News

Phillies Lose Another Tough One, 4-3 to LA

Phillies lost to the Dodgers, 4-3.

WORLEY SHAKY

-In his first outing since May 11, Vance Worley was shaky. He allowed three runs in the first two innings before settling in for two more. After missing time with right elbow inflammation, Worley was held to a pitch count of roughly 75, according to Charlie Manuel. The Phillies held true to that as he finished the fourth inning, throwing 80 pitches. Final line: four innings, four hits, three runs, three walks, four strikeouts.

-At times, it looked like he was getting squeezed by home plate umpire DJ Reyburn. Fact is, Worley seemed a bit rusty. Couple that with the Dodgers ability to take pitches (2nd in the NL in walks going into Monday night) and it was quick night for the Vanimal.

-Velocity did not seem to be an issue for Worley. According to FanGraphs, his fastball has averaged a tick below 90 this year and for the most part, he hovered around 88-90 throughout the evening.

PHILS GET TO KERSHAW

-It’s never easy trying to hit off a lefty that throws 96 with wicked off-speed stuff. But, the Phillies were able to get to the reigning Cy Young winner, Clayton Kershaw, for three runs in the third inning. Placido Polanco hit his second homer of the season off the lefty and finished 2-for-4. On May 5, Polly was hitting .250 and had a .571 OPS. Now, he’s at .294 and .703, respectively. Kevin Youkilis, still?

-Jimmy Rollins has been struggling, but at least for one at-bat, we got to witness the Jimmy of old. In the fifth inning, Rollins roped a triple into the alley in left-center field off Kershaw. However, one batter later, Jimmy would get burned at the plate on a boneheaded baserunning mistake. I’m guessing it was a run-on-contact play with Plaicdo Polanco at the plate, which itself was an odd choice given there was one out. But I digress.

-After a pop up in the third inning, Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer tweeted that Jimmy is popping up to the infield at a ridiculous rate. Gelb’s tweet: Only Brendan Ryan (23.3%) has more batted balls go for infield pop ups than Jimmy Rollins (22.1%). Yikes.

-Hunter Pence just downright stinks right now with runners in scoring position. With the bases loaded and two outs in the seventh, he swung at two pitches, grounding out softly to second base on the second try. Rushing at-bats isn’t working, and hasn’tworked, this season for Pence. Yet he continues to do it. I’m no swing doctor, but slowing down might help. He’s now hitting .206 with RISP, good for 107th in the NL, using a minimum 25 plate appearances.

PEN NOT LEAKY…

-Kudos to Joe Savery who pitched 2 1/3 scoreless frames. The southpaw struck out the side in the sixth, the first time in his career he accomplished that feat. Antonio Bastardo came on after Savery to finish up the seventh and got through it without incident.

-Tony had some trouble in the eighth, loading the bases, but got James Loney to ground out to end the threat.

EXCEPT FOR PAPELBON

-Maybe this is why Jonathan Papelbon isn’t used in non-save situations. He gave up a triple to right-center off the bat of Dee Gordon, who flashed ridiculous speed. Elian Herrera then sent him home with a single to left one batter later to give the Phillies a 4-3 lead. In nine non-save situations, by my count, Papelbon has allowed six runs.

-After the game he laid into home plate umpire DJ Reyburn saying he “sucked.” That, and a whole lot more.

NOTES

-Bobby Abreu made his first trip back to Philadelphia since his trade in 2006. Pretty incredible, but true. Abreu heard a few boos and a few cheers from the CBP crowd – which was to be expected.

-Rain fell for much of the night, which I’m sure made this a fun game to play in. The wind also whipped throughout the night. Not a great June evening at the park.

-Dodgers Manager Don Mattingly was ejected for the third time this season. Here in the press box, it wasn’t certain as to why.

Click to comment

1. George

June 5, 2012 at 11:55 am

“Small ball” has been the rallying cry of fans this year, but when the team tries to be aggressive, running on contact, it’s called a bonehead play.

It’s possible that the Phils could have scored later if Rollins hadn’t been told to go. It’s also very likely that Pence, given his rate of knocking in RISP, that Rollins would have been left at third.

If Polanco’s grounder had been another foot or two left or right, Rollins would probably have scored, and the play would have been praised. Right now, though, the Phils only get bad breaks and a ton of criticism.

June 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm

The boneheaded play was Juan Samuel not sending Galvis to score with 2 outs while the Dodgers were bobbling a play. Can’t blame the kid, it was Samuel’s fault.

The umps were also a huge factor. 2 extra outs in the 1st that hurt Worley…and a missed strikeout call against Paps to the guy who ended up scoring the Dodger’s final run.

3. schmenkman

June 5, 2012 at 12:08 pm

After a career of popping up at about the league-average rate, Rollins is finally living up to his reputation among some fans. However he’s now also 10 for 27 (.370 avg, 1.037 OPS) in the last six games.

• Typical Fan

June 5, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Yea, but Freddy Galvis yada, yada, yada , and all his RBIs! But no, I don’t otherwise care about RBI- like how Ryan Howard always drives in a ton of them- anyone could lead the league like he has a bunch of times- I only care about RBI when I make arguements about how the Phillies are idiots, and could’ve had Galvis play SS

I wouldn’t have complained that his Avg, and OBP are lower than the struggling-Rollins… or that Rollins has 10 steals, compared to ZERO for Freddy… It’s all about the RBIs bro, again, except for Howard – then I don’t look at RBI at all

June 5, 2012 at 12:49 pm

IMO- They are really not playing that badly, considering the way the roster is constructed right now. They got to one of the league’s best pitchers. We got a great effort out of Savery, Pence actually made a nice defensive play.

But it just seems like the old adage “if it weren’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all”

I agree with Manny, that 2nd base ump screwed us, and with George that the run on contact play was a good idea that just didn’t work last night.

Polanco always makes the plays he didn’t last night, Samuel is usually a pretty solid 3B coach, but last night with Galvis he made the wrong call. I don’t know, it’s just seems like we’re not getting any breaks in these games.

The most frustrating/ depressing part for me is that we got to their ace a little bit but couldn’t win, and this game followed 2 other exasperating losses.

I wish the fans wouldn’t boo Jimmy when he pops up. I mean, he’s clearly not happy he keeps doing that, but hey if they can boo Mike Schmidt, they can boo anyone I guess.

And I don’t know what the deal is with “Cinco Ocho” and his mindset when not in a save situation, but this won’t do.

June 5, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Wow, we have to put more effort into this vote, this is a sham. Just released at 12:30

CATCHERS
    Yadier Molina, Cardinals: 1,100,048
    Buster Posey, Giants: 1,072,464
    Brian McCann, Braves: 707,508
    Carlos Ruiz, Phillies: 562,021
    Jonathan Lucroy, Brewers: 457,590

• EricL

June 5, 2012 at 1:24 pm

lol @ McCann and his completely mediocre line being in there: .248/.323/.416

6. Chuck A.

June 5, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I like Jimmy Rollins a lot but he deserves to be booed when he pops up like that all the time.

• EricL

June 5, 2012 at 1:28 pm

As shmenkman said, he’s actually producing pretty nicely right now:

.344/.344/.594, for an OPS of .938 over his last 7 games.

So booing him for his recent performance is pretty damn dumb.

7. EricL

June 5, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Pat, you had me until that Papelbon section. He actually has better career numbers when not in save situations. Also, using him there is completely standard in a home game.

• Pat Gallen

June 5, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I agree using him there, I’m saying maybe thats why Charlie doesn’t use him. No idea why he’s been off this year in those situations.

8. Chuck A.

June 5, 2012 at 3:19 pm

If I want to boo someone I will. As I said, I like Jimmy a lot, but he warrants a boo once in awhile. So I guess I’m “pretty damn dumb.”

• Lefty

June 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I would never say that.

I just don’t like hearing it on an ESPN national broadcast when the announcers make special mention of it. I don’t know, I just feel like it puts us in a bad light is all. You do have the right. I’ve done it too when he doesn’t get on because he doesn’t run one out, but not on a pop up.

9. Chuck A.

June 5, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I think Papelbon absolutely thrives when he has a lead to protect. …. regardless of his career numbers. Maybe, for some strange reason, this year ….with the Phillies….is different for him?? Different atmosphere, different park(s), different teammates, different manager, different fans….who the hell knows.