Mitch Williams: Phillies Won’t Re-sign Hamels – Phillies Nation
Analysis

Mitch Williams: Phillies Won’t Re-sign Hamels

Will Cole be back? (AP)

Since the season began, and perhaps even before that, former Phillies pitcher and current MLB Network analyst Mitch Williams has been steadfast with his belief that Cole Hamels will not return to Philadelphia next season.

In an interview with Tony Bruno and Harry Mayes on 97.5 the Fanatic this week, Williams said:

“I don’t see any chance of him being a Phillie after this year because of the amount of money he’s going to command.  Him being a California boy, the sale of the Dodgers going through – Stan Kastan and Magic did not pay 2 billion dollars to put a losing team on the field.  They are going to overpay Cole Hamels to get him there.”

Williams is clearly not wavering on the idea that the Dodgers will squire him, no matter the cost.

“I’m looking at Cole probably signing somewhere in the area of 140 million dollars.”

Are you as adamant that Cole will be a goner? And at what price? Below I’ve set up two polls to see what Phillies Nation thinks will happen.

[To listen to the interview with Mitch Williams, click here]

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment. Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Click to comment

1. Don M

June 1, 2012 at 10:15 am

I think Ken Rosenthal said the other day (on 97.5 ESPN) that Hamels deal would start at about 5/years- $120 M ….which was lower than I thought at this point. .

My stance all along was to offer him 5 years, and $1 M more per season than Cliff Lee makes – so either $125 or $130 ….offer him that deal today and I think he signs it … if you wait until the offseason, they WILL be outbid by Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, etc. . .

2. TheDipsy

June 1, 2012 at 10:39 am

Don – Hamels is worth more than 1m per year than Lee. He’s just as good a pitcher and he’s younger and he’s a lefty and Mitch is right, being a California boy, I think he would love to go back to Cali. My number is 7/175.

The Dipsy

• Slick

June 1, 2012 at 10:51 am

Dipsy: I have to disagree. Although he is a california boy, he wants to get back to the World Series. If the Phillies offer it, he will sign it. Cole is smart, he’s letting his pitching and the market dictate his value. He hasn’t jumped on any offers cause he knows his stock is going up. The dodgers, unless they sign 4-5 big names, are worthless to him. Money talks, but being the star of a scrib team means absolutely nothing to a top pitcher.

• EricL

June 1, 2012 at 12:13 pm

He might also look around and ask himself where the Phillies are going to be like halfway through his next contract, say in three years or so. The infield is looking very questionable, because there are basically no position players outside of Freddy Galvis and Domonic Brown that are of any renown. Maybe that will change in three years, but it’s a huge question mark if you’re looking to the future of this franchise.

• Keystone

June 1, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I assume you were calling them “scrubs”.
        Don’t the Dodgers have the best record in baseball right now?
        Don’t the Dodgers have the reigning Cy Young Award winner?
        Aren’t Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier on the team?
        Phillies need to sign Cole now!!!

3. TheDipsy

June 1, 2012 at 10:58 am

Uh….in case you haven’t noticed, the Dodgers are a better team than the Phillies.

The Dipsy

• Don M

June 1, 2012 at 11:17 am

The Dodgers are currently a team full of overachievers…. though injuries to Kemp (again) and Lilly will temper them a little

at the end of the season, I expect the Phillies to have a better record than LA

……….

I threw out that 7/$175 M like two weeks ago – but hearing what Rosenthal thinks is realistic, helps me think that the Phillies can still land him for something close to $130 M …… we shall see

4. Chuck A.

June 1, 2012 at 11:06 am

5/130 with a 6th year option/buyout. But do it NOW.

5. George

June 1, 2012 at 11:10 am

Mitch Williams’ thoughts are still opinion, or if you prefer, speculation. Just because Hamels is from California doesn’t mean he particularly wants to go back, and I really have doubts that he’d go anywhere for $140 million.

Of course, I’m speculating, too.

The Phils’ front office is generally pretty quiet about negotiations and might be working harder to extend Hamels than anyone realizes (the Cliff Lee signing wasn’t exactly publicized until it actually happened). I don’t think we’ll know until something is announced, whatever it might be, and by whatever team, and I’ll go no further than stating that Hamels will get a lot of money, probably too much money, wherever he lands. (Of course, he could possibly blow out his arm and get a pittance next year. I hope not, though.)

• schmenkman

June 1, 2012 at 11:32 am

The people I would go to for expert advice on these matters before Mitch Williams would sell out CBP.

• Manny

June 1, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Haha! My thoughts exactly.

• c schreiber

June 1, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Don’t think we need to throw numbers around about Cole’s contract as a report on Yahoo has Cole being offered to Boston for Will “Middlin” Middlebrooks and others not Youk. Must be Middlebrooks involved per P’s insider (wink, wink). You remember that name don’t you Schmenkman?

• schmenkman

June 1, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Yep, c s, as I said yesterday…

“c s – Middlebrooks is still looking very good. His mediocre minor league OBP stil makes me suspicious, but he has certainly hit MLB pitching well in his first month.”

• c schreiber

June 1, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Hopefully, he’ll be wearing a red hat that has a P on it soon as I don’t think the P’s can afford Hamels, Vic, Pence and an extension for Chooch between now & 2013 season.

• EricL

June 2, 2012 at 12:04 am

Phils don’t need an extension for Chooch. He’s under contract for next season and then you worry about it from there. You don’t re-up a 33 year old guy during a career year. You wait until the next year when he comes back to earth. And if he doesn’t come back to earth, then you decide if you want to keep him or let him test free agency.

Hamels won’t be traded because the Phillies won’t be out of contention, and you don’t trade your Ace pitcher when you’re in the middle of a pennant race. Also, I highly doubt Boston is going to move Middlebrooks.

6. Hank-SJ

June 1, 2012 at 11:12 am

It’s all up to Cole. He’s said in the past that winning is paramount. And with the looks of this offense as being middle of the pack for the foreseeable future, he may not like what he sees. And, just because the current Dodgers’ ownership group way overpaid for the club does not mean they will have the means to offer Hamels a mega-deal. An offshoot of the old adage, house rich and cash poor.

• EricL

June 1, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Dennis Knobler says they’re already making it known that they’re going to spend money: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/danny-knobler/19226329/with-money-to-spend-dodgers-will-seek-a-pitcher-and-a-hitter

• Manny

June 1, 2012 at 12:32 pm

They’ll have to settle for Greinke. Cause Hamels is our guy.

• Don M

June 1, 2012 at 12:41 pm

With Grienke’s problems battling anxiety… I think the chances that he goes anywhere big (NY, BOSTON) are slim . . . if you watch any Dodgers games you’ll see they aren’t well-attended (adimittedly, there is WAY more to do in and around LA, than here in Philly), so I don’t know if that’s too big a town for him?

If Grienke is comfortable with Midwestern living… I wonder if the Cubs go after him if he becomes a FA – they’ll have the money

• EricL

June 1, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I don’t think the Cubs go after any really big names. They’re not really close to contending, so I don’t know why they would bother wasting resources on a guy to “put them over the top” when they’re nowhere near the top right now. Better to save their bullets for a time when they’re much closer to being a good team, which might be in 2-5 years. I think Theo is smart enough to go this route, and part of the reason why they weren’t in on any of the big free agents this off-season.

7. TheDipsy

June 1, 2012 at 11:39 am

If Cole Hamels continues to have the year he is having he will get the richest contract for a pitcher in baseball history. When you get the Dodgers and Yankees and lord knows who else bidding each other up, its going to get crazy. I have been saying 7/175 for a good long time. I think he might even get 8 years. NO pitcher has ever hit the free agent market who has more going for him than Cole Hamels. 28, lefty, no injury history, and possible Cy Young if ge keeps going. Its just going to be crazy. There is 0 reason for him to take a contract from the Phils. None. If he wants to sign with the Phils, he can do it in the off season if he wants after everybody else has driven up the price.

The Dipsy

8. Marc

June 1, 2012 at 11:49 am

I think if the Phillies were gonna resign him, it’d be done by now. How many players, in their prime, ever reach free agency and resign with the team they’ve spent the last few year with? He’s as good as gone if he hits the market.

9. Dylan

June 1, 2012 at 12:00 pm

The dipsy: please dont forget hamels was injured for a short stint of time in 09 not to mention his world series flop in 2009. I do agree around the range of a 7-8 year deal

10. Chuck A.

June 1, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I don’t think he gets 8 years.

11. TheDipsy

June 1, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Never any arm trouble.

The Dipsy

• Roots

June 1, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Yeah. He never had any arm trouble, thus he never will have any arm trouble. Brilliant!

12. EricL

June 1, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I chuckled when I saw that 112 people in the poll think he’s going to be re-signed by the Phils prior to the off-season. I mean, I’d love for it to happen, but I don’t see any way he gets that close to free agency and then is just like, “nahhh.”

• Manny

June 1, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I’m pretty sure other players have done it. Matt Cain, who’s been a more durable pitcher (and thus should be less risk-averse) just did a couple months ago. Why wouldn’t Hamels? He’d be THE ace of a championship team in a town he loves. Also the highest paid overall. I hope the Phils are actively working to sign him before he hits FA.

• Don M

June 1, 2012 at 12:47 pm

as Eric pointed-out up in the threat … there is no doubt that Hamels will ask Where will the Phillies be halfway through this deal ??

For the same reason that people knocked the Nats when Werth signed there, a lot of us tried to point out that by 2013, the Nats looked like they could be a legit contender… turns out we may have sold them short by a year

(for some reason I see them trying to land Bourn or Vic to play CF- since they’ve been in the market for years for a leadoff-CF type).. Anyway, while it’s impossible to predict where any organization will be in a few years- teams like the Dodgers, with Kemp and Kershaw – and money to spend … would be very enticing to not only Hamels, but any free agents after him. .

• Chuck A.

June 1, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Maybe the poll should have read “Prior to the All-Star Break”…..I think that’s the magic date … Cause once you get to August and September what’s the point in not being a free agent?

June 1, 2012 at 1:02 pm

First, Bruno referred to Mitch as a “great” analyst. MLB Network has 10 that are better. Then Mitchee-poo said about Halladay’s injury- “I did mine (Lat issue) I actually went in and had it injected with cortisone, as long as they hit the spot, I pitched 3 days later- You’re dealing with a major muscle group, the labrum and you’re dealing with a joint. ”

Immediately, I stopped listening and have zero interest in anything else he has to say. Doctor WildThing, yeah right. How about throwing a surgical pitch to Joe Carter?

14. Chuck A.

June 1, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Ya know…I like Mitch Williams. He knows the game, he’s a Philly guy, I think he’s pretty credible. And I don’t have any residual animosity towards him for the Joe Carter walk-off. But I would love nothing more than for him to be proven wrong. These pundits and analysts know a lot….but they don’t know everything.

15. Jeff Dowder

June 1, 2012 at 1:56 pm

There’s very little chance of Hamels being in Philly next year. Williams didn’t say anything that outrageous.

June 1, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I am hopeful that something can be worked out, but have resigned myself to the fact that nothing will happen until after he receives whatever offers other teams will make in FA. I’m going to guess and say it’s highly likely he’s been made several offers by the Phils and turned them down, and that he has an offer on the table now.

I agree with others (here and elsewhere) that there is just no reason to get this close to FA, and not test the waters. But I am hopeful Hamels will give the Phillies a last chance to match.

17. Chuck A.

June 1, 2012 at 2:44 pm

He has said he likes it here and wants to stay. He has made this his home…even in the offseason. I would think he would want to give the Phillies every opportunity. That said, money talks, especially if there is a huge differential between what the Phillies offer and what Team X offers. Plus, I’m not too sure if the Phillies (Ruben?) haven’t somehow pissed off Hamels and/or his agent.

18. Jeff Dowder

June 1, 2012 at 4:51 pm

David Murphy gives a detailed look at this: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillies/An-updated-look-at-Cole-Hamels-free-market-worth.html

To me, the last paragraph illustrates the real problem.

19. Jeff Dowder

June 1, 2012 at 9:02 pm

RAJ on Hamels: “Our value [assessment] on Cole hasn’t changed. We’ve always thought he’s a valuable player. He’s one of the better left-handers in the game. … And we still want to sign him. He’s a priority, no question. But the biggest thing is all the other decisions we have to make, with the other potential free agents we have coming up — at third base [Placido Polanco), in center field (Shane Victorino], and at right field [Hunter Pence] and catcher [Ruiz] in two years. And we haven’t solved our left-field situation, either. We’ve got all those things to deal with. So we have to be deliberate. We have to make sure we take our time. It’s not just one decision. … We have to think about all those decisions, and how all the pieces fit together.”

• Lefty

June 1, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Jeff D thanks for both links.

20. Xyzzyx

June 3, 2012 at 10:38 am

Hamels will get his money and years no matter where he signs. He’s looking for a contender to play for and the Phils are in steep decline. The entire infield will have to be replaced during his contract: Polanco, Rollins, Utley, and even Ruiz, Halladay and Lee will all age out. Howard will be under contract but a useless slug and compromising the payroll. Plus the Phils would have to let Victorino and/or Pence walk to pay Hamels, further weakening the offense. There’s not a single player on the Phils current starting team Hamels can be sure of. He has no idea what kind of team he’ll be playing for in Philly as the farm system has nothing but pitching. No power at all. But L.A. (and others) looks very healthy 1-5 years out. Hamels doesn’t *want* to sign with the Phils. What free agent would want to sign with a club in free fall?

21. Dawn

July 8, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Cliff Lee went back to Texas and hated it!