Gameday: Nationals (25-17) vs. Phillies (21-22) – Phillies Nation
2012 Gameday

Gameday: Nationals (25-17) vs. Phillies (21-22)

Washington Nationals (25-17) at Philadelphia Phillies (21-22)

Jordan Zimmermann (2-4, 2.58) vs. Roy Halladay (4-3, 3.22)

Time: 7:05, Citizens Bank Park
TV: CSN
Weather: Showers, 69
Media: Twitter and Facebook

Injury news: Vance Worley is back from his trip to see Dr. James Andrews and the news stays the same for the Phillies righty. He has loose bodies in his elbow, so it’s likely he’ll try to pitch through the pain, a la Cole Hamels last season.

—————–

No Jimmy Rollins again for the Phillies. He’s been placed on paternity leave following the birth of his daughter, so Erik Kratz has been recalled from Triple-A Lehigh Valley to take his spot on the roster. Rollins should be back in a couple of days.

Jordan Zimmermann is the man the Phillies will be facing tonight. Have to hope for an opposite performance than that against Gio Gonzalez. The Phillies had him on the ropes a few times throughout, but as has been the case all year, they were unable to capitalize with men in scoring position. It’s been their knock all year. And it won’t be any easier with Zimmermann on the hill, either, although recently the 26-year-old has been touch and go.

The right-hander has faced the Phillies once this year, giving up three runs in six innings. In his last start, he allowed four runs in six innings in a loss to the Pirates. However, in four starts total this year, he’s allowed one run.

Roy Halladay looks to continue his string of nice outings. You’ll notice the 3.22 ERA, which stands out next to Halladay’s name. That’s basically a byproduct of the 8 run outing back on May 2 that inflated those digits. Since that shellacking by the Braves, Halladay has seven, seven, and eight innings, respectively, giving up no more than three earned runs in any of those starts. His strikeout stuff is back, too, as he’s fanned 21 in the last three outings.

Once again, expect a low-scoring, close game with two very good pitchers dueling.

Lineup: Pierre LF, Polanco 3B, Victorino CF, Pence RF, Ruiz C, Luna 1B, Galvis SS, Fontenot 2B, Halladay P

Your gameday beer: Victory Prima Pils

Prima Pils is a great beer for anytime of the year. It’s got a little bit of a bite on the end of it, which I like with my microbrew pilsners. Victory says it’s an herbal bite over layers of smooth malts. I’d say that’s accurate. Prima Pils is both refreshing and thirst-quenching for a beer. It’s a little heavier at 5.3%, so go easier on it. I’d have some pasta with chicken and a tall glass of this tonight. – Pat

GO PHILLIES!

Click to comment

1. Don M

May 22, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I think it’s great that with lineups like this- people complaining about us being a .500 team right now

2. TheDipsy

May 22, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Paternity leave? Thats totally g-a-y.

The Dipsy

3. chappdaddy

May 22, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Wow, two nights in a row and our pitchers are getting squeezed. Kendrick I understand but Roy.

4. Jeff Dowder

May 22, 2012 at 7:56 pm

There goes the low scoring, close game.

5. Don M

May 22, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Theres actual twitter hate for Rollins being out on maternity leave..,. Obviously from people that don’t have children of their own

6. TheDipsy

May 22, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Your team is in last place. You’re playing like sh1t. You just signed a big contract. But you have to take three days off to stare at your kid? No in laws? Unreal.

The Dipsy

7. TheDipsy

May 22, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Don – In my book, you forfeit your right to have “paternity leave” when you get to play baseball and make zillions of dollars a year. Its manlaw.

The Dipsy

8. TheDipsy

May 22, 2012 at 8:01 pm

And to top it all off – Roy is just not the same. He has lost about 3-4 miles off his fastball.

The Dipsy

9. DCmikey

May 22, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Did ruiz get hurt???

10. DCmikey

May 22, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Jimmy can use the time off. He needs to re group. If he was playing and playing poorly, u would still hate on him. Cmon people, grow up

11. TheDipsy

May 22, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Got thrown out for arguing balls and strikes.

The Dipsy

12. DCmikey

May 22, 2012 at 8:08 pm

2 on!!!!! And we get zero runs. AGAIN!!!!!!!

We need Howard. Hey, 130 rbi s is 130 RBI s.

13. Don M

May 22, 2012 at 8:10 pm

If you ever have a kid of your own in sure you’ll make edits to “your book”
    … There are reasons they added paternity and bereavement leaves to roster structures, becaus they should have the same benefits as all workers, entertainment or otherwise

14. DCmikey

May 22, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Thanks Dipsy.

In a class, following on my phone app. Score only

15. Phil-is

May 22, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Well….this is going down hill quicker than I thought.

16. new to the board

May 22, 2012 at 8:15 pm

thank god i got rid of my phillies package. what a waste. who could watch them. doc is also hurt. something is wrong with him. fire charlie, jr. get rid of lee, hamels,

jimmy can stay with his drew kid . gap

17. brooks

May 22, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Phillies – Washingtons bitch

18. TheDipsy

May 22, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Don – I have a kid. I know its important. Take a day and a half and miss one game. I have no problem with that. But a whole series? Thats bull. Do we live in France all of a sudden? Lets all take 16 weeks of vacation a year, oh never mind, Jimmy already does, and close work from noon to 2 everyday for naps. No wonder this country is in the sh!tter.

The Dipsy

• Don M

May 23, 2012 at 2:55 pm

People used to be able to smoke and drink in their offices too, but now it’s 2012… No problem with any player taking leave-time that they’re entitled too due to the birth of a child, and honestly coming from someone who said he has a child (or children) of his own- I’m shocked by your strong stance AGAINST Rollins spending time with his wife and newborn child

19. c schreiber

May 22, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I’m late getting to see game. What is this starting lineup??? Of the eight hitters 1 thru 8, we have 6 who are 1, 2 & 8 hitters normally. Jesus Christe, how are we going to score any or enough to win. Should have traded Doc to Boston when I suggested it earlier in year for Middlebrooks. Boston will never do it now, since everyone knows Doc is not the same and Middlebrooks is now up and playing great baseball to the point that Boston has Youk on trading block. This is going to be a sad season for me and the Phils. Let’s go Eagles, lets go.

20. brooks

May 22, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I was about to write how the Phils were going down quietly in the 8th and 9th but my comments were bleeped out – then Kratz hits a hr…

21. Dylan

May 22, 2012 at 9:30 pm

1- there are some things more important than baseball and having a child is one congrats jimmy! Hopefully now he can get his head on straight and get hitting
    2- i never thought id see a day where i wish pete orr was starting 2nd fontenot is poopy

22. brooks

May 22, 2012 at 9:42 pm

The air has come out of Pierre

23. "Big Ed" Delahanty

May 22, 2012 at 10:14 pm

So I arrive home from my master’s class, excited to see my Phils – hoping with Doc on the mound that they can restart another win streak. I honestly have no idea what the team can do right now. The next 20 games against top teams…yikes. I don’t think we can say it is still early, either. Are we the worst in average for RISP? We have to be. Just for the record, the pitch 45 feet into the left battery’s box that Pence swung at…I couldn’t hit to save my life, but I wouldn’t have swung at that! Good God!

24. "Big Ed" Delahanty

May 22, 2012 at 10:16 pm

*batter’s* goddamn iPhone!

25. Hollywood Beach Hotel

July 24, 2012 at 5:16 am

Helpful info. Lucky me I discovered your website unintentionally, and I’m shocked why this coincidence did not came about earlier! I bookmarked it.