Gameday: Pirates (38-33) vs. Phillies (34-40) – Phillies Nation
2012 Gameday

Gameday: Pirates (38-33) vs. Phillies (34-40)

Pittsburgh Pirates (38-33) vs. Philadelphia Phillies (34-40)

TIME: 7:05, Citizens Bank Park
TV:
CSN
Weather: 71, partly cloudy
Media: Twitter and Facebook

Chase Utley news! He is in Philadelphia today and will hang with the team until tomorrow, when he plays with Triple-A Lehigh Valley. He’ll then return to the Phillies, according to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com. No word yet if he will play with the Phillies on Wednesday, Thursday, or to start their upcoming road trip to Miami.

Brian Schneider hits the DL with an ankle sprain, Erik Kratz returns to the team, being recalled from Lehigh Valley.

Other than that, the Phillies pretty much need to win 3 of 4 here, or even all four against the Pirates, which is not an easy feat. They’re five games over-.500 and are doing well in a diluted NL Central. However, they have a guy that I would pretty much sell the house for in Andrew McCutchen. Can’t feel too bad about the Pirates – it’s good to see them succeeding and hopefully they sustain that. Just not this week against the Phillies.

Perhaps the imminent return of Chase Utley will re-energize the team. But I feel like we’ve tried that before.

Lineup: Rollins SS, Pierre LF, Pence RF, Ruiz C, Victorino CF, Polanco 3B, Wigginton 1B, Fontenot 2B, Blanton P

Whirlwind WitbierYour Gameday Beer– Woodchuck Summer Hard Cider

Woodchuck Summer Cider is the perfect refreshment on a warm summer day. Exhibiting a slight tartness, it begins with a full, robust flavor followed by a rich taste reminiscent of New England blueberries. Summer Cider is an excellent accompaniment to cheese, fruit, chocolate and cheesecake. Sign me up for all of that. We can drown our sorrows in a few of these and some rich food. -Pat Gallen

GO PHILLIES!

Click to comment

1. Jeff Dowder

June 25, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Upper level seats available on StubHub for $1.99. First level tickets for under $10. I’ll bet a lot of season tickets holders will be dropping out this winter.

2. ArizonaPhillies

June 25, 2012 at 6:28 pm

So when Utley gets back and the Phillies still can’t win, will we finally write this season off and try to reload for next year. I hope he comes back and plays well but will that change, for example, Mayberry striking out on 3 pitches with the tieing run on third and 1 out?

3. Psujoe

June 25, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Can anyone realistically see this team going 55-33 the rest of the way? That’s .625 with 1 good relief pitcher. It’s just not going to happen. RAJ needs to maximize the Phil’s return on some of these 1 year pieces.

• Ken Bland

June 25, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I’d say they have a shot. They do need some things to fall in place. You get Doc back, and pitching real well, it’s a helluva boost to the staff, taking a good deal of pressure off the pen. You can’t rush him back so much, but they need him back as soon as possible. A quality reliever would help, but it’s easier said than done. The defense has to somehow be better than it’s been. I don’t think they need massively improved timely hitting, despite the painful flaw that it’s been, but it has to pick up some. I don’t know that there’s a magic number, like upper 80s that’s been tossed around. They need to play around that pace, but if they can beat up on the division, a 55-33 mark might bring them closer to the top of the division than the 9 out right now seems doable. It’s not likely, but you asked about realistically, and I’d consider it within that realm. An opinion, for what it’s worth.

4. Andrew from Waldorf

June 25, 2012 at 7:33 pm

At least the Pirates are playing down to the phillies level!

I have to love Wheeler. The pirates are throwing the ball all over the park and have 3 errors. But its all because of agressive running by the fightin phils.

Looking good so far. Have the phils lost any games when they have had a lead early this year?

5. Tracey

June 25, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Yes, they have blown a big early lead many times this year. Sorry to be a downer, but them’s the facts.

6. Andrew from Waldorf

June 25, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I do love how the old man is commited to hitting Utley 3rd. Regardless of what level he is playing at.

Its just not going to work. This isnt the old days where he was a premier player and you stuck by him regardless.

Oh well. 4-0

They can win this!

7. Andrew from Waldorf

June 25, 2012 at 7:38 pm

🙂 At Tracey I know

But we got Cheeseburger Joe tonight!
    We can do this!

8. Tracey

June 25, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I never give up hope. But I also never give up fear…

9. Tracey

June 25, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I think they need a paintball gun, and they need to use it to shoot anybody who waves at the camera during an AB.

10. Tracey

June 25, 2012 at 7:55 pm

oof

11. Andrew from Waldorf

June 25, 2012 at 7:56 pm

@ Jeff
    The phillies FB page was showing a raffle and someone commented they chould raffle off season ticket refunds and I laughedout loud.

Dont worry about big Joes pitch count. He was seen at the 5 guys burger and fries in Camden New Jersey 2 hours before game time. Preparing for his start.
    He can go 140 pitches tonight.

• Jeff Dowder

June 25, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I know of two co-workers who purchased season tickets as an “investment” at the beginning of this run. They made a profit by flipping the seats on StubHub, especially in the post season. With the bottom dropping out of the aftermarket, I don’t see people like that renewing for 2013.

12. Tracey

June 25, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Whee! Polly wanna Ribbie!

13. "Big Ed" Delahanty

June 25, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Chooch!!! Guy is an animal and I love it! Gotta score as many runs as humanly possible with Sloppy Joe on the mound, and considering he already gave up a dinger. Go Phillies!

14. Tracey

June 25, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I bought partial season tickets for the first time in 2000. I asked a tax attorney friend of mine if I could write them off as a charitable expense.

15. Tracey

June 25, 2012 at 8:24 pm

WOW!!!!!

I didn’t think he had that kind of power in him!!!

16. Andrew from Waldorf

June 25, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Wow 5 run lead…..

i think they can hold on

Jimmy is against me in fantasy this week.
    He hates me so I expect this to be his best week of the season.

17. Tracey

June 25, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Yes, the players do this just to mess up your fantasy game. :^D

18. Brooks

June 25, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Bases loaded, no outs and we score on a gift – OK, a run is a run..

19. Tracey

June 25, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Any run you can walk away with… or something like that…

20. Tracey

June 25, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I think we have a pretty good chance of winning this one… :^D

21. Tracey

June 25, 2012 at 10:01 pm

HIGH HOPES!!!
    he has.. HIGH HOPES!!!

22. c schreiber

June 25, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Schmenkman, other than Luna’s grand slam, how many times (if any) has someone for us cleared the bases with a hit when they were loaded? I don’t remember any than again I’m old as dirt.

• schmenkman

June 26, 2012 at 7:08 am

Before Monday, they had come up with the bases loaded 64 times, and had the one slam, one triple, and 6 doubles (and 12 singles). Without digging further I don’t know how many of the doubles cleared the bases.

That gives them the best average in those situations (.328), 3rd highest slugging percentage (.508), and 3rd highest OPS (.852).