Posts

Injury Updates on Hunter Pence and Ryan Howard

The Phillies issue the following statement:

“After seeing the wound specialist in Philadelphia yesterday, Ryan Howard’s wound has gotten smaller and is healing.  We’ve been advised to limit his activities for one more week to allow it to continue to heal.  We hope that he will be able to re-start his baseball activities thereafter.

Additionally, Hunter Pence will undergo a precautionary MRI on his left shoulder (non-throwing) here in Phoenix.  We hope to have the results later this afternoon.”

———————

-As for Howard, it’s still a positive step in the right direction, although he’ll have to remain away from baseball activites while this ridiculous wound continues to close completely. I think I’ve seen gunshot wounds heal faster (kidding, I think).

-With Pence, an MRI is never a good sign, as we know. Let’s hope it’s just a minimal DL stint (or less, of course) for the right-fielder. Although he’s slumping, they can ill-afford to lose one of their only power threats still standing.

Click to comment

1. upandaway

April 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I had a wound due to infection that required a wound vac. It’s the strangest thing to just have a hole the size of a ping-pong ball on your body, and it does heal slowly. He has no choice but to take it slow. There’s a chance he’ll need longer than one week. Those things don’t heal at a steady pace.

• schmenkman

April 24, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I don’t know where your wound was, but I understand that healing in the achilles area is slowed further because there is not much blood flow there.

• sdabney

May 21, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I’m currently dealing with a wound down by my ankle so basically the same area with slow blood flow. What he needs to do is increase his protein consumption!

2. Jeff Dowder

April 24, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Hopefully the team rethinks it’s policy on cortisone injections. With a double digit division lead there wasn’t much need to have Howard playing down the stretch last season.

3. Tom

April 24, 2012 at 2:41 pm

When I read these articles and see what is happening with all the injuries, all I can think of is the line from MP & the Holy Grail…”Bring out your dead!”

• DJ

April 24, 2012 at 3:09 pm

It’s just a flesh wound!

April 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Seriously, this wound has taken forever to heal. But, more importantly, how long will it take Howard to be ready for baseball again once it’s healed? A month? More?

I’m also worried about Hunter… He’s one of our top 2 offensive players remaining (excluding Chase and Ryan) and we basically need him to carry this team on his back just to hold down the fort and avoid falling way behind in the league. Now somebody else needs to step up..and BIG TIME.

Can’t wait for Utley to come back healthy… I’d be surprised if we don’t see him sometime in May. Looks like he’s improving steadily.

5. Pingback: LINK: Injury Updates on Hunter Pence and Ryan Howard | Philadelphia Phillies Dugout Online | Philadelphia Phillies Blog

6. bacardipr05

April 24, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I smell BS…

• schmenkman

April 24, 2012 at 6:20 pm

On Howard or Pence?

7. landshark

April 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Call me crazy, but I think the front office needs to choke this season up as a complete total disaster. Were already 7 games out and its only going to get worse from here. I think there is zero chance that we sign Hamels after this season…This would be a perfect way for us to avoid that risky price tag, and trade him to the AL for some young talent and possibly think of the longevity of this team. We need OFFENSE, some young blood in this lineup (Not named Galvis or Brown)

• Jeff Dowder

April 24, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Knowing that RAJ received Ramirez, Aumont, and Gillies in return for Cliff Lee (with a full season left on his deal), what type of young talent do you think he’d receive for Cole Hamels (with a partial season left under contract)? Unless a perfect storm materializes at the trade deadline, I don’t think it’s as much as people think.

• schmenkman

April 24, 2012 at 5:36 pm

“Crazy” would be kind.

• psujoe

April 24, 2012 at 5:59 pm

5.5 games back with 2 less games played. They came back from further down with 2 weeks left in the season. No way you blow it up now. they can’t hit any worse and they managed to win 7 games. If you upgrade 25% of your position players that’s a huge upgrade. Way too early to throw in the towel even though itdoes look bleak.

8. Chuck A.

April 24, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Uhhhhh….and this is news??

Next…

9. TheDipsy

April 24, 2012 at 6:43 pm

You can get a ton for Cole Hamels if you’re gonna trade him to a team that will sign him. A ton.

The Dipsy

• Jeff Dowder

April 24, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Give me a recent example of “a ton”.

In 2010, the Yankees had a deadline deal in place that would have sent Jesus Montero, David Adams and Zach McAlliste to Seattle for Cliff Lee. Is that what you’re looking for? That deal fell apart and Seattle ended up trading Lee to Texas for Justin Smoak, Matthew Lawson, Blake Beavan, Josh Lueke.

So, with two teams bidding against each other those were the players offered or ultimately traded. Is that what qualifies as a ton? Maybe some of those names turn out to be players in a few years, but they’re still mostly prospects two seasons later.

We’re basically looking at another Ramirez, Aumont, and Gillies type deal for Hamels.

10. TheDipsy

April 24, 2012 at 7:29 pm

No. If you have the Dodgers, Cubs, Red Sox, and Yankees all bidding for his services in July, and each one willing to pay him, you will get a ton. Red Sox v. The Yanks for Hamels? Puh-lease. That’ll be interesting.

The Dipsy

• Jeff Dowder

April 24, 2012 at 7:41 pm

You’re overly optimistic, Dipsy. Teams don’t give up a ton for rentals anymore. It doesn’t matter if they think they have a chance to sign the player. In the economic state of today’s game young, talented (and cheap) players hold a lot of value.

Come up with a recent example that you think is close to the Hamels situation. You obviously don’t think the Lee deadline deal was relevant (even though both Texas and NYY were in a pennant race and were planning on re-signing Lee).

11. TheDipsy

April 24, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Jeff, these are teams that will sign him once they trade for him. Not a rental. The trade his made, the team signs him to a big extension, done.

The Dipsy

12. Pat

April 25, 2012 at 8:43 am

I thank my ortho every visit for talking out of surgery when I snapped my Achilles. The very scenario he put out as 50/50 happened to Howard. The skin covering the Achilles is the thinnest on the body. The blood flow to the the Achilles is also the lowest to any area of the body. In the past year drs are opting for non surgical repair by booting. It takes the same amount of time to heal without all the risks.

13. Windows

August 1, 2012 at 4:46 am

It is perfect time to make a few plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this put up and if I may just I desire to suggest you some attention-grabbing things or advice. Perhaps you can write subsequent articles relating to this article. I desire to read more things about it!

14. marketing

August 2, 2012 at 12:24 am

Thanks , I have recently been looking for information approximately this topic for a while and yours is the best I have discovered so far. However, what concerning the bottom line? Are you certain in regards to the supply?|What i don’t understood is in reality how you are no longer really a lot more smartly-liked than you might be right now. You are very intelligent.