Hits Parade Leads To Loserville – Phillies Nation
2012 Game Recaps

Hits Parade Leads To Loserville

Celebrating one of the four home runs hit off Joe Blanton.

When your team smacks 15 hits around you expect them to score some runs.  The Phillies did manage five runs tonight but left too many runners on base.  Starter Joe Blanton was tagged for six runs in four plus innings tonight and the offense actually tried to keep him in the game.

Boston and Philly traded runs back and forth with the Red Sox getting the best of our Phillies winning 7-5 to set up the rubber match tomorrow with Cliff Lee on the hill.

Wait our bullpen? – It is no secret that the Phillies bullpen has had its issues this season.  Tonight, to no avail, the bullpen actually stepped up and did its job.  Joe Blanton got into some trouble early and gave up six runs working into just the fifth inning before being pulled.  The bullpen came in and threw 4 2/3 innings of scoreless baseball.

Let there be hits – The Phillies mashed out 15 hits tonight.  Boston and Philly combined for 26 hits with four players collecting three hits each.  John Mayberry Jr., Shane Victorino and Hector Luna had three hits while Freddy Galvis hit his second home run in as many nights and had two RBIs.  He is now hitting .242 for the season.

Um, bring me my glove – The Phillies left 10 runners on base tonight, not to mention the couple ground-into-double plays that happened.  Yes, they erupted for 15 hits but many of them weren’t timely.  I know you must crawl before you walk but these guys are professionals and need to get the job done.

Its the little people – Luna made a big splash hitting a grand slam in his first at bat this season and he picked up another RBI tonight against Boston.  Luna now has five RBIs and Glavis has 19.  There has been argument about whether or not Jimmy Rollins should bat lead off.

Rollins has only seven RBIs and is batting .227 for the year.  Would he be better suited for the six hole and move Galvis up?  No of course not.  There is no argument here.  Galvis is seeing more opportunity to knock guys in from the eighth spot.  Obviously a lead off hitter will not have as many run scoring chances.  So let’s just leave it at that.

Brighter stars – Um, well Cliff Lee starts tomorrow.  Yeah!  Go Phillies!  Also, every other team in the NL East lost tonight.

Click to comment

1. bacardipr05

May 20, 2012 at 2:28 am

Well a lead off hitter typically wont have much chances of knocking in runs. However a lead of hitter is suppose to get on base and set the tone. Jimmy has not been doing that. I have to wonder how long Cholly is going to go with Pence as the clean up hitter. Even though Blanton got knocked around this game was still winnable. Especially since the bullpen held the fort down. Good thing the Phils got hits today.

2. Brooks

May 20, 2012 at 5:52 am

I agree – Jimmy’s production is key to the success of this team in the long run – if he is going to remain our leadoff which of course, until injury that is where Cholly is going to keep him.
    To date, the Phils have been fortunate that Pence has been hitting the ball well and that Ruiz has been in the zone but those things don’t last forever. Consistent play by our leadoff men, getting on base, making things happen – is what will make this club successful.
    When our big men come back, this tune could change slightly but it will always be the same – get the guys on base at the beginning of the lineup.
    Totally winnable game.

3. Chuck A.

May 20, 2012 at 6:26 am

Every single team in the NL East lost last night. A blown opportunity to pick up a game on everyone. And seeing Vic do that popup thing on the first pitch as he’s trying to be Babe Ruth is more than old now. I know what Charlie said afterwards, that it’s hard to give a guy a take sign if he’s actually hit well all night, but sometimes he just tries to do too much at once. Frustrating to say the least.

• Ryne Duren

May 20, 2012 at 12:12 pm

yea chuck! i almost through something at my tv when vic swung at the first pitch! specially when the pithcer wasn’t throwing anything near the plate on all the previous hitters. i really think that rollins and vic are two of the dumbest hitters we have. jimmy ? i’m just sick of complaining about him. why don’t these guys take chooch’s approach? can his be any better? my god chooch is unreal ! now chooch just goes to show what a smart hitter can do.

4. Dave

May 20, 2012 at 8:24 am

Manuel lost the game for the Phils by leaving Blanton in too long. Plain and simple.

• George

May 20, 2012 at 9:04 am

No, Blanton lost the game by sucking big time. His ERA for the game even before the fifth was somewhere in the neighborhood of 9.00, and he couldn’t even field last night. Say what you will about not pulling him, but I’ll point out that had gone to their extremely questionable ‘pen, they still would have needed more than five runs to win, because Boston already had that many.

5. TheDipsy

May 20, 2012 at 9:10 am

Look…..and I’m not saying Victorino lost the game but ARE YOU KIDDING ME! swinging at the first pitch with the bases loaded? Does Charlie give signs to hitters at certain times in the game…..like, uh, “TAKE”? Its a little thing…maybe. But an accumulation of those type of “little things” often leads to losing baseball. Don M…..

The Dipsy

6. TheDipsy

May 20, 2012 at 9:16 am

Gotta move Jimmy down and put Pierre up there. Its not like we have a set lineup anyway and I don’t know why Pierre has to be platooned since he hits LHP better than RHP. Give me the lineup card:

Pierre
    Polanco
    Shane
    Pence
    Chooch
    1B
    Rollins
    Galvis

Jimmy is not a good offensive player. Period. People say “As Jimmy goes so goes the Phillies”. Well, no sh!t Anytime your leadoff hitter is getting on base, for any team, in any league, chances are you’re scoring runs. A more accurate statement would be “As goes the top of the lineup, so goes the Phils” People wanna peg the success of the offense to Jimmy and just wait for him to come around. Lets not do that anymore.

The Dipsy

• Lefty

May 20, 2012 at 11:12 am

I completely endorse the thought that it’s not Jimmy that drives the Phils, it’s how well the top of the lineup gets on base.

But I can’t help but be curious my friend, as to why when I was calling for lineup changes three weeks ago, you were against the idea. If I remember correctly, and please forgive if I’m wrong, I said that Charlie needed to shake it up, and you said it would not matter. Now you seem to be supporting the same thing.

• chuck schreiber

May 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Rollins should be hiting 8th in that lineup. Freddy is hitting better than him.

7. Don M

May 20, 2012 at 9:39 am

Dip, I didn’t see the game yesterday , had a wedding .,,, how did the bases get loaded? Hits or walks?… If the pitcher was generally around the plate, then the smart play offensively is to look for a certain pitch in a certain spot … If he swung at a first pitch breaking ball with the bags full, thats not a good approach , but if he swung at a first ball fastball, in the spot he wanted then blame the execution, not the approach

I have no problem with hitters being aggressive in hitters counts, especially of the get Fastball… 0-0, 1-0, 2-1, 3-1… And I’d like to see more defensive swings from our guys when they have 2 strikes

There is a big difference between approach and execution, jimmy, Shane, and Mayberry have all had poor execution of hittable pitches but I think too many fans blame them for bein aggressive early in the count…. Again, not sure what the case last night was though?

8. betasigmadetlashag

May 20, 2012 at 9:58 am

I am sick and tired of selective picking on first pitch swinging, the other night Chooch did the same thing, and hit a double. It is one thing to swing at the first pitch out of the strike zone, vic was looking for a specific pitch and he got it he just missed it. He was was three for four and swinging the bat well, and I am pretty sure if you look up first pitch swings are hits more then .250 which is league batting average. It was a good pitch to hit he just missed it.

• Ryne Duren

May 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm

it was actually a lousey pitch! it hit the dirt in front of the plate! and it was a lousey swing! my point is i agree with you on first pitch swinging if it’s in your zone and is a pitch you’re waiting on or expecting. but to just swing at the first pitch because that’s what you want to do especially when the pitcher is not throwing strikes is really stupid on his part. it all comes down to being a smart hitter. vic is one example, rollins another. he struck out on a pitch way up and out of the stike zone earlier after watching a called strike right down the middle for strike one then swinging at a curve ball out and away for strike two. another example wiggy 3 pitch strike out on 3 pitches 2 of which were probably strikes! this happens far to much with a majority of these guys. they’re just not smart hitters! the brain wheels keeps saying that teams pitch them backwards! well if he’s right then why doesn’t the hitting guru or the hitting coach say something to them or fine them for doing dumb crap like that?

• Ryne Duren

May 20, 2012 at 12:41 pm

i meant 2 of which were probably balls! sorry i should read my comment before i post.

9. TheDipsy

May 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Lefty, you are right. I said it didn’t matter. I would tell you that after seeing three more weeks of Pierre and three more weeks of Rollins that the Phils would be better served making the switch. So, in all honesty, I have changed my mind and now I agree with you. How’s that for a flip flop %). @Don M – The previous batter walked on four pitches.

The Dipsy

10. "Big Ed" Delahanty

May 20, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Jimmy needs to be removed from the lead-off. I never thought I’d say this, but Juan Pierre needs to be hitting lead-off, as he deserves it, the guy is doing his job – hitting well and getting on base. The old man needs to stop kowtowing to J-bag and drop him to the second position until he starts getting in some kind of groove. Man, Rollins really irritates me anymore. I’m not sure if it’s his play, his big mouth or what, but he needs to put up or shut up. Sorry for the rant PN but I’m frustrated.

11. Dave

May 20, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Jimmy should have been moved down 3 years ago. But he will never move Jimmy down. He is loyal to a fault. Pence shouldn’t bat cleanup either.