2012 Game Recaps

Phillies Drop Opener to Jays

The Toronto Blue Jays bullpen pitched a five hitter against the Phillies tonight winning 3-0.  From what I saw, which wasn’t much, it wasn’t pretty.

The Good –

Vance Worley pitched seven innings allowing only one earned run and matched his longest outing of the season.  He struck out five and only gave up five hits.  Getting past the seventh inning has been some what of an adventure this season, one that Worley has yet to figure out.  Unfortunately he did take the loss (3-3) but his ERA (2.95) is under three and he has been throwing very well.

Since returning from the DL, Worley has only allowed four earned runs in his three starts.  The Phillies have lost all three of those games.

The Bad –

In the big scheme of things I guess it doesn’t really matter but Mike Fontenot’s error in the fourth inning would lead to two unearned runs for the Blue Jays.  If the Phillies had actually scored tonight it may have made a difference.  This was the Phillies 13th error in their last nine games.

The ugly –

The bad and ugly are interchangeable.  It all depends on how you look at it.  Carlos Ruiz left the game with they are calling a strained muscle on his left side.  Hopefully it is nothing serious and a day or two off will do the trick.

In other news –

Roy Halladay threw from flat ground today and will do so again on Sunday.  Chase Utley, Ryan Howard and Lance Nix all played a rehab game today and Howard went deep twice and had a double.  Utley played four innings at second base while Howard and Nix were merely offensive.

Click to comment

1. bacardipr05

June 16, 2012 at 12:24 am

I partially disagree with Fontenot error statement. A run one lead versus a 3 run lead, there is a huge psychological difference going on in the players mind. Especially a struggling team. It also changes the strategics involved as well. I dont recall him been so bad in this department. Could he just be rusty?

2. Bruce

June 16, 2012 at 12:30 am

Looking pass this loss tonight (and it’s one to forget), we can at least be encouraged by some news coming from Florida where Howard and Utley continues to rehab. What drew my attention is Utley’s fielding in an extended game for 4 innings. That tells me he feels confident enough about his knees to test his movement and range. That’s great! Howard may take a little more time before playing 1B but it’s certainly sounds good that he is swinging the bat well.

• Ken

June 16, 2012 at 10:44 am

Bruce how many more years are left on Utleys contract ? Im concerned this is a chronic condition that will inevitably flare up again. Im actually less concerned about Howards injury. I think it was a freakish thing. Utley has me VERY concerned going forward, even if he comes back and plays well this year. There is no telling what happens next year and beyond.

3. ShawnMac

June 16, 2012 at 6:40 am

How is it that the bench players in MLB are such spares? These guys are the best in the world but the non-starters are pathetic and right now the Phillies have a roster full of spares that are an embarrassment (Fontenot, Mayberry, Martinez, Schwimer, etc.).

4. Chuck A.

June 16, 2012 at 7:31 am

Watching that game was just what I needed since I haven’t been sleeping well lately…

5. "Big Ed" Delahanty

June 16, 2012 at 8:36 am

@Chuck A: Lmao.

Phils wasted a nice effort by the Vanamal. It seems when pitching is good, either hitting stinks, or fielding stinks, or some combo of both. The opposite it occurs when hitting is good. When all three converge we win – shame it is so rare that all three converge.

6. Jeff

June 16, 2012 at 8:50 am

The best thing I did was get rid of Comcast so I don’t have to
    Watch this garbage. I love you utley but your a nancy boy and
    Chooch is the most injured player in baseball outside of Polly.
    Suck it up btch.

June 16, 2012 at 8:53 am

I hate that stadium, it’s the ghost of Mitch Williams I think.

8. bacardipr05

June 16, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Well technically going into this year Scwimer wasnt really a ” spare” but a minor league prospect. Fontenot been doing ok with the bat, but has been making costly errors.