Why do you love the Phillies? – Phillies Nation
Contests

Why do you love the Phillies?

Phillies DVD

Win this Phillies DVD set!

Why do you love the Phillies? – it’s a simple question and probably one we’ve not thought of much.

Like many of us, I started loving the Phillies because I was born in Philadelphia. That seems like a simple enough answer, but why then do I still love the Phillies after all these years? Sure they have provided some exciting baseball the past several seasons…and watching good baseball is certainly an enjoyable hobby. But why do we still love going to games this year, when they are so inconsistent? Better yet, why did I go to all those games in the late 80s and 90s to watch Bruce Ruffin, Steve Jeltz and Kevin Sefcik?

Maybe you have some ideas. Why do you love the Phillies? Submit your story below and you’ll be entered to win The Essential Games of The Philadelphia Phillies 4-disc DVD showcasing 4 of the greatest games in Phillies history.

[gravityform id=”32″ name=”Why I Love the Phillies” title=”false” description=”false”]

Click to comment

1. chip

August 30, 2012 at 3:30 pm

how long can the story be. To be honest, I could write a novel. I don’t want to go overboard.
    what would you suggest? Thanks. can you email my user & pass?

2. George

August 30, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I hate contests. I never win even when I should.

• Ken Bland

August 30, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Big fan of contests. Huge fan. Dateline Convention Hall, Philadelphia, Pa.

My dad takes me to an NBA doubleheader, and I guess based on ticket stub, or program purchase, we get called for some door prize action. Go down to the floor, and get in line to claim our prize. Guy in front of my dad scarfs his prize, 2 ducats to next Wednesday’s doubleheader leaving my dad to take home a loaf of kosher salami. Figure I’m due in some contest after that.

Being a yon pre teen at the time, I wasn’t as perceptive as I’m not now either, but I look back on that expreience and wonder if my dad, not being a sports fan might have either somehow purposely not secured the tix. Oh, well. Guess I’ll never know. But I figure the law of averages favors me in contest participation to balance out the scales. It didn’t get much better than than Sixers-Royals after Baltimore-Detroit in Game 1.

• George

August 30, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Considering how many contests I’ve never won, the odds should mean I’ll win one soon. But I still won’t. I should be arrested for breaking the law of averages.

3. psujoe

August 30, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Simple. They have a leadoff hitter that pops up all the time and dogs it. Also, they have a manager that continues to bat the lazy popup hitter 1st in the line up because he pouts when he doesn’t.

• schmenkman

August 30, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Does he only field balls near him? No. He always hustles in the field.
      Does he steal bases and hustle when he’s on base? Yes.
      He doesn’t run out ground balls when in the vast, vast majority of cases running all out all the way would not make one bit of difference.

I understand the indignation about him, but honestly, it’s not that big a deal.

• schmenkman

August 30, 2012 at 8:34 pm

To quote joecatz over at The Good Phight…

“In the top of the 3rd, with 2 outs, I could swear I saw Jimmy Rollins hustle something fierce out of the box on a 2-2 pitch and turned what should have been a single on a soft fly ball to RF into a pure hustle double. (Seriously, watch that play again and name 5 other players in the game right now who would have been smart enough to make that play happen.)”

• Ken Bland

August 30, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Oh, I cannot wait to read your contest entry. Numbers up the yin yang. What the hell are you doing debating Rollins worth on this thread for? There are 4.329 (22nd in site history on subjects hit) posts about Rollins, and you choose this one to carry out your mission to defend Jimmy Rollins until the leading race in the world has a collective blue in the face B-Otint.

B-O-R-I-N-G. In ultra max caps, if I had ’em.

• schmenkman

August 30, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Ken, as usual I don’t understand half of what you said, but in any case, it would have been awkward to reply psujoe in a different thread.

• schmenkman

August 30, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Also, in many disciplines of life (science, business, baseball GM), “numbers up the ying yang” means basing decisions on facts and data, rather than gut feelings. So while that may not have been intended as a compliment, you might see why I see it as one.

To soften the “don’t understand half of what you say comment,” let me add that in most of your comments you have very interesting things to say and, while you sometimes have a funny way of wording things that I can’t always decipher, I look forward to seeing what nuggets of insight or humor might be found there.

4. Patty Jennings

August 30, 2012 at 7:39 pm

My love for the Phillies started out of my love for my husband. He has been a diehard Philly Phan all his life. I grew up in a Red Sox home. After marrying my husband, I soon realized that I needed to learn to love the Phillies or not share seven months out of a year with my husband. I have grown to be a true Phillies Phan and pride myself on knowing Philly news before my husband. Our first trip to Citizens Bank Park was to enjoy Hall of Fame deck seats that I won in a radio promotion. We’ve been grateful for the opportunity to attend numerous games since then. Since we live in Carlisle, it’s an all day affair to attend a game.

• Ken Bland

August 30, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Yo, Patty. how you’s doin?

You didn’t have to tell us you grew up a Red Sox fan.

We could tell by the fact that you gave your best shot in public.

Looks to me like the contest is one of private entry (see above), so any and all participants can let their hair down in private. That would figger to go over the head of a nee Red Sox follower, ya know?

Must have had a better strategy to win the radio promotion would be my guess.

• brooks

August 31, 2012 at 2:48 am

Yo, Kenny, how you doin?

Patty was just expressing herself as a fan and sure, she did not link correctly but you know what? So what? She is a fan and she comes to this site not to get beat up by the likes of someone like you… she is a fan brother. We have had others on this site give people crap because they thought so highly of themselves and so little of the purpose of this blog, to just let it out and express your joy, sadness, anger, happiness and not get treated like trash for doing it. So, ease up bro.

Thanks for sharing Patty and, my condolences for growing up in a Red Sox household
        Welcome to the PN

• Ken Bland

August 31, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Brooks,

Thanks for your ridiculous opinion.

And Patty is welcome for me suggesting that if she wanted to enter the contest, perhaps she oughta follow what looked like the format. Course you conclusively decided you were the self appointed protector, I was just passing on what looked like the rules, although I’m not running the contest. And if you wanna take it upon yourself that someone who I assume you don’t know personally has no self deprication to their humor game, that’s your problem.

Sorry your so thin skinned. There was a touch of a gentlemanly spirit to your comments, but my definition of a gentleman is one who allows a woman to speak for herself. Not that this poster should be classified as a woman any more than a rare poster, or a possible lengthier list of demographic categories.

5. CC5

September 1, 2012 at 10:53 am

I entered the contested but maybe wrote too much. I thought I scrolled for a few lines but I could not retrieve my beginning. I wrote something like the Phillies have unmatched history with my family, about 1894.

I am sad if I lost it. I wrote with affection