Analysis

Joe Savery, Pete Orr Round Out Phillies Roster

Savery is the final pitcher on a roster that needed another lefty.

From the Phillies:

The Phillies have finalized their Opening Day roster for the 2012 regular season, Manager Charlie Manuel announced today.

The Phillies made the following transactions: infielder Pete Orr had his contract selected; infielder Hector Luna, outfielder Scott Podsednik and left-hander Raul Valdes were reassigned to the minor leagues; infielders Ryan Howard (left Achilles surgery), Michael Martinez (fractured fourth metatarsal in right foot) and Chase Utley (chondromalacia), as well as right-handers Jose Contreras (right elbow surgery) and Justin De Fratus (right elbow sprain), were placed on the major league disabled list, retroactive to March 26.

The Opening Day roster includes 12 pitchers, two catchers, six infielders and five outfielders.

Pitchers: Right-handers Joe Blanton, Roy Halladay, David Herndon, Kyle Kendrick, Jonathan Papelbon, Chad Qualls, Michael Stutes and Vance Worley, and left-handers Antonio Bastardo, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee and Joe Savery.

Catchers: Carlos Ruiz and Brian Schneider.

Infielders: Freddy Galvis, Pete Orr, Placido Polanco, Jimmy Rollins, Jim Thome and Ty Wigginton.

Outfielders: John Mayberry Jr., Laynce Nix, Hunter Pence, Juan Pierre and Shane Victorino.

The Phillies now have 39 players on their 40-man roster.

Opinion: Great news that Joe Savery has made the roster. What an unbelievable story. Orr beating out Luna must come down to speed and familiarity. Luna clearly had the better spring. Also good news; Stutes being healthy and able to start the year on the 25-man roster. Kind of odd; the Phillies taking 12 pitchers with them.

The season is here – let’s get it on!

Click to comment

1. Chris

April 3, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Maybe they’re going with 12 now because their starters aren’t quite stretched out like they would be midseason. So they might need more bullpen innings toward the beginning.

2. EricL

April 3, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Very left-handed bench, it seems. Other than that I like the choice of Savery and I’ve always thought Orr was a capable backup option, so seems ok to me, I guess. I’d probably rather have Pods over Pierre and Brown over both of them, but whatever.

• Pat Gallen

April 3, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Would have liked to see the “Luna-tics out in Ashburn Alley, but what can you do. Luna outplayed him, for sure, but they went with what they knew.

• EricL

April 3, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Yeah, Luna outplayed Orr and Podsednik outplayed Pierre, and neither was taken.

Protip for next season’s ST invitees: Get outplayed; it improves your chances.

• Pat Gallen

April 3, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Well the Pierre move I get because of their contract status, but Luna definitely outplayed Orr. And he proved he could play multiple positions. I think Orr is a nice guy, hard worker, but probably should have been Luna. At least see if you can catch lightning with Luna – you know what you’re getting from Orr.

• EricL

April 3, 2012 at 11:43 pm

I think they’re putting a premium on speed over the added pop this season, or so it seems, and Orr can absolutely fly. (Although Pods outran Pierre, so I don’t know about that one either) Anyway, if they’re looking at steals Orr swipes bags around a 76% clip in the majors while Luna is only around 66% or so, which is below the ‘break-even’ rate.

Honestly, with Polanco and Jimmy’s histories I wouldn’t be surprised if we see all of them at some point this season.

• Chris

April 3, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Pierre actually ended up outplaying Pods this spring. They’ve both had around 60 ABs. Small sample size but Pierre had an OBP of .433 and Pods had one of .377. Furthermore Pods may have more power but he wasn’t able to slug enough to have a higher OPS than Pierre.

Like I said small sample size but if you’re going by who outplayed who in Spring it was Pierre who outplayed Pods.

3. bacardipr05

April 3, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Ha right EricL…I knew from start Pierre was going to get it.. I know Pods was getting crazy love on the blogs and all but i pretty much knew they would go with Pierre…Surprise that the went with Orr over Luna…Cholly was impressed with him and he did have a good ST…If i was Pods i would just ask for my release at this point…

4. gene

April 3, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Was really hoping for pods so we could see more of his smoking hot wife

5. brooks

April 4, 2012 at 12:05 am

I enjoyed seeing Luna out there tonight and Orr contributed as well. I think that when Pierre comes to bat, the outfields should play just outside of the infield – the man can hit but has absolutely no power whatsoever.
    Luna made a tremendous play defending a bunt down the thirdbase line barehanded. His quickness and armstrength were the only reasons for the out. I dont think Poly would have made it happen.

Eric is right, we will see Pods and Luna up before you know it.

One more thing, why is Herndon on the roster again?

• EricL

April 4, 2012 at 12:29 am

Yeah, with Pierre and Polanco we’ve got two players who allow the opposing team to bring their OF within spitting distance of the infield. That’s not ideal.

And Herndon is on the roster because he was VERY good last season after coming back from the minors (and also because Stutes, Contreras, and DeFratus are all on the DL). From May 1 though the end of the season he posted a 1.94 ERA, held opposing batters to a .237/.314/.385 slash line and was generally one of the best relievers on the team.

6. upandaway

April 4, 2012 at 12:08 am

Told ya they’d go with 12 pitchers.

7. Mike F

April 4, 2012 at 1:32 am

What’s going to happen with Pods? Will he be in AAA now or is he going to exercise his opt out clause?

8. windbag

April 4, 2012 at 1:55 am

Don’t forget that Savery is a legitimate offensive threat off the bench. He may give the Phils more flexibility if his spot in the batting order comes up and his pitch count isn’t too high.

April 4, 2012 at 6:46 am

I know Savery is a great story, but Raul Valdes clearly out-pitched him in S.T. Small sample is all you get in one month, but I’ll take this guy’s stats any day. 10 IP, 14k’s and 2 BB’s, 0.88WHIP, 1.32 ERA, and no home runs. Was he pitching against the other team’s “A” players most of the time? Probably not, but was Savery?

I hope to see Raul Valdes on the roster at some point this season. He’s not young, but has major league experience, and a put on a hell of a showing in S.T.

10. George

April 4, 2012 at 7:05 am

With Contreras and DeFratus scheduled to come of the DL very early in the season, I doubt that Savery sees much time with the ML squad. He may not even pitch. The same would be true had Valdes been chosen. Savery making the team is better PR, though, and in such circumstances, that may have outweighed any possible contribution either might make by not being on the mound.

• Ian Riccaboni

April 4, 2012 at 11:47 am

In regards to Valdes, that definitely may be true. Also, they may have had to expose Valdes to waivers whereas Savery has options and can be shuttled. May not have made a huge difference but something to think about.

As far as having a second lefty, though, I think Savery is here to stay, particularly with question marks surrounding Bastardo. I think Stutes may enter the season with a shorter leash because of injury concerns and he would be the one to head down or to the DL should the Big Truck or De Fratus come back and immediately head to Philly.

11. Chuck A.

April 4, 2012 at 7:16 am

These rosters to open the season are tough. There’s always at least 2 or 3 guys that deserve to make it for one or more reasons…and don’t. I agree that we’ll most likely see all of them up here at some point, either due to injury or if someone just isn’t cutting it.

I’m a little worried about Bastardo though. Someone mentioned last night that they were at last night’s game and that Bastardo hit 93 on the gun only once or so. Given that he’s the primary lefty out of the pen, that’s cause for some concern in my opinion. Good opportunity for Joe Savery here.

• brooks

April 4, 2012 at 7:46 am

Bastardo came in, allowed 1 hit, got 2 outs then – Herndon.
      Herndon quickly allowed a double (run scores, it was a hit and run) then a single (the other run scores). Herndon stays in for the next inning.

12. TheDipsy

April 4, 2012 at 7:22 am

I like to think that Pods would not opt out of his minor league contract. He is absolutely going to get called up at some point. He is just one injury in the outfield away from playing. I don’t think Pierre could have been optioned, which is probably a big part of him being on the opening day roster. You haven’t seen the last of the Podfather!

The Dipsy

13. betasigmadeltashag

April 4, 2012 at 9:17 am

I personaly put zero into ST numbers because it has it happens too much that some guy struggles through out ST or is on fire in ST and the oppostie happens the first month of the season. And a lot of the decisions made is not based on the numbers one it is too small a sample size and when they pay attention to when they play and their swing or how they make plays and work outs more then just the baseball numbers they put up in a month of games that have starters playing 3-4 innings.

• brooks

April 4, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I see your point Beta but I believe that ST is probably the best showcase for the young guns coming up. Although sent down, I bet Luna is one of the first called up and I would definitely put stock in the fact that Herndon stunk and Valdez rocked…

For the whiskered players, I see Chooch settling to a mendoza like steadiness and hopefully Junior coming to life some – OK, Wiggington, Nix and on an on…

April 4, 2012 at 10:29 am

Like most here, I’m happy to see that Savery made it. But I’m also baffled that they went with Orr over Luna.. Luna was not only way better in ST, but he’s a righty…

Now the bench is guaranteed to be all lefties if Mayberry and Wigginton start — a very real possibility (Thome, Nix, Pierre, Orr, Schneider). I don’t get it!

• schmenkman

April 4, 2012 at 10:34 am

I think Orr was picked for his better versatility.

Over the past 3 years, Luna’s games by position:

1B 46 in minors,
      2B 10 in minors, 1 in majors
      SS 1 in minors
      3B 221 in minors, 4 in majors

Orr’s games by position:

1B: 0
      2B: 48 in minors, 47 in majors
      SS: 93 in minors
      3B: 144 in minors, 7 in majors
      OF: 56 in minors, 2 in majors

Luna: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=luna–001hec
      Orr: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=orr—001pet

(Orr is the 19th inning closer — he pitched in 2 games in 2009)

• Manny

April 4, 2012 at 11:08 am

I agree that Orr is more versatile…but do you really think that outweighs the fact that Luna is a righty (who may run into one every now and then)? You need at least one RH pinch hitter pretty much every game….

• schmenkman

April 4, 2012 at 11:48 am

I’d like to have more, but what they have is this:

– Mayberry, when he’s not starting
        – Wigginton, when he’s not starting
        – Pierre has a reverse split, with a .410 OBP vs. LHPs the last two years (.406 the past 4)

If all three are already in the game, then you may have a problem, but I’m thinking that may not be that common.

• Manny

April 4, 2012 at 12:01 pm

At least one of Mayberry and Wigginton will start every day… at least till Howard returns. And Charlie has said that he’ll give Mayberry plenty of starts, hence my concern about not enough righties on the bench. Interesting note about Pierre, wasn’t aware of that. But if you have a guy on 3rd with 1 out, and need a RH bat… would you go to Pierre? The guy on 3rd can’t score on a bunt-single….

• schmenkman

April 4, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Suicide time!

More seriously, in that case you just want to put the ball in play, and (literally) no one strikes out less than Pierre.

• Manny

April 4, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I do love a good suicide

bunt.

15. Ian Riccaboni

April 4, 2012 at 11:06 am

It hurts my heart to see all the “Luna was robbed” comments. Orr is a legitimate option at all four infield spots and is probably the fastest guy on the team. Hits a lot of line drives and runs bases well. Wish he hit right handed but he was a good pick for this spot.

• George

April 4, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I agree. With all the injury risks in the Phils’ infield these days, and a lack of power in the lineup, versatility and speed, to me, outweigh the ability to hit right-handed. Manuel will just have to be creative with the starting lineup and, later, with pinch-hitters. At least he’s got an experienced glove to back up SS and 2b. Luna has spent very little time at either position.

16. "Big Ed" Delahanty

April 4, 2012 at 5:29 pm

While I understand Orr hustles and has a proven versatility, I would have preferred Luna over Orr and Pods over Pierre. Maybe Cholly saw something that I might have missed. I feel the roster they have for Opening Day, and whether or not they call up or demote players from it, in the end, must manufacture runs. That being said, I will take any line-up that accomplishes that task on a consistent basis. My main concern, and one echoed repeatedly throughout this blog, is the signing of Cole Hamels, as the Cain deal makes signing Cole even more of a priority than it was before. Go Phils!

17. Government Policy

July 23, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Generally I don’t read post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to try and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, quite nice post.