Cloyd Out-dueled by Harvey in Debut

The Phillies dropped their second straight to the New York Mets, losing 3-2.  Tyler Cloyd pitched well, but was out-dueled by fellow rookie Matt Harvey.

-Tyler Cloyd made the “emergency start” due to Cole Hamels’ illness.  Cloyd was called up, and pitched fairly well in his debut.  He went six innings, allowing three runs on seven hits.  He struck out five and walked two.

-The only big mistake Cloyd made was in the third inning when he gave up a two-run home run to Lucas Duda.  Cloyd missed his spot, leaving the pitch up and in.  Duda took advantage of the rookie mistake, and crushed it to right field.  The Mets took a 3-2 lead, and held onto that score for the rest of the game.

-The lone runs came on a Ryan Howard sacrifice fly and a Jimmy Rollins RBI double in the first and second innings.  Other than that, the Phillies offense was shut down.

-Harvey only gave up six hits, as the Phillies were just 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position.  The Mets bullpen also did their job, pitching a combined 2.2 hitless innings.

-The Phillies bullpen will try another scoreless inning streak.  Jeremy Horst, Antonio Bastardo, Phillippe Aumont, and Josh Lindblom combined for three scoreless innings.

Click to comment

1. Andrew from Waldorf

August 29, 2012 at 10:58 pm

They are killing me.

If I lose my Mets-Phillies bet this year I wont be able to afford the baseball package next year or the whiskey I need to help follow this team.

Come on guys win one for Waldorfer tomorrow.

2. Bruce

August 30, 2012 at 12:01 am

I wish you luck on that one Andrew. Kyle kendrick is scheduled to pitch tomorrow.

In mentioning Kendrick, the 25 yeqr old rookie, Tyler Cloyd the Phillies called up for a emergency start reminds me of him a little. He has the same pitch, a cutter to go with a change up. Cloyd needs those pitches to get outs because his fastball is strictly mediocre topping out at 87 mph tonight. He struggled at times with his command but managed to wiggled out of jams except for one fat pitch to Duda who crushed it for a 2-run HR.

There were moments that I thought i was seeing a clone of Jamie Moyer..slow, slower and slowest and hardly any difference between his fastball and change up (chuckles). However, as the game went into later innings, I decided Tyler Cloyd resembles more of Kendrick in getting in and out of jams. 🙂

I am more impressed with that rookie pitcher for the Mets who is 2 years younger than Phillies rookie, Cloyd. 23 year old Matt Harvey has extraordinary stuff and his fastball tops out at 98 mph. He now has 7 starts and lowered his ERA to 2.76.This kid is going to be special and the raves he is getting from the baseball media is totally justified.

3. bacardipr

August 30, 2012 at 2:01 am

Bruce that’s pretty much what Cloyd has been compared to a Kendrick clone. That is from people that have watched him pitch supposedly. So your assessment mirrors what ive been hearing on various blogs.

4. DCmikey

August 30, 2012 at 7:12 am

Didnt I call it?? Read my post on Cloyd in the earlier post about how his line was going to resemble Worleys.

5. Mike

August 30, 2012 at 7:38 am

I wouldn’t mind having a solid guy like this at the bottom of our rotation.

6. TheDipsy

August 30, 2012 at 7:56 am

Yes, Cloyd reminds me of Kendrick, too. Cloyd has a drop ball, though. Call it what you want. What did Cloyd top out at….88? I liked him. I think he can be effective somewhere.

The Dipsy

7. Wills

August 30, 2012 at 8:16 am

Great to see some of the former BlueClaws getting a chance in the majors, especially after Amaro Jr. was just here at First Energy to sign the Player Development Contract Extension.

8. "Big Ed" Delahanty

August 30, 2012 at 8:57 am

I’m glad they finally brought him up. He did great for his first start. He definitely has the ability to possibly be a solid starter, like Worley. Phillies’ hitters have a knack for making opposing rookie pitchers look like the reincarnation of Walter Johnson. Let’s bring Ruf up and give him a shot too. And if we win, Andrew will have money for multiple shots. ; )

9. "Big Ed" Delahanty

August 30, 2012 at 9:46 am

My friend just sent me a text saying that Utley asked Amaro about possibly moving to third? Anyone else hear that, or is he messing with me?

• Ryne Duren

August 30, 2012 at 11:05 am

no ed that’s exactly right appently utley went to amaro and asked to try it. hey why not! utley said he’s do it to give the team more flexibility. what the hey big guy try it, thats what i say.

10. "Big Ed" Delahanty