2012 Game Recaps

Phillies Hit All-Star Break Losing 10 of 11

Pridie? That kinda year for the Phillies (AP)

Brian McCann did the Phillies in once again as the Braves swept them with a 4-3 win on Sunday. The Phillies hit the All-Star break 13 games under-.500, ending the first half of what is shaping up to be one of the worst seasons in recent memory. They haven’t been 13 games out at the break since 1997.

As Matt Gelb pointed out via twitter, the Phillies didn’t lose number 50 last season until their 144th game. At that time, they were 94-50.

WORLEY GOES SIX

Vance Worley was hardly sharp, but did finish six innings, allowing three runs. He walked four, allowed seven hits, and fanned five. They need more from Worley. You have to wonder if this is as good as it gets for him right now, as he’s dealing with loose bodies in his pitching arm. That, plus, maybe the the opposition is starting to figure him out.

McCANN THE CRUSHING BLOW

-The Phillies cannot figure out Brian McCann. He hit another home run, giving him a bomb in each of the last four games. He also smacked his fifth homer in five games against the Phils this season. The home run came off of Raul Valdes.

PRIDIE STEPS IN

Shane Victorino was a late scratch and Jason Pridie stepped in, giving the Phillies their offense for the day. Pridie smacked a home run and a double, knocking in all three runs. Victorino was nowhere to be found.

Carlos Ruiz hits the break with a .350 average with two more hits on Sunday. Chooch really has been the lone bright spot this year, and he deserves to hear his name called in Kansas City this week at the All Star game. We’ll be rooting him on.

HITTING THE BREAK

-The Phillies are 14 games out in the National League East behind the Nationals. In the wild card, the Phillies find themselves 10 out.

-On June 1, the Phillies were 28-25, 2 1/2 games out in the division. Thirty-three games later, they’re 14 out and 13 under-.500. Not exactly how they planned it.

-On the other side of the break, the Phillies hit the road for six games; three in Colorado and three in Los Angeles.

Click to comment

1. Jeff Dowder

July 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm

As I asked last week, what would this team’s record be if they had Washington’s pitching staff (including their great bullpen)? They’d probably be right in the mix.

• Ken Bland

July 8, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I responded to your original question argreeing with you, citing the Nats similar team ERA to last years Phils as the main reason.

That was then.

This is now.

Even with the pitching staff throwing as well as the Nats, there’s no way you’re getting the same W-L results because of the Phillies defense. You can throw a lot of great pitches, but if the guys behind you don’t execute, it’s only going to win you so many games. Right in the mix sounds high. I dare you to ask again a week from now to give me a chance to bounce even more, but that’s my current answer.

That’s the difference. I don’t believe the Nats offense is that much better than the Phils that have made their first half a 15 game diferential.

2. TheDipsy

July 8, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Nice scoop Leslie Gudel! She was a looker back in the day. So Cole is as good as gone. Anybody know anything about Mike Olt?

The Dipsy

• George

July 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I didn’t get that impression at all about Hamels. Just because he’s thinking about something doesn’t mean he’ll do it, and I thought he expressed pretty clearly that he’s still considering everything.

The Rangers are probably going to hang onto Olt. He may be blocked at 3rd, but they may shift him to the outfield.

3. Red McNertney

July 8, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Time to sell. get rid of the smell. I cannot rid myself of the frustration, despite my excessive masturbation. Say goodbye to Hamels, Victorino, Pierre and Pence, Phillies Nation !!!

4. Stuart

July 8, 2012 at 7:09 pm

It was sad to be at the game and after 8 innings the Phillies are down by 1 run and at least 1/4 of the stadium gets up and leaves. Shows who the true fans really are. The ones who have stuck through it all even back when they were bad and are now under performing.

As for Cole I will be furious if they trade him. He is the youngest and one of the best players on the roster. You absolutely cannot trade him for people who MIGHT be good. As for Victorino, trade him and get prospects, trade Pence if they feel its necessary, but do not get rid of Cole. He has expressed he likes Philly and wants to be here, and I think he knows this team is still a good team just not playing how they should and next year will be a whole different scenario.

5. teejvee

July 8, 2012 at 8:05 pm

And what reason have they given any fans to stick around?

9th inning, middle of the lineup up.Howard -blown away in 4 pitches. Ruiz-blown away in 3 pitches. Pence- one pitch ..see ya.
    Compare that to the 35 pitch disaster that Papelbon puked up the other night against the bottom of the order.
    I contend that at season’s end, that game will have been the straw that ‘broke the camel’s back. They’re facing the toughest pitcher in the league and Hamels never pitches well in NY. Game had loss written all over it. But they score some runs and have a great chance to the game and win a series on the road and then…Papelbon happened.

• Stuart

July 8, 2012 at 11:17 pm

One reason to stick around is being a real fan. You paid for the ticket so why not stay and root on a team that you supposedly support. If you were on the team and fans started leaving thats demoralizing. I have played sports and the more people you have there the more energy you have because you feel like people actually support you. I dont know, as a true blue Phillie fan I dont think I could ever leave early. I would feel like I am bailing on the team. You guys act like the team wants to lose, I think they would love to win for the fans if they could.

• Chuck A.

July 8, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Agreed! I work hard for the money I spend on game tickets. I’ll be damned if I’m gonna leave early just because my team is losing. It gets back to my earlier comment (below) about just enjoying the game for what it is. And you’re right…the players are suffering through it…. they don’t leave the ballpark….so why shouldn’t we??

6. Chuck A.

July 8, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Charlie can say what he wants but I get the feeling that scratching Vic and inserting Pridie was an “audition” of sorts for Pridie. Ruben HAS to be thinking about all the “what-ifs” if he decides to trade Vic.

And I agree…do whatever it takes to keep Cole.

• George

July 9, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I got the impression that Victorino was depressed about his hitting, so Manuel gave him a day off.

July 8, 2012 at 8:18 pm

On September 12, 2011- the Phillies lost their 50th game.

@The Dipsy, – uncle.

8. Chuck A.

July 8, 2012 at 8:25 pm

My attitude for the second half: Enjoy the game for what it is. It’s entertainment, a pastime, something to do in the summer after a long day working or dealing with stuff at home. Win or lose, I just plan to enjoy it and not worry about the fact that they aren’t a very good team right now. No bandwagon-jumping for me. Anyone else???

• Ryne Duren

July 8, 2012 at 8:48 pm

yea chuck i got ya man! funny how it feels as though we went through a time warp doesn’t it? i was just reading an article on csn comcast sports and one of the commentors said something that brought a smile to my face. he said ” well with them stinkin like this pretty soon when theres nothing to do on a warm summer evening you say to your wife or a buddy hey lets go to the ballpark! bet we could get some choice seats! ” i smiled because growing up that’s what me and my friends would do! and when i met my wife when i found out she loved baseball… guess what ? we would get up and go to a game and buy tickets right at the park about 10-12 times a year! it was nice if they won but i just enjoyed the games and rooted for my fightens. i didn’t expect them to win but then along came carlton, schmidt, luzinski and it became different once they started to win. then these guys go and win the series put philly on the map and go to the series again, three more div titles! whew chuck i’m drained mentally and drained now from being spoilef the last 6-7 years. so maybe we can sit back now and just enjoy it for the rest of the season. but i’m gonna be gettin hugry to win soon!

9. TheDipsy

July 8, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Chuck – Vic totally popped off and Charlie benched him. What would anyone wanna audition Pridie? And if Vic goes, Pridie won’t be playing out there……how about, tah-dah – Dom Brown!!

The Dipsy

10. Scott

July 8, 2012 at 8:36 pm

at this point….who cares?

11. TheDipsy

July 8, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I’ll watch and not enjoy.

The Dipsy

12. EricL

July 8, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I might actually go to a few more games than I otherwise would have if this suckitude keeps up. The prices on Phils tickets are getting pretty reasonable for the first time in years! lol

13. Morris Buttermaker

July 8, 2012 at 8:47 pm

It’s my belief that history is a wheel. “Inconsistency is my very essence” -says the wheel- “Rise up on my spokes if you like, but don’t complain when you are cast back down into the depths. Good times pass away, but then so do the bad. Mutability is our tragedy, but it is also our hope. The worst of times, like the best, are always passing away”.

14. Chuck A.

July 8, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Morris – Well said. Very nicely done.

Dipsy – Dom who??

15. LCMRSalazar85

July 8, 2012 at 9:17 pm

At this point, what do we have in the minors that could step up and help this team improve? None that aren’t ML ready. In addition, Utley’s still working out the kinks, we don’t know if Howard can be effective or not after 2 games, and we’re pinning a lot of hopes on Doc when he comes back. The bullpen sucks, and can’t hold any lead. Cliff Lee’s been figured out by everyone. If we don’t make any moves at the deadline, this season’s not just down the tubes, but X number could be. I don’t know if we can keep Cole given the current state of this team. I’d hate to see Victorino go too, but we need a number of improvements – 3B, a catcher to become the heir apparent to Ruiz, 2B, & LF. RAJ’s time of benefiting from Gillick’s moves has run out. The management has got to prove they’ve got the intestinal fortitude to act like a AL East team, and not what they’ve been prior to 2006 when we good enough to develop players & trade them for junk and/or prospects.

• George

July 9, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Please list the Gillick moves that Amaro benefited from. Was it the Garcia trade? The Adam Eaton and Geoff Jenkins signings? Extending injury prone Lidge for three years, one of which was worse than bad?

I’d say Amaro benefited more from having a core of players put in place by Ed Wade, and even then it was Amaro who had to go out and find pitching staffs. Pedro Martinez, Roy Oswalt, Roy Halladay, and Cliff Lee (twice) were not Gillick’s doing, and I don’t think the team would have made it to the postseason so many times since Gillick without those Amaro moves.

• EricL

July 9, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Amaro benefited massively from Gillick’s successful pushing of this team over the top. The sellout streak only started in 2009, the season after the WS win. Without guys like Joe Blanton, Jamie Moyer, Jayson Werth, and, yes, the 2008 version of Brad Lidge this team doesn’t experience the level of success it does in 2006-2008. And without that level of success, namely the World Series winning team, Ruben never has the ability to increase the payroll by something like 75% since Gillick stepped aside. And without that financial flexibility he can’t re-sign guys like Cliff Lee or deal for expensive players like Halladay and Pence (and even then the Pence trade was an abomination).

Further, Gillick left this team with a minor league system that was chock full of high-level, close to major league ready talent. It’s now basically barren. Sometimes it’s not the moves you make, but the moves you DONT make that are important, like when Ed Wade had the opportunity to deal a young Chase Utley, Ryan Madson and Michael Bourn for an in-his-prime Barry Zito. That was an amazing non-move, but basically the opposite of what Amaro has done. Most of Gillick’s moves were marginal ones; low-risk, moderate-reward type deals. He added relatively cheap players here and there, good role players who complimented the team well, not the well-known, household names that Amaro has spent heavily for.

They were two completely different philosophies for two completely different teams, so it’s hard to make direct comparisons, but to say that Amaro hasn’t massively benefited from Gillick’s stewardship of the franchise is farcical.

16. brooks

July 8, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I’d like to hear more from our esteemed hosts on this blog regarding what is the matter with the Phils and what can be done to put them back on the right track.

Pat? Anything in the works?

17. TheDipsy

July 8, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Shane goes. Dom Brown moves to center. Gotta find out bout him. 1/2 season of pressure free baseball for the Dom. Then we’ll know.

The Dipsy

• brooks

July 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I’m not sure what else there is to find out Dipsy – I mean, stink is stink brother and Dom stunk.

• psujoe

July 8, 2012 at 9:54 pm

see Dom get a shot, but he’s always injured.

• Stuart

July 8, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Got to see him live and in person since I intern with a team in Syracuse and Lehigh played them. He was in center, and he looked good. Had a few good hits, and he patrolled center very very well. A few great running catches and a great diving catch. He looked like he was ready to play center at the next level

18. psujoe

July 8, 2012 at 9:36 pm

GMs do a lot of talking this week so hopefully we see players we don’t expect back traded for the best possibe return. Olt most likely will not be traded according to ercent reports. Phils must keep Hamels. 6/$148 6×23 10 million buyout in year 7 gets it done.

19. TheDipsy

July 8, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Disagree Joe. 6y150m. Maybe. Hits FA – 7/175.

The Dipsy

20. Andrew From Waldorf

July 8, 2012 at 10:35 pm

14 games out at the all star break.
    With a 176 million payroll?
    And no one is getting fired?

Anyway drove past the stadium today and the upper deck looked empty.

Are they still pretending to have a sell out streak?

I did win some money last ngiht at Yonkers and today at Chester though!

Come home with no idea of sat and sundays scores and of course both were losses.
    As if it could be any other way.

But to chucks point just going to enjoy this.
    Until Ruben Minaya is gone this is unfiixable he is not a decent enough GM to fix this mess.

21. Chuck A.

July 8, 2012 at 11:10 pm

6/150 is that much different than 6/148 ???

22. TheDipsy

July 9, 2012 at 7:02 am

You’re right….no. But 6 x 23 =138. The math threw me off.

The Dipsy

23. Chuck A.

July 9, 2012 at 7:53 am

Oh, yeah. $12M is a big difference. I think Cole HAS to be offered the same dollars per year as Cliff but it’s the years that’s gonna be the sticking point.

24. Chris

July 9, 2012 at 8:40 am

Thank goodness Chase and Ryan are back. They have really helped us turn things around.

• c schreiber

July 9, 2012 at 2:58 pm

LOL. I wish I could remember who & how many of you regular posters couldn’t wait for Chase and the “Big Piece” to return “than the P’s will be in the hunt” LOL Right. Blow it up.

• schmenkman

July 9, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Nah, that would be pretty dumb.

• EricL

July 9, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Just like everything else in his comment.

Is there really anyone who thought this team wouldn’t be better with Chase Utley in the lineup rather than Pete Orr, Michael Martinez and Fontenot? Or anyone who thought that Ty Wigginton and JMJ were going to produce like Ryan Howard could?

The position that the Phillies would hang around and then be poised to make a run when their star players returned wasn’t exactly illogical. Coming out of spring training this was basically the same team that won 102 games last season, so to think that they were going to be well below .500 would have been silly. But, hey, its baseball and sometimes unlucky things happen (injuries, bad bounces, poor fielding, etc.).

But, yeah, the blowing it up sentiment is ridiculous, especially with a TV contract up for renewal in a couple years. You don’t go into a rebuilding phase when you’re on the verge of inking a multi-billion dollar television deal that’s contingent upon maintaining your good ratings.