2012 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (53-62) at Marlins (52-64)

Philadelphia Phillies (53-62) at Miami Marlins (52-64)

Kyle Kendrick (4-9, 4.86) vs. Josh Johnson (7-8, 3.88)

TIME: 7:10, Marlins Park
Weather: Lower 80′s, mostly cloudy
Media: Twitter and Facebook

The Phillies haven’t won three straight games in almost three weeks. But they can do just that tonight as they are coming off their second straight win.

However, the bad news is that Kyle Kendrick (4-9, 4.86 ERA) is on the mound tonight, and his last outing was, let’s say, unspectacular. He gave up six earned runs, seven hits, and three walks to the Braves in less than four innings pitched. Ever since Joe Blanton was sent to the Dodgers, Kendrick, who took Blanton’s spot in the rotation, is 0-1 with a 9.82 ERA.

Josh Johnson (7-8, 3.88 ERA) will start for the Marlins, and he is pitching pretty well right now. He is 2-1 with a 1.75 ERA in his last four starts. However, the Phillies tagged him earlier this season in a 6-1 win, but the second time around, he allowed just one run. Methinks we will see the “good” Johnson tonight.

Lineup: Rollins SS, Pierre LF, Utley 2B, Howard 1B, Brown RF, Mayberry CF, Frandsen 3B, Schneider C, Kendrick P

GAMEDAY BEER: Pilsner Urquell

This Czech pils is just strong enough and tasty, just the way I like my beer. It’s not quite as light as other lagers, but it has a crisp look to it. Don’t be pushed away by it’s slightly bitter aroma, it’ll go down smoother than you think. There will be a slight, slight aftertaste to it, but don’t be alarmed. It’s quite refreshing.  -By Pat

Click to comment

1. Tracey

August 14, 2012 at 9:45 pm

WHEW!!! Phils win! Pappy had me nervous!

2. Tracey

August 14, 2012 at 9:47 pm

August 14, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Every time I say that Kyle Kendrick stinks, he pitches a great game. I am gonna say “He Stinks” from now on. Nice game , Kyle. You stink!

• Brooks

August 14, 2012 at 11:18 pm

The exact same reaction here Bart – and you know that his next start could be in the trash – we all know it.
      Way to go KK, er, break a leg?

4. BobS

August 14, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I think the same way, Bart. If we can get a couple thousand people to say he stinks, KK will be a shoe-in for the Cy Young. No positivity allowed or the guy goes straight into the crapper everytime. if I even allow one good thought, he’s gone in 4 innings. So from now on, its “Kyle, you stink”

5. SavannahPhilliesPhan

August 14, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I think Kyle Kendrick is intimidated by some teams. He lacks confidence and that’s what Charlie gives him. I think he felt more comfortable with Schneider catching. Again…maybe Schneider makes him feel more confident. Who knows? I had the feeling he kept saying,
    “I know I can do it”, “I know I can do it”.

August 14, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Great idea folks, Kyle Kendrick 7 innings of shut out pitching, he stinks!

7. Andrew from Waldorf

August 15, 2012 at 1:01 am

If you can blame KK and Moyer and Valdez and every other middle reliever or 5th starter or 4th infielder.
    Why wouldnt you?

You have Rollins and Howard and Utley and Halladay and Lee and Hamels.

You have the best team. Thats why you win.
    The core could never haunt you.

I forgot Blanton.
    The true cause of all the losses.