Valle Promoted to ‘Pigs, Brown in 2013 OF

Valle has been promoted to Triple-A Lehigh Valley. Photo by Ian Riccaboni

According to Matt Gelb, catcher Sebastian Valle has been promoted to Triple-A Lehigh Valley. Valle, 22, was an Eastern League All-Star this year for Reading, hitting .261/.281/.438. Valle has struggled with plate discipline, walking at a low 3.8% and striking out 25.5% of the time, but has seemed to recouped some of the power (13 HR, 13 2B in 2012) he displayed in 2010 (16 HR, 28 2B for Lakewood). Tommy Joseph, acquired in the Hunter Pence deal, will start every day for Reading.

In a corresponding move, Michael LoRe of the ExpressTimes is reporting that Tuffy Gosewisch of the IronPigs has been sold to Toronto to make room for Valle and to create space for Erik Kratz, who will be bumped to Triple-A with the return of Brian Schneider.

In a corresponding but separate Tweet, Gelb reported that Ruben Amaro Jr. stated that Domonic Brown will be in the Phillies outfield for 2013. Brown is expected to play each of the three outfield positions and will receive everyday playing time in 2013. Brown was originally penciled in tonight’s line-up but is a scratch due to a delayed flight.

Click to comment

1. TheDipsy

July 31, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Ruben Amaro. What an effin genius. What do you have a crystal ball. Never mind giving Brown the outlandish idea that he might have to actually EARN a spot in the outfield. I’m really losin it with Ruben. There is just no reason to make that kind of statement even if you believe it. No reason.

The Dipsy

• George

July 31, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I have to agree. Even if he is going to be in the outfield, it gives the wrong impression that no work is required.

I wonder if he’ll change his tune if Brown sucks, gets injured, or is totally outplayed by someone else in the spring. I seem to recall he said before this season that Brown would spend the entire year at Lehigh Valley.

No matter how you rate Amaro’s roster moves, there’s no denying that he has his foot in his mouth almost constantly.

• George

August 1, 2012 at 8:07 am

From what I read today, Amaro DID NOT GUARANTEE a spot for Brown.

That still doesn’t change my feeling that he sticks his foot in his mouth too often.

• george mchenry

August 1, 2012 at 9:26 am

It’s time for brown to show his worth to the organization that has invested a lot of time ,money and baseball training waiting for him to mature into the player we all hope he becomes.

• schmenkman

August 1, 2012 at 10:25 am

@george m — that’s kind of a ridiculous statement to make. What about Tuffy Gosewich (traded yesterday), or Derrick Mitchell (at Lehigh Valley), who were both drafted before Brown? Were you demanding that they too produce something for the investment the Phillies have made?

FYI, there were 298 position players drafted before Dom Brown in 2006. Of those 298, a grand total of 20 have more major league at bats than Brown does. If he contributes anything at all, even as a 4th outfielder, or is traded for a relief pitcher or a utilitiy infielder, he will have been a huge bargain.

• schmenkman

July 31, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I don’t have a problem with Amaro’s statement.

Is he going to work harder if he’s competing for a spot, or if he knows it’s all on his shoulders? And whatever the answer to that question is, in which situation will he play better — if he knows he has the job and can focus on it, or if he has the added pressure of competing for a job? And, by the way, who would he compete with? Mayberry? Schierholtz? Nix?

He is being called up a month early. Understandable after trading away 2/3 of the starting outfield.

• The Original Chuck P

August 1, 2012 at 11:17 am

Well, the “You and John Mayberry Jr are competing for a spot” approach hasn’t worked so, yes, I think it’s time to let your best prospect have the job without worrying about looking over his shoulder.

Eric Hosmer is struggling this year… he was compared to Joey Votto. The Royals haven’t given up on Hosmer, as they shouldn’t. Jason Heyward… Giancarlo Stanton (might want to change his name back to Mike)… the list goes on and one. Young players struggle – it’s an adjustment that players go through and the organization has to commit to let them go through it. I don’t see any other way around it. Mike Trout hit .220 in his first 120 major league AB’s last year… he’s leading the way on most MVP ballots this year. Give the kid a chance to work through his struggles. It’s not like he played God awful while he was up…

July 31, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I do not have an iota of confidence in Ruben Amaro, Jr. I still fume about the timing and length of Ryan Howards contract, giving him a bonanza with two years left on his then current deal. We are stuck with Howard until 2017.. And, why did we wait ’till the last minute to sign Cole Hamels when we could have done so two years ago and saved a bucket of money? AMARO CANNOT BE TRUSTED WITH FINANCES. I hope he gets fired, except, knowing the Phils, they might bring back Ed Wade. A least management under Amaro is not lazy. They may be reckless, but not lazy.

Personally, I wish Victorino and Pence all the best. I will miss them both.

3. Jeff

July 31, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Hey Dip shit. shut up you piece of dip shit

4. TheDipsy

July 31, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Hey Jeff! Got your hands out of your pants long enough to use a keyboard! Atta guy.

The Dipsy

5. Alex

July 31, 2012 at 6:59 pm

This just proves the RAJ had nothing to do with the championship we won. We won’t win another as long as he’s in charge.

6. Cs

July 31, 2012 at 7:04 pm

You guys are all acting retarded. Grow up. D.Brown is up and it’s sink or swim time. Laynce Nix is hete next year and will have to preform to. Juan is a quality OBP guy and earned another year here. Last, Valle is our second catcher next year and we have replace alot of MiLB depth today. It hurts but we were out and it had to be done.

I have faith to that this allowed us money to buy 3rd base and such in the winter. We can replace Joe with AAA talent and save alot of money to.

• Ken Bland

July 31, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I saw the word retarded, and was drawn to the conversation.

But seriously, you seem to be conveying hope that this is a 1 year turnaround.

The problem I see with forecasting that (if you are) is even if you get suitable players at needed positions, you’re aging in other core spots. And the intra division competition seems pretty good.

I’ll root for it, but I think a tough challenge lies ahead. If I had to guess (had to, mind you), I’d guess guys like Chase, Doc, Cliff, RyHo have probably played their last playoff games in Phillie unis.

But, ya gotta keep plugging, so no point attaching to a fearful negative outlook. But that’s my view.

• Ryne Duren

July 31, 2012 at 10:54 pm

i think it will take 2 yrs to be back fully and contend seriously.

7. TheDipsy

July 31, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Juan Pierre aint gonna be here next year, homey. He’s playing on a one year deal.

The Dipsy

8. Ben

July 31, 2012 at 7:20 pm

It’s ridiculous of you guys to criticize Amaro for saying Brown will be in the 2013 outfield.

Clearly this kid needs confidence. The front office has never shown much in him to this point and that’s probably really messed with him. Would you rather Amaro say “yeah we’ll put Brown out there but the first time he effs up he’s going to the minors for the rest of his career.”

Besides, just because Amaro says this now doesn’t mean it’s permanent. People say things all the time. You really think that if Brown hits .100 the rest of this year and into next season that Amaro’s gonna leave him out there because he said he would? Heck no, this is nothing more than trying to give a kid a vote of confidence.

• George

July 31, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Never shown much confidence in Brown? Give me a break. They refused to trade him more than once and kept him on the roster the first time he was up, even though he probably should have been at AAA. They gave him a long look in 2011.

And if Amaro’s statement has nothing to do with permanence, then why bother to say it? It only makes him look stupid if Brown really can’t cut it after this so-called “vote of confidence,” and would hurt the kid’s confidence even more.

Also, your statement, “Would you rather Amaro say “yeah we’ll put Brown out there but the first time he effs up he’s going to the minors for the rest of his career.” is totally going to an opposite and ridiculous extreme, and wouldn’t be said by anybody.

Schmenkman raised some valid arguments. As far as I’m concerned, you have raised only nonsense.

9. brooks

July 31, 2012 at 7:32 pm

No game day post, I suppose some are in mourning.
    All the commotion about Down Town Dominic Brown – sure, he could have hit the league average but its like being happy that Ryan Howard hit .300 in the playoffs, regardless of 0 rbi.
    D Brown did nothing with men in scoring position… chance after chance after chance – he could not produce.

• schmenkman

July 31, 2012 at 8:23 pm

You’re seriously going to draw conclusions from 62 at bats?

You must know that 1) those stats fluctuate wildly, since sample sizes are small, and 2) for the vast majority of players, while RISP stats may go up and down from one year to the next, over several years they wind up looking pretty much like their overall stats.

• Brooks

July 31, 2012 at 9:39 pm

D Brown had 3 times as many atbats in 2011 as he did in 2010.
        Like I said, I watched him, I too believed in him and honestly, I hope I am wrong about him. He will have to start showing some signs of life when there are runners in scoring position.

• The Original Chuck P

August 1, 2012 at 11:23 am

Dom Brown had 14 RBI with RISP (in 56 AB) and a .213 babip. Pence has 40 RBI this year in 126 AB with RISP with a .260 babip.

• Artyom

October 11, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Amy- You know, I hadn’t thought of it that way, but you’re so right. They’re even kinda like the three of us Noelle Yep, these are all from my fidels two of the less successful ones, sadly. They are good to munch, though; the kids are always bringing ears back to the galle to roast (i.e., char) on coals.Left by clare on October 5th, 2005

10. psujoe

July 31, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Frandsen is our 3b! Two run dinger off Strasburgh. Love the new team, LOL.

11. brooks

July 31, 2012 at 7:35 pm

This is almost humorous. The new kid hits a 2 run home run when his older, more experienced counterparts could not even put wood on the ball to move him over.

• Jeff Dowder

July 31, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I guess he’s young compared to Polanco, but the “new kid” is 30 years old…

• psujoe

July 31, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I was surprised. Frandsen was hitting over .300 for his last 670 ABs over 2 years. Pretty good AAA numbers.

12. psujoe

July 31, 2012 at 7:36 pm

mlbs website plugged Joseph in as the Phils #4 prospect and Ethan Martin at #6.

13. jeff

July 31, 2012 at 7:48 pm

actually hands are down your wifes pants

14. Morris Buttermaker

July 31, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I wouldn’t mind having Tom McCarthy play left field next year. He might suck, but I would not have to listen to his bumbling idiot routine for 3 hours each night.

15. brooks

July 31, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Hear it for Juan Pierre –

16. brooks

July 31, 2012 at 7:58 pm

And here goes Lee….

17. Cs

July 31, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I don’t see why we don’t keep Juan next year. He’s speed, vet presence and talent.

18. brooks

July 31, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Nobody on base and Junior with a nice double

19. Tracey

July 31, 2012 at 8:17 pm

No gameday post tonight, so I’ll just say here: WOW!!! I don’t think I’ve seen an inside-the-park home run live before! Amazing!!!!

20. brooks

July 31, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Amazing.. the Golden Boy has never given up more than 4 runs in a game so nobody has seen that either. I’d say Cliffy might be getting his chi back? Hit, rbi, sb?

21. brooks

July 31, 2012 at 8:21 pm

And with a 6 run lead, maybe the Phils can hold it?? Maybe?

22. Tracey

July 31, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I’m kind of in disbelief. Where was this pep the last few months?

23. brooks

July 31, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Wait a minute – MLB is telling me that Cliffy’s velocity is up to 93? That, if I recall is prime beef for him.

24. brooks

July 31, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I cannot believe Davey Johnson is leaving the Golden Boy out there

25. brooks

July 31, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Tell me that wasn’t odd – Strasburg bats in the bottom of the 4th and is replaced in the 5th. OK then

• hk

August 1, 2012 at 7:04 am

I’m a little late to reply, but….Strasburg is hitting .333/.405/.545, so Davey Johnson probably didn’t want to waste a PH so early in the game, even though he knew he was taking Strasburg out.

26. Brooks

July 31, 2012 at 8:46 pm

In rereading your post Ian, I see that when Schneider comes back, Kratz will go down. That makes absolutely no sense what so ever. Kratz has 3 hrs in 19 official atbats, Schnides 2 hrs in 69 official at bats. The average is not to be compared (only 19 at bats) but still – why not just let Kratz play himself out of the position rather than kick him back down?

• George

July 31, 2012 at 9:38 pm

There is more to being a catcher than hitting a few home runs. In fact, it’s primarily a defensive position. Kratz must have some weaknesses, or he’d have been used more often, or he’d even be the backup catcher on an ML team.

• Brooks

July 31, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I’m looking at Kratz vs Schneider – I choose Kratz hands down.

• Ryne Duren

July 31, 2012 at 11:09 pm

i agree brooks schnieder should have been DFA’d as soon as he was cleared to play! why the hell would they want to keep a guy who can’t hit, can’t run, and hardly throws anyone out! kratz has shown me at least he called a good game, hit for power, drove in some crucial runs. i just don’t get that!

and to reply to george about his defense. i didn’t see any weakness! he called a good game blocked tough pitches in the dirt, did what a catchers supposed to do. and as far as not playing? really with chooch? right now if i had my druthers chooch would catch just as he has when schnieder was here before no more no less, same with kratz he should play no more or no less than schnieder. another thought on why kratz should stay. how many RH bats do we have now? our OF is 4 L and 1R if anybody noticed shit holes the guy from the giants is a LH bat. whats that leave us on the bench?

• The Original Chuck P

August 1, 2012 at 11:30 am

Schneider has been outplayed by a young and hungry catcher in Erik Kratz and he should not be allowed to re-claim his spot. Kratz is no worse defensively than Schneider and he brings energy… plus, he’s getting valuable experience playing with Chooch (they seem to have a nice connection). DFA Schneider – if you can get him back down to LHV to work with Valle, fine. If not, adios.

27. Morris Buttermaker

July 31, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Letting Strasburg bat there makes sense if the Nationals come back later in the game. He’s not a bad hitter. What’s the likelihood a pinch hitter comes in with 2 outs in the 4th and sparks a rally? The approach there is that they are just giving away an at-bat. Save a pinch hitter for a more crucial part in the game.

• Brooks

July 31, 2012 at 9:26 pm

With a man on first? Nah, try to get what you can

• DavidE

July 31, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I would let Strasburg bat even if the Nationals planned to take him out. He is 11 for 33 and has 4 doubles and 1 home run in 33 official plate appearances. He also has 3 walks. That is very good production.

28. Chuck A.

July 31, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Anybody hear the interview that TMac and Wheels had with Amaro earlier in the game?? Ruben actually said that he doesn’t like to waste ownership’s money.

• Gaho

October 11, 2012 at 10:42 pm

well, then i’m definitely the one on the right. brlnliait, but missing several pieces that would nicely round out the package. heh. package.sorry. i just bombed a midterm. you’re getting my post-completion stress reaction.Left by amy on October 6th, 2005

29. Andrew from Waldorf

July 31, 2012 at 9:06 pm

If Ruben cared about the owners money he would quit.

But more importantly.

After tonights win the Nats lead is down to 15.5

We can do this guys.

Did you say over?
    Nothing is over until we decide it is.
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no.”
    “And it ain’t over now

• Tracey

July 31, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Hee hee! That’s my favorite thing that they play on the scoreboard in the later innings.

Let’s…. DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ryne Duren

July 31, 2012 at 11:12 pm

AFW you crack me up man! that last paragraph.. was that from animal house? that sounded like belushi!

July 31, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I would LOVE to hear Amaro say that he doesn’t like to waste ownership’s money. What a load of crap that is. Recently, I bet he was handed his ass by ownership for being a spendthrift.

OWNERSHIP: “Hey Ruben, how come you didn’t sign Cole earlier and you wouldn’t have your balls to the fire by his agent. We could have saved money and time.

RUBEN: “Errrr, Sorry guys. I promise I’ll be frugal in the future. I know we’re in this not so much to win but to make money for the ownership. I wish I knew that when I signed Howard . Hee, Hee, Hee. THAT was embarrassing!””

OWNERSHIP: Good boy, Reben. Now fill our drinks up and get us some sandwiches.”

31. Brooks

July 31, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Lee is at 103 pitch count – I think Cholly leaves him in for at least 1 more

32. Brooks

July 31, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Nix with a terrible game, 3 strike outs –

33. Groty

July 31, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Like, and like, and like. TG is no longer a prospect. Though I do have to wonder why Toronto is always looking for catchers. I was looking over the rosters this afternoon. This all makes complete sense. Valle is quite a bit ahead of Joseph. They both need quality starts, a lot of them. Good to see Valle in Lehigh. Joseph has a great team to basically walk into as a starter.

WIN WIN all around.

34. Brooks

July 31, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Downtown with a hit! Nice

35. Brooks

July 31, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Tracey do you think Cliff is tasting that chicken dinner?

36. Brooks

July 31, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Hooo ya! Nice

37. Tracey

July 31, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Brooks: Winner winner.

38. Tracey

July 31, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Wow… I still can’t believe it…

39. Brooks

July 31, 2012 at 10:04 pm

chicken dinner

40. Tracey

July 31, 2012 at 10:04 pm

And here’s Harry…

ok, really no hopes, but it was a good game.

41. TheDipsy

July 31, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Dom Brown will NOT make it thru next year as our starting OFer. He can’t play the field, he holds his hands to high and is gonna get busted inside regularly, plus he’s a mutt. When things get tough he shuts down instead of grit his teeth. Youth, stupidity, cowardice, lazy….call it what you want. It just goes to show that a long sweet left handed swing doesn’t make you Darryl Strawberry. He did nothing in AAA to earn a spot in the starting lineup. I’d like to see him have a decent two months and then get traded.

The Dipsy

• Groty

July 31, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Has he been in a consistent situation AT ALL in the last 3 years?

Not trying to defend him, but he is the poster child for Top Prospects thrown into some weird, very weird situations. Then take into consideration his injuries. Look into the last 3 years.

42. Jeff

July 31, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Dipsy you are giving advise on a player. Who the fuk are you dude.

Go away you asshole.

July 31, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Let’s go eat!

• Andrew from Waldorf

July 31, 2012 at 11:19 pm

One great thing about today is I got to unfollow Pences twitter and facebook pages.

Nothing against him. Seems like a great guy and he did alot of charity stuff etc etc.

But AFW dont like no giants players pages. ( said in Charlies West Virginia accent)

• Lefty

August 1, 2012 at 7:21 am

Agreed, I guess it’s because he just wasn’t here long enough. But I gotta admit, it’s going to take me a little longer with Shane.

44. Andrew from Waldorf

July 31, 2012 at 11:16 pm

At least its sink or swim for D Brown.
    But this should have happened 15 months ago.

Then we would have known and traded him maybe when he had any value. Or let him platy if he earned it.

But Ruben Minaya likes to hold his precious things in his hands till he cracks them and they have no value.

I aint got much more for 2012 boys and girls.
    Hard to work up a rant for a team this bad.

But I did see a win coming tonight and expect their best baseball of 2012 to come.
    And it has nothing to do with 1b and 2b.

45. Ryne Duren

July 31, 2012 at 11:23 pm

i’m watching bastardo pitching the eight .. he gets the first batter to fly out to medium left . a lefty. then harper strikes out on 4 nasty sliders. and what happens? good time cholly comes out to pull bastardo with 2 outs and nobody on with a 6 run lead! and does anybody wonder why he’s got confidence problems! did anyone notice the look on his face as he walked off the mound? he looked not happy! i think being in last place going no effin where leave the guy in to face the righty to build up his ego a bit and maybe you’ll get the bastard of a pitcher back ya had the first half of last year! and everybody says our young guys stink! they need a manager who beleives in them so they can believe in themselves. fire the old fart asap! by the way schwimmer looked really good in the ninth!

• George

August 1, 2012 at 8:18 am

What would have happened to Bastardo’s confidence if he’d been left in and COULDN’T get the right handed batter?

Tony LaRussa always switched pitchers for different handed batters, and he’s considered great. Manuel tries it and he’s an idiot and should be fired. Yeah, right!

• Ryne Duren

August 1, 2012 at 8:56 am

well george i agree with you beleive it or not but ! but only if we’re in a relavent race! we’re not so now is the time to find out what a players made of! i wasn’t bashing the move in itself. it was the right move if you’re in a race or a tight game. but it was a time to give a guy a chance to redeem himself. charlie is not very good with young players. i love the guy for bring a ws. to us but as you can see the older core is not gonna be here much longer and we need a manager that knows how to bring the young ones along. now bastardo isn’t what i call a young one cuase he’s been around about 3 yrs but to me the guy is fragile mentally right now and doing what he did only makes things worse if the guy thinks the manager has no confidence. and as far as your sarcastic remark of yea right! he is an idiot and should be fired! for doing that and lots of other dumb moves this year. he’s cost us at least 7-10 games being outmanaged by others managers who play him like a fiddle. he refuses to change utley howard back to back! chooch should be between them to limit opposing manager use of a LH reliever for one. batting j-bag third for two long with no production, and then moving him to leadoff where he doesn’t belong. etc. etc. i could go on but i’m tired of typing. Right?

• schmenkman

August 1, 2012 at 9:49 am

I think the 7-10 games estimate is way too high, but there really is no way to prove or disprove that.

Regarding splitting Utley and Howard, are you saying that managers would not bring in a LOOGY just to face Howard? I think they would.

As it is, the LOOGY faces both Utley and Howard, and that’s fine, since Utley has always hit lefties about as well as righties:

For his career:
        vs. RHP: .885 OPS, .378 wOBA
        vs. LHP: .868 OPS, .379 wOBA

• George

August 1, 2012 at 10:53 am

Once again, I have to disagree. If Manuel was so bad with young players, I don’t think the Phils would have stood a chance in 2008, because that team was mostly just that. Also, in 2007, he had enough confidence in Kendrick to keep him in the in the rotation the entire year.
        In fact, he’s been there for the development of most the team.

You also didn’t answer my question about what would have happened to Bastardo’s confidence if he couldn’t get the righty out. I think if you’re trying to bolster someone’s confidence, you don’t risk putting him in a situation with a way higher chance of failure. Maybe the race doesn’t count, but Manuel must still be cautious when a player’s psyche is at stake. Why should Bastardo be forced, perhaps before he’s ready, to face the kind of hitter he’s had problems with the entire season? Let him gain confidence by getting out ALL the guys he faces.

The “yeah, right!” was not directed at you personally, but at fans in general who always seem to blame Manuel when it’s his players that don’t perform. It’s idiotic to be blaming one manager (Manuel) and praising another for the exact same types of decisions.

46. DavidE

August 1, 2012 at 12:53 am

Here are some things to consider:

Shane Victorino came to the Phillies as a Rule 5 player.

Jayson Werth came to the Phillies as a backup outfielder who had been given up on by the Orioles and the Dodgers.

The key thing is that by getting rid of Pence and Victorino, they have opened up spots for players to claim. Dominic Brown is in the mix. But he knows that he has to make the most of his opportunity. But maybe a younger version of Victorino or Werth will also come along.

I think the problem with Amaro is that he forgets how the Phillies were built. They weren’t built by huge free agent contracts. Look at the 2008 team. There were a lot of players on that World Series roster who were in their first three years in the majors including Hamels, Victorino and Ruiz.

Regarding Hunter Pence, I don’t see him as a great player. Defensively, he doesn’t seem to be a great judge of fly balls. He made several costly misplays early in the year. While he has a great arm and can uncork some great throws, I don’t see him as being that valuable defensively. Offensively, he has shown some pop. But I don’t know how much of an improvement he really was over Dominic Brown last year.

• George

August 1, 2012 at 8:25 am

The 2008 Phils weren’t built with free agent contracts because they had their own talent, due in large part to high draft picks. They also had a starting pitching staff of Hamels and mediocrity, which had to be improved. They were pretty lucky to obtain Victorino and Werth for 2009, but still needed to shore up the rotation.

I don’t think Amaro has forgotten at all. It’s just that the Phils haven’t had those high draft picks for a half-dozen years now. Some players had to be locked in, because with no draft picks, there’s no more influx of young, cost controlled talent.

• George

August 1, 2012 at 8:28 am

The third sentence of the first paragraph should read: They were pretty lucky to obtain Victorino and Pence, but for 2009, they still needed to shore up the rotation.

I was writing too fast the first time.

• schmenkman

August 1, 2012 at 8:40 am

The first version made more sense to me 🙂

• George

August 1, 2012 at 11:15 am

Schmenk: Once again I was typing too fast. I meant, of course, Werth, not Pence. I can see why that second comment made no sense.

I wanted to make it clear that I knew that Werth and Vic were already on the team when 2009 rolled around.

Getting Pence, of course, was a later move.

47. artemis

August 1, 2012 at 1:29 am

Didn’t the Nats play a lazy game? They looked like they smugly didn’t want to fight it out with a team they felt were “inferior”… That’s the way I see it. We’ll see in the next game. Nevertheless, I LOVED the way their golden boy Bryce Harper tumbled by the fence. Classic!

• Ryne Duren

August 1, 2012 at 9:05 am

artemis they actually looked like they were in shock at what hit them! lee pitched a great game . and if you notice the umpire behind the plate wasn’t giving that inside pitch to righty’s and the outside pitch to lefty’s. golden boy didn’t adjust to that lee did! it was almost like a time warp back to 07-08-09-10 when we would own that team.

oh and i’d like to thanl the nat troll on this site yeasday who sarcastically said to us. ” good luck against strasburg tonite” hahahaha i wish he would wish us good luck tonite too!

48. Chuck A.

August 1, 2012 at 7:59 am

I feel like I woke up with a hangover after yesterday. All that activity at once during the day and then the awesome win last night. Nice to see Cliff totally put it together….maybe that’s the jump start he needs. I just want the team to play good baseball for the last 1/3+ of the season and finish respectably…. .500 and 3rd place is a reasonable goal at this point. Can’t believe I actually saying that but, honestly, if they did that then I wouldn’t consider this a total disaster of a season… considering how they started and what they had to work with at the beginning.

• George

August 1, 2012 at 8:31 am

I wonder if Lee was simply more relaxed, knowing that Pence wasn’t going to botch any fly balls.

I’m sure it helped, too, that he got a bunch of run support early on.

• Ryne Duren

August 1, 2012 at 9:06 am

i’d put money on that george!

49. The Sarge

August 1, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I know you can’t get enough of the Sarge!

Follow him on Twitter @the_sarge36

Oh My!! It’s cadillac time!!