2012 Game Recaps

Phils Get Blown Out By D-Backs

PHOTO: AP

The Phillies are tough to watch right now. Don’t let the final score fool you, this was a blowout. The offense couldn’t get anything going until the ninth, the pitching seemed to be unraveling, and the defense has been suspect. They lost the game 9-5, and it seemed as though every facet of the game was a lost cause. Let’s start with the offense.

Offense

– The Phillies were dangerously close to getting shut out for the third time this year. Had they not scored that run in the ninth, they would’ve been shut out for the third time, or at a rate of once every 5.7 games. Last year, they were shut out once every 23.1 games. That stat is safe…for now.

– After getting shut out for eight innings, they exploded for five runs in the ninth, including two home runs–one by Shane Victorino and one by Carlos Ruiz.

– Over half of the Phillies hits were for extra bases–four doubles and two home runs to go alone with five singles.

Pitching

Kyle Kendrick had a wonderful line of 3.0 IP/11 H/7 R/7 ER/1 BB/1 K. The last time he gave up that man earned runs in so few innings was back in 2008. I wouldn’t expect him to repeat this performance, but it was truly a terrible outing.

David Herndon replaced Kendrick, and actually pitched pretty well. He gave up a homer run early, but pitched fairly well afterward. He was pulled once he loaded the bases with two outs in the sixth when Joe Savery relieved him.

– Speaking of Savery, he did his job when the Phillies needed him to get the last out of the sixth. Coming in a jam like that and doing  your job is always a good thing.

– After that out, Savery didn’t do all that well. He allowed a double to the first batter of the following inning, which, with the help of a passed by by Carlos Ruiz, led to a sacrifice fly.

– The sixteen hits the Phils gave up is the most hits they’ve given up since September 4 of last year. They gave up 16+ just twice last year.

Game Notes

– The game was extremely lopsided, but pretty short considering the amount of runs scored. The game ended less than three hours after the first pitch.

Angel Hernandez seriously needs to be relieved of his duties as a MLB umpire. In the first inning, he ruled a ball a home run when the ball hit the wall about halfway up. How he is allowed to be an umpire after all of his past errors is beyond me.

– In the ninth inning, Joe Paterson had the following line: 0 IP/5 H/5 R/5 ER, 21 pitches. He made Kyle Kendrick look good.

What’s next: The Phillies take on the D-Backs again tomorrow at 9:40 with Vance Worley taking the mound for the Phils and Josh Collmenter getting the start for the D-Backs.

Click to comment

1. bacardipr05

April 24, 2012 at 1:48 am

Didnt watch it but saw the update on the news…

2. Joey

April 24, 2012 at 2:32 am

Herndon pitched well. What game did you watch? He came in gave up a HR predictable. Then couldent get out of the next inning by loading the bases. Thats terrible for a relief pitcher.

3. brooks

April 24, 2012 at 3:47 am

I had to check it out. On MLB highlights I saw that Betsy Ross, now playing for the Red Sox, hit 2 home runs (they are calling them clutch) and he did not do the ‘skip’ like an 8 year old girl this time. I wonder if his team mates smacked her upside the head?
    She’s still wearing the red stockings though

4. Andrew

April 24, 2012 at 8:47 am

What’s with all the spelling/grammatical errors. At least three that I can count.

• Chuck A.

April 24, 2012 at 9:11 am

I didn’t realize that this was English Class.

• dan

April 24, 2012 at 9:50 am

Didn’t realize you had to be in English class to write coherently.

• brooks

April 24, 2012 at 9:16 am

drinking – why?

5. Dave Lerch

April 24, 2012 at 9:48 am

Kendrick stinks! The Phils are hard to watch right now that’s for sure, Back to Kendrick, I can’t believe this guy gets paid to pitch in the major leagues! Just demonstrates the lack of quality pitching in the league and the poor offense overall. If Kyle Kendrick can get you out, you stink! Right now the Phils flat out stink,but, the good news is so does the entire National League East. There will be opportunity to get back in the race and eventually win the division as a result of lousy competition.

• schmenkman

April 24, 2012 at 10:05 am

He had a vey good year last year.

• EricL

April 24, 2012 at 11:59 am

He had a very bad 2010 and 2008, and he outpitched his ERA estimators in 2011 by more than a run, buoyed by a .266 BABIP.

He’s not as bad as he was last night, but he’s not as good as he was in 2011 either.

• schmenkman

April 24, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Agreed. I just find Dave’s reaction surprising given Kendrick’s above average results last year.

• Jeff Dowder

April 24, 2012 at 10:05 am

I don’t think the rest of the division is as bad as you seem to think, Dave. Sooner or later, there’s a changing of the guard. This sure looks like the year.

• schmenkman

April 24, 2012 at 10:19 am

Way too early to say that, I think. July at the earliest.

• landshark

April 24, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Amen to that

6. Chuck A.

April 24, 2012 at 10:13 am

Dave Lerch – So I guess the Atlanta Braves stunk last year , along with a tough Marlins team in the early in the season and an always tough Toronto lineup and Colorado lineup ??

Included for your perusal is his 2011 Gamelog: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=kendrky01&t=p&year=2011

7. upandaway

April 24, 2012 at 11:15 am

I believe the spelling/grammatical errors being referred to were in the PN post itself…

• Chuck A.

April 24, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Who cares where they were. This is a freaking sports blog. It doesn’t have to be exactly perfect in its grammar and spelling and stuff. As long as I can read it and understand it I’m fine.

April 24, 2012 at 1:51 pm

grammar, spelling, and stuff.

No comma’s ?

(sound of Chuck’s head exploding)

• George

April 24, 2012 at 3:27 pm

You’ve misquoted Chuck here. He said grammar AND spelling AND stuff. The way he put it, with conjunctions between all the items, there is no need for commas.

I know I’m nit-picking, but isn’t complaining about Chuck’s use of punctuation nit-picking, too?

Phillies Nation does make a few errors, but they are not usually egregious ones. I do sometimes wish they did a little better editing-wise, but their notes have to be posted fairly quickly and I doubt there’s proofreaders on staff, so I can excuse the few mistakes. What I find annoying is an actual print article, advertisement, or press release that contains garbage grammar and garbage spelling. Print outlets DO have proofreaders, or at least are supposed to. A true example of garbage editing/proofreading would be almost any Yahoo news article. PN always does better than those clowns.

9. branderson925

April 24, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Gone are the days when grammar and punctuation mattered in the literary world.

Sports or non-sports, why should the subject matter depend on if proper grammar/punctuation/spelling should be used? I’m not a grammar nazi and I don’t go out of my way to correct people. It is just a bit irksome for a professional blog, the most followed one of one of the MLB’s currently most popular franchises, to contain as many errors as I’ve seen. Please note, I’ve never commented on this subject before but the previous commenter who pointed this out has merit. We’re not talking about literary expanses, just a few paragraphs. Would a bit of editing hurt?
    Jonathan, I’m mostly busting chops. I find your article to be sufficient. It’s clear, concise, and gets the point across. However, I do disagree about Herndon pitching well.
    GO PHILS

10. betasigmadeltashag

April 24, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I guess I should not talk about it since my directv screwed me and did not record the game. But from the highlights and the 7 earned runs leads me to believe the ball off of Pierre’s glove was ruled a hit. And I was a little tired when I saw the hightlights but I t hought there were a few other questionable defensesive lapses. And say what you want but you get that out in left and it makes it a different game. with this offense defense has to be perfect, and you are not getting that right now which to me is lack of focus and guys who should not be out there. Play defense score 2-3 runs and you would win more then you lose with this staff