of kept Hallday in…

9. Chris

April 5, 2012 at 5:10 pm

We probably left a run or two out there today. Honestly the offense didn’t look that bad they had some rallies killed by Galvis and it hurt. Halladay was a beast.

10. Pat Gallen

April 5, 2012 at 5:32 pm

If Doc had finished that game with 105 pitches, no one would have blinked an eye.

• Ian Riccaboni

April 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm

While I agree with that statement, Papelbon is the team’s shiny new toy. There were a handful of games lost last year and 2010, including Roy Halladay bobblehead night in 2010, were Roy blinked late in the game around 90-100 pitches and lost 2-1. Papelbon’s got the richest closer contract out there so I definitely think you use him there. Why else would you give him the big bucks?

• Ryne Duren

April 6, 2012 at 2:56 pm

hey pat sorry if i sounded a little brash for disagreeing with ya earlier , just thought i’d let you know that cause i just read chuck a’s comment and agree. we all still love ya bro!

11. Jeff

April 5, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Pat…He had 92 pitches. Why push him. This is the best pitcher in baseball. No disrespect to Justin. We need Doc….God forbid he got a little wild in that 9th. This is April 5th

12. Teen Wolf Blitzer

April 5, 2012 at 6:51 pm

They pay Papelbon more on a “per inning basis” than they pay Halladay or any of their other starters. They value the closer role so much that they made it their number one off season priority. They awarded Papelbon the most guaranteed money ever given to a closer. If they didn’t use him today in a one run game, then I don’t know what the point of signing him was. It was the right move, no matter who the starter was and no matter what point in the season it was.

13. Ian Riccaboni

April 5, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Just an FYI to all those saying that the Phils don’t have a great offense:

After two days of games, NL East teams are averaging .8333 runs per game, meaning the Phils, at 1 run per game, are quite simply an offensive juggernaut within this division.They’re 16.67% better than NL East average!

All kidding aside, great game, was a lot of fun. Saw a lot of hits, good station to station baseball when possible and appropriate, and some great pitching. Good win.

14. Westport Johnny

April 5, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Sounds like a great day. Agree with Cholly’s decision to pull Doc after 92 pitches and give his new closer, Paps, a test drive. One question- how was Doc’s veloity? Heard that a concern coming in…

15. c schreiber

April 5, 2012 at 9:38 pm

First example of us needing an Utley & Howard types back in lineup. Not going to win many scoring one run.

16. George

April 5, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Galvis should be cut some slack. Bedard, when healthy, is one of the better pitchers in the game. He’s not exactly who you’d want to face in your ML debut. No one else (except Mayberry and Ruiz) was hitting Bedard much either.

17. psujoe

April 5, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I was hoping to see Pierre in LF with JMJ at 1B, but all is well that ends well. Sucks they have a day off already tomorrow when I’m off.

18. Brooks

April 6, 2012 at 12:17 am

We’ll see JP soon enough and Junior at first.
    Great to see Paps hitting the gun at 95 too. I know Freddy had the shakes but it worked out – there is a W.

• Walt M

April 6, 2012 at 11:49 am

Brooks – we have more than one JP – when you posted I automatically thought of J Papelbon, not J Pierre.

19. Adrian M.

April 6, 2012 at 12:26 am

It’s interesting that Galvis was brought up mainly for his defense, but his outs at the plate (6) outweighed his outs recorded in the field (5). Saturday should be better for him.

20. Chuck A.

April 6, 2012 at 7:57 am

Pat, you’re getting killed on this thread because of your feeling that Doc should hve been left in….and I’m sorry to say that I have to add to that. It was a no-brainer of a move by Charlie to remove him and put in Paps. 1) It’s the first game of the season, so why push it? 2) Papelbon is the $50M closer – this is why he’s here in the first place.

But we all still love ya, brotha…. keep up the good work!

21. TheDipsy

April 6, 2012 at 8:05 am

Not to be a wet blanket, but Doc left some pitches up yesterday. Its a good thing there were Pirates trying to hit them.

The Dipsy

22. Don M

April 6, 2012 at 9:55 am

I think the extreme reactions are funny . . . . Pat didn’t bash Charlie, he simply said, “I wasn’t on board with the move – why take out the best pitcher in the game while he’s cruising? – but, it worked. ”

If anyone on here didn’t at least think that the decision to let Halladay go for the shutout, with a managable pitch count vs. Papelbon coming in for the save … was a difficult one, you’re lying.

I personally would’ve let Halladay finish the deal …but that’s among the reasons that i’m not an MLB manager. Bottom line is that we got the “W” .. both pitchers looked great.. and we’ll look to win at least one more on the road before we head home for the big series Monday vs. Miami !

April 6, 2012 at 10:18 am

As somebody else mentioned, Halladay didn’t crack 90 pitches in a game during Spring Training… so 92 seemed the ideal pitch count to take him out of the game and bring in Papelbon, who, by the way, looked in midseason form during Spring Training. Easy move. (Even Halladay understood the move, he didn’t “fight” Charlie cause he knew that it was way too early in the season –that’s on

Really, a no-brainer.

24. The Original Chuck P

April 6, 2012 at 10:46 am

Absolutely ok with taking Halladay out… first, we have a bona fide closer now and closing games is what Papelbon is paid to do. I have faith in Doc but the only thing that can derail this team is injuries… we are playing for October not April or May. Doc didn’t exactly inspire confidence this spring… I think that a strong message was given to Charlie/Dubee to take it easy with the $20 million arms. I trust Papelbon and I think we are going to love what this guy brings. Further, as someone else mentioned, I can recall a handful of times last year where Doc didn’t strong armed to get his way (to stay in the game) only to see things get very interesting (or completely blown). There will be times when keeping Doc in the game will make sense but Charlie has to send the message early that Doc doesn’t call the shots.

Here’s the thing about Galvis… I know that his two GIDP’s is awful BUT he made arguably the biggest play in that game turning two in the first. That was NOT an easy play by any means with the uber-speedy McCutchen getting up the line. I don’t know if Utley makes that throw. I’m excited to see Galvis/Rollins for the foreseeable future. That will manifest itself as one of the best DP combos in the game and it absolutely solidifies our defense up the middle.

Beating a dead horse here… where is Chase? Any chance we can get him back a little sooner by sticking him at first??

25. Pingback: Away We Go: Game 1 – Phillies 1, Pirates 0 | Eric Bruntlett Fan Club

26. Jeff

April 6, 2012 at 11:44 am

started my mlb the show 2012 season last night. using the same lineups. utley and howard are on the dl. i lost wingington in the first inning. he hit a shot off the scoreboard and slid into second breaking his hand. 2 months out. man….

galvis came up with two runners on and hit a bomb. first major league at bat. doc gave up a bunch for me. 5 runs. 6-6 in the 12th and rollins hits a triple. paps came in and nailed it down.

thanks to knight on for the best rosters in the world. the faces are amazing.

27. branderson925

April 6, 2012 at 11:55 am

Wins a win. Not going to add to the keep in/pull Halladay discussion.

Good things from the offense. Real happy with Chooch’s performance. I wonder how much play time Pierre will get this year. Would be cool to have a 30+ steal guy on the Phils for the first time in a bit.

Can’t wait for Clifton. Predicting a 4-1 victory on Saturday.

• GM

April 6, 2012 at 12:10 pm

We have had a 30+ SB guy every year since 2004.

2011: Rollins – 30 SB
      2010: Victorino – 34 SB
      2009: Rollins – 31 SB
      2008: Rollins – 47 SB; Victorino – 36 SB
      2007: Rollins – 41 SB; Victorino – 37 SB
      2006: Rollins – 36 SB
      2005: Rollins – 41 SB; Abreu – 31 SB
      2004: Abreu – 40 SB; Rollins – 30 SB

April 6, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Pulling Doc was a tough call, I can’t honestly say what I would do if I had to make the call. I’m guessing that with a 3 or 4 run lead, the decision would be easier. But the fact that Thome was on deck to try to score again tells me Charlie probably made up his mind when Ruiz got on. It’s a shame Galvis bunt didn’t stay fair- safe all around, that would have made the decision a no brainer to PH Thome. But the call had to be made before knowing whether Galvis bunt would be successful.

29. sheath wedding dress

April 11, 2012 at 10:44 pm

obviously like your website but you have to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very bothersome to tell the truth nevertheless I will definitely come again again.