2012 Gameday

Gameday: Braves (63-46) at Phillies (49-60)

Atlanta Braves (63-46) vs. Philadelphia Phillies (49-60)

Mike Minor (6-7, 5.01) vs. Cole Hamels (11-6, 3.34)

Time: 7:05 PM, Citizens Bank Park
Partly Cloudy, 88
Media: Twitter and Facebook

With last night’s 6-1 defeat, the Phillies have lost seven straight to Atlanta.  Not only did they lose the game, but they lost their sell-out streak as well.  It’s time for a new streak to begin: in both victories and attendance.

Cole Hamels hasn’t pitched that well in his last few starts.  In his last three starts, he is 0-2 with a 5.03 ERA.  Hamels is still having a great season, and it would be nice to see him go on a roll before the season comes to a close.

Drafted in 2009 out of Vanderbilt, Minor was considered to be a notable prospect in the Braves’ system.  Although he is still young, he hasn’t panned out as well as the Braves had hoped — for now.  Minor has yet to find his groove in the big leagues, with a career 4.88 ERA, but there is still time for him to improve as he has plenty of potential.  He has been much better recently, posting a 1.45 ERA in his last three starts, and a 1.98 ERA during the entire month of June.  His season stats might not be impressive, but he is in the midst of a hot streak.

Tonight’s matchup is interesting.  Minor, who hasn’t kicked off his career as well as he would have liked, is riding a hot streak.  On the other hand, Hamels’ career is worth $144 million, but he has been struggling as of late.

LINEUP: Rollins SS, Brown LF, Utley 2B, Howard 1B, Mayberry CF, Kratz C, Schierholtz RF, Frandsen 3B, Hamels P

GAMEDAY BEER: Sweetwater Blue

SweetWater Blue is a unique light-bodied ale with a hint of fresh blueberries. It begins with an appealing blueberry aroma and finishes as a surprisingly thirst-quenching ale. It’ll certainly be hard to find in the Philly region, but if you know of one of those crazy 6-pack stores that has EVERYTHING, look for this, or at least ask about it. It’s an Atlanta-based brewing company. And while I’m not particularly fond of fruity beer, a hint I don’t mind. Get out that chicken and the Sweet Baby Rays and make this a sweet night. -By Pat

Click to comment

1. Andrew from Waldorf

August 7, 2012 at 7:41 pm

The Phillies announcers (propaganda machine) is getting to be about much.

Brown doesnt tag up correctly and its the first time in 4 years I hear the 2 clowns go on and on about something.

And then Howard and Utley literaly have never done anything wrong and if it wasnt for injury and bad luck the Phils would be in first.

It never seems to get better and now that they are a last place team its reached sickening levels.

• Ken Bland

August 7, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Areonely here Andrew?

I stop by to scan the reactions to the rare lead, and rarer RyHo rip, and I see Andrew has the lone post.

My, oh, my.

Nothing to criticize, and the band stops playing.

The boys musta taken a cue from the sellout streak snapping, and figured posts are supposed to to drop like no ass seats.

Just teasin about nobody being negative, but I expected some comments with a 3 zip lead.
      Figured I’d have a little fun with the quiet.

• Ryne Duren

August 8, 2012 at 10:47 pm

i hear ya loud and clear my man! couldn’t have put it any better. i’m just happy cause i thought maybe i was just imagining this crap!

2. Brooks

August 7, 2012 at 8:24 pm

We’re watching the game Ken

3. Brooks

August 7, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Tis a good one too. I love when I am wrong.

4. Brooks

August 7, 2012 at 8:36 pm

6 pitch inning, nice…

5. Brooks

August 7, 2012 at 8:39 pm

more runs more runs more runs

6. Brooks

August 7, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Good for Cole, I hope he makes it – this will be good for him

7. Brooks

August 7, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Best game this year for Cole. First shutout since 2009, first complete game this year.

8. "Big Ed" Delahanty

August 7, 2012 at 10:07 pm

@ Ken: Sorry, I was in class.

+’s: Kratz continued his tear a la Chooch, Dom Brown looked good, Nate S. has continued to perform well (2-3), (insert Schmenkman with a stat telling me he will eventually bottom out. Just joking Schmenkman, your stat prowess is unparalleled.) Cole Hamels looked like a 140+ million pitcher tonight.
    -‘s: Ryan Howard. He hit a two run homer but struck out 3 times. Starting to resemble Pete Incavilgna.
    Overall: I know it’s improbable but I’d love a run at the second wild card. Go Phils!

• chuck schreiber

August 7, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Their can be a third wildcard and the P’s couldn’t make that either. Come on Big Ed, get real..

• chuck schreiber

August 7, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Oops, there.

9. "Big Ed" Delahanty

August 8, 2012 at 9:38 am

@Chuck S: that’s why I said I know it’s improbable. Lol. I just want to see them make an effort and play hard. Unlike the pathetic display for the first 2/3 of the season.