Utley Activated From DL; Martinez to Lehigh Valley – Phillies Nation
Analysis

Utley Activated From DL; Martinez to Lehigh Valley

Utley is back tonight. (AP)

UPDATE 3:10 pm: Utley is in the lineup batting third. Like old times.

——————-

Chase Utley is finally returning to the Phillies.

Tonight at 7:05, Utley will man his familiar position at second base, bat in his familiar position in the lineup (third), and hear that familiar roar when his name is called as he steps to the plate.

And in true Utley fashion, he’ll take it all in stride.

For Phillies fans, it has become a holiday of sorts. People gearing up to buy tickets, taking the trek to Lehigh Valley for his rehab appearance on Tuesday night – Utleymania will reach it’s fever pitch when he settles into the box in the bottom of the first.

Maybe he won’t be the same guy we’ve witnessed in the past, and maybe he won’t be the savior for this rather dreadful season. But what you can count on is an upgrade at second base, where the Phillies have posted some subpar numbers. Even with Freddy Galvis providing more than anyone could have imagined, the Phillies rank 12th out of 16 NL teams in average, 13th in OPS, and last in runs scored. Phillies second basemen have drawn just 10 walks. Utley will likely change all of that.

Many have asked me what we should expect from Utley upon his return. At first, it’s unlikely he’ll play everyday, although I foresee that changing quickly once he feels comfortable. At the plate, a .275 average with 10-12 home runs over the second half of the season is fair. Anything above that from Utley would be gravy.  It’s improbable that he’ll be a 30-homer, .330-average threat.

So temper expectations and in the early going, give him a reprieve if things don’t start smoothly. Utley is still finding himself at the plate and getting his timing down against major league pitching could take some time. Don’t assess him fully on 10 or 15 at-bats; it could take him a month to get his baseball legs going again.

Michael Martinez was sent down to Lehigh Valley as the corresponding move.

Click to comment

June 27, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Anyone else surprised they kept Fontenot and sent MM down? I am.

I’m glad, but surprised.

2. GM

June 27, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Happy, but surprised.

I actually expected both Martinez & Fontenot to stay & Luna to go to Lehigh Valley.

3. George

June 27, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I’m a little surprised, too, because Martinez can back up at SS; Fontenot has extremely limited experience there. It looks like the Phils aren’t going to let Rollins sit at all this year, and with the team’s injuries this year, hoping for Rollins to escape a two or three day tweak may not be such a good idea. He’s played with injuries before, which only made those injuries worse.

• schmenkman

June 27, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Fontenot has actually played more SS in the majors (although Martinez has played much more in the minors).

I also hope Rollins starts resting occassioinally. They must think Fontenot can fill in for a game here and there at least.

4. Dave P

June 27, 2012 at 3:15 pm

woooooo
    I wonder what kind of line up we can expect…

Exciting.

June 27, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Utley is in tonight’s lineup? Wow.

June 27, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I think Charlie said he’ll bat him 3rd. So expect: Rollins, Shane/Polanco, Utley, Chooch, Pence… etc

• Manny

June 27, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Scratch that…

Via PN twitter:
      RT @patgallen_pn: Utley’s back — Phillies lineup vs. PIT: Rollins, Pierre, Utley, Ruiz, Pence, Victorino, Wigginton, Fontenot (3B), Valdes.

7. Chuck A.

June 27, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Thank the good Lord that MiniMart was sent down.

8. bacardipr

June 27, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I have to actually say im not surprised about Martinez. Especially after the debacle when they had Mini Mart hit in the Rays game. My guess they will leave him down there for a bit and eventually call him up. Whilst i dont think he is a .270 MLB hitter maybe with some reps in the minors he can be a Mendozaish hitter. Fontenot and Luna wil be the subs for Rollins and Utley. It makes sense actually even with Fontenot limited experience at SS.

June 27, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Utley, Chooch, Pence and Shane…

Salivating at the potential…

• Dave P

June 27, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Valdes, Savery, Qualls…

10. "Big Ed" Delahanty

June 27, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Thank you! Thank you! For finally sending Mini Mart down. Maybe the obsession with keeping him up here is gone. I will take Fontenot over him in a heartbeat. Excited for tonight’s lineup, NOT excited that Valdez is pitching to start us off.

11. grismundo

June 27, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I think I’m more excited that Martinez was sent down than Utley coming back. Chase Utley in a wheelchair is better than Martinez. He should’ve been optioned to Single A.

• George

June 27, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Single A wouldn’t make him any better, I’m afraid.

12. BART SHART

June 27, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I hope Chase can contribute. I know he will give it his all. This team needs him in a big, big way. Fingers crossed and a prayer to St. Christopher. GO PHILS.

What a story it would be if Chase and the Phils caught fire and started to move up in the standings. Damn. I guess over-optimism or complete pessimism have been my curses for a long, long time. We will see.

13. cheap

July 5, 2012 at 7:19 am

This web-site can be a walk-through rather than the data you wished about it and didn’t know who ought to. Glimpse here, and you will undoubtedly discover it. cheap