2012 Gameday

Gameday: Giants (53-41) at Phillies (41-54)

San Francisco Giants (53-41) at Philadelphia Phillies (41-54)

Barry Zito (8-6, 3.75) vs Joe Blanton (8-8, 4.79)

Time: 1:35, Citizens Bank Park
TV: PHL 17
Weather: Partly Cloudy, 83
Media: Twitter and Facebook

Another game, another blown opportunity for the Phillies’ bullpen.  The Phillies must rebound and avoid the sweep today.  They’ll rely on Joe Blanton, who is facing his former Oakland teammate, Barry Zito.

With the Athletics in the early-2000s, Zito was one of the top pitchers in baseball.  He won the Cy Young Award in 2002.  Since he joined the Giants in 2007, Zito hasn’t been the same player.  He has failed to have an ERA under 4 every year, and has had seasons where his ERA was over five.  However, Zito has been a little better this season,  posting a 3.75 ERA.

Joe Blanton needs to build consistency.  He will either do extremely well, or have a couple bad innings where he can’t escape a jam.  He’s coming off a great start against the Dodgers, and he needs to carry that success into his next start, something he has struggled with all season.

LINEUP: Rollins SS, Victorino CF, Utley 2B, Howard 1B, Pence RF, Polanco 3B, Mayberry LF, Kratz C, Blanton P.

Brew Free! or Die IPAYour Gameday Beer – Anchor Steam Humming Ale
Anchor Steam is a San Franciscan beer, so the matchup is perfect for the series. You can even get some Anchor Steam at Citizens Bank Park if you search for it, although I doubt they’ll have their seasonal blend, Humming Ale. It’s a very bold, hoppy ale and is released between August and November. It’s also fairly new, having first been brewed a few years ago. It has a beautiful, bright golden color and as all Anchor Steam bevies, you’ll likely enjoy the hell out of it. So drink that while the Phils play the G-men. – By Pat

Click to comment

1. Cs

July 22, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Mayberry 0-4, 3 strike outs
    Phillies lose 7 to 3

2. Jeff

July 22, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Pen blows another one. No this one was on Cole and Fat slob Charlie. If Cole wants that money you cant give up 5 runs and a homer to a pitcher. Plus Charlie cant leave him in there to throw 119 pitches unless he knows he will be traded. Please do not give all that money for a pitcher or trade Lee away. This team has many holes.

3. DCmikey

July 22, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Phils win. How’s that for some positivity.

4. Andrew From Waldorf

July 22, 2012 at 2:00 pm

And Mccarthy says that will get a run in.

Of course its a double play by Pence and there is no run scored.
    Announcer fail

At least its funny at this point. I did laugh out loud at that.
    Like I did when Sherholtz hit his first ever career lead off homer.

Phils are good at letting other players accomplish career firsts.

On a positive note for now Utley is actually a good player.
    The problem will be he will wear down.

5. Andrew From Waldorf

July 22, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Laughed out loud at the fact that the outielders stand next to each other as the ball rattles around. I guess backing up a play hasnt been taught yet.

Mute the game. Although I like sarge

And play this on max volume.

6. Tracey

July 22, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Hmn… OK, with that HR I’ll forgive you for the blown backup in the field. Is it too much to ask that we can squeeze one win out of this series?

7. Andrew From Waldorf

July 22, 2012 at 3:02 pm

@ Tracey it would be nice but I wouldnt hold my breath.

There is a reasn the Giants are in first and the Phillies are in last.

The Giants do the little things to win games. Especialy close ones.

On another positive note. Johan Sanatana to the DL. The mets are in a free fall.

Would love to win my better record bet Phillies vs Mets.
    But of course I have the Phillies so…

8. Tracey

July 22, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Oh baby!!!!

9. Andrew From Waldorf

July 22, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Way to go Andy of Mayberry

Now fat joe is staying in the game.

10. Tracey

July 22, 2012 at 3:19 pm

@Andrew: as opposed to the Phillies, who keep doing little things to lose games. Bleh.

But it’s looking good now! The announcer was about to say that Mayberry had blown this thing wide open, then caught himself and realized it’s just a fragile 1-run lead. 🙂

11. Andrew From Waldorf

July 22, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Mccarthy is a little lost without his friend with the dead squirrel on top of his head ( Wheeler)

Also funny that sarge missed a trivia question about himself!

12. Tracey

July 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm

13. Andrew From Waldorf

July 22, 2012 at 3:35 pm

That lead lasted about 7 minutes.

The old man showing faith in fat joe.

14. TheDipsy

July 22, 2012 at 3:36 pm

What are ya gonna do now Chuck? No pitchers and you’re tied in the 8th. Hmmmm. I’ll take the G’s if anyone wants to bet.

The Dipsy

15. TheDipsy

July 22, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Thats wasn’t a cutter T-Slack.

The Dipsy

16. Tracey

July 22, 2012 at 3:38 pm

WHEW!!! I didn’t think Pency was going to get that. He usually doesn’t.

17. Tracey

July 22, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Aw, don’t pick on Fat Joe. He’s been doing pretty well in this game.

18. Andrew From Waldorf

July 22, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I swear I thought that Pence was going to drop that ball.
    So I could stroke out once and for all and be done with it.

@ Dipsy no bet. Will be fun to see how Chuck does mismanage it all though.

19. Andrew From Waldorf

July 22, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Ive always like Fat joe.

He knows his role and does it. Eat innings and be a 4th starter.

If the rest f the roster knew their roles and did them wouldnt be 15 back in July.

20. TheDipsy

July 22, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Fat Joe’s pitching well. Now he’s gone 8, he’s gotta come out, and its a tie game. Our bullpen vs. thiers. bad matchup.

The Dipsy

21. TheDipsy

July 22, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Its not Charlie’s fault. He can leaves Blanton in and he gives it up or he can give it to the bullpen and they can give it up. Name your poison.

The Dipsy

22. Andrew From Waldorf

July 22, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Never blame Charlie

the GM used 176,000,000.00$
    So that he can do exactly what you said.

I do blame charlie for some of the bad habits and attitudes of the hitters.

theres another DP

23. TheDipsy

July 22, 2012 at 3:46 pm

He held onto the ball because he’s a competent, workmanlike, efficient second baseman. Most of them can do that. Tough break though.

The Dipsy

24. TheDipsy

July 22, 2012 at 3:48 pm

AFW – respectfully – if we are to exchange banter during these last few innings – lets dispense with soapbox for a couple. Its me here. Thanx 🙂

The Dipsy

25. Andrew From Waldorf

July 22, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I havent made 1 comment about the first baseman today either.

Facing a lefty 4 times no less.

hasnt made conact yet.

I dont get it. I guess I just want to win too much.
    I can only think that some d not want to win.

They want to reward or do something to make the fans or players happy.

26. Andrew From Waldorf

July 22, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I cant help how I am.

27. Andrew From Waldorf

July 22, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Barry Z with the 7-1 K to walk ratio

Came in with a 6-5

28. Chuck A.

July 22, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Funny how everyone calls Blanton “Fat Joe” but I would be willing to bet that he’s in better shape than 99% of the posters on here…

29. Andrew From Waldorf

July 22, 2012 at 4:00 pm

@ chuck hes a professional athlete! I hope so.

And like Moyer used to be. These guys are my favorites.

I think the phils will win it here.

30. Andrew From Waldorf

July 22, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Well if it goes into extras the Phillies will be without Eric Kratzs bat in the line up.

But its easy to second guess.

31. Tracey

July 22, 2012 at 4:56 pm

32. Andrew From Waldorf

July 22, 2012 at 4:57 pm

KK is dealing!

33. Tracey

July 22, 2012 at 5:00 pm

OOF!!! I thought that was outta here…

34. Chuck A.

July 22, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I’m tellin ya….KK needs to stay in the pen. It’s a role he obviously embraces and he’s kind of a stabalizing force.

35. Tracey

July 22, 2012 at 5:05 pm

@Chuck: Agreed, and we definitely need the long relief available!

36. Chuck A.

July 22, 2012 at 5:07 pm

37. Andrew From Waldorf

July 22, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Winner winner chicken dinner

never in doubt

look out Nationals here come the Phillies!

18-29 at home!

38. Tracey

July 22, 2012 at 5:09 pm

WOO HOO!!!!

I’d sing High Hopes but… really I just have mediocre hopes at this point…

39. Andrew From Waldorf

July 22, 2012 at 5:10 pm

KK has versatility

another guy I dont think ive ever said a bad word about. Like blanton

Knows his role and does it. And is what he is.

The comeback begins.

And Jimmy is right will take winning 19-21 something like that to get back into it.

40. Chuck A.

July 22, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I don’t think they have it in them to go on a 19-2 run. Letting games like yesterday and the final game of the Dodgers series get away can’t happen to a playoff team. But who knows….I’m just enjoying baseball, rooting for my team, and not getting stressed out about it. Not worth it.

41. Ken Bland

July 22, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Well, my curiousity got perked, so I checked back on the alluded to ’07 Rox by a couple peeps.

They actually won 14 of 15 to close out the year. They won 21 of 22 including sweeps of the Phils and Dbacks in the playoffs before the Red Sox cooled them off.

They did play 6 road games in that stretch, which was all against NL West clubs (not an especially weak division that year as it has been a couple times since). So the way they play on the road at times, it’s definitely to their credit to have accumulated wins at that pace.

Matt Holliday was the driving force behind carrying the offense, racking up near a .450 OBP, and 1.200 OPS in September, including the win streak, and preceding games. Tulo was a spark, but not like a couple years later when he hit something like 13 homers in 20 games, or some ridiculous ratio.

What the similarity of that club is to the 2012 Phillies is not real clear until the Phils exert themselves in similar results.

But I’ll say this about the Phillies. One, to a man, I don’t think there’s a player on the roster that thinks the race is over. Who’s on that roster by week’s end might have something to do with how close the Phils might even come to a Rockie streak. Two, if the Phils do catch fire at home somehow, which for what it’s worth, there seems little indication will happen, but the Bank can be an electric place, and if you come to the park expecting to win, you can. Third, one of my first reactions when Uncle Selig introduced the 2nd wild card was oh, great, now they have completely watered down the champagne celebrations. But if the Phils get in, it’d be the most justified champagne overkill since the ’69 Mets.

Okay, enough hallucinating. Doc V The Crew Monday night, and let’s see if they can move to 6-4 since the break, and get some (more?) momo off it.

42. Ryne Duren

July 22, 2012 at 6:54 pm

i soooo glad they won! but not to seem negative it was just one win. they’re one game over .500 since the break. and with the trade deadline fast approaching and a decision on hamels looming i don’t see how they can be focussed enough to win many games in a row. then again stranger things happen! or should i say that the phils history is litered with wierd records good and bad so we’all stay tuned.

43. DCmikey

July 22, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Read the third post from the top.

• Ryne Duren

July 23, 2012 at 7:59 am

and your point IS what? mikey from DC!

44. air jordan 11 concord

July 29, 2012 at 1:07 am

I happen to be writing to let you be aware of of the outstanding encounter our daughter encountered reading through your site. She mastered a good number of things, most notably what it’s like to have an excellent helping style to have folks smoothly thoroughly grasp specific complex topics. You really exceeded our own expected results. I appreciate you for churning out the great, safe, revealing as well as cool thoughts on the topic to Lizeth. air jordan 11 concord