Analysis

Worley Hits DL, Elbow Surgery to Follow

Worley is headed to surgery. (AP)

Finally, it became too much.

Vance Worley has been shut down, placed on the disabled list due to lingering pain in his right elbow. He will undergo surgery on the elbow within the next 7-to-10 days.

There is no word currently as to what kind of surgery this will entail, and what the recovery and rehab time will be. However, we do know he is dealing with loose bodies in his throwing elbow.

In his last 11 starts dating back to early July, Worley has an ERA of 5.80. That has caused his ERA to swell from 2.92 on June 26 to 4.20, where it currently stands.

Even though the bad outings, not one time did Worley make an excuse that the elbow was the issue. You have to admire his fortitude, pitching through what everyone knew to be a balky elbow. The Phillies had seen enough after Tuesday night’s short outing against the Mets. Worley has been unable to pitch deep into games, tossing more than six innings just one time since June.

Click to comment

1. Dave P

August 29, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Finally. I am a Worley fan, for sure. But this year, he definitely was not pitching like he did last year. Better to get the surgery done sooner so he can be fully healed by next season.

2. Jeffrey Brand

August 29, 2012 at 4:22 pm

You can tell in his face and delivery lay night there was some discomfort after each throw. The lack of command and how flat his breaking ball was in last three outings. I think Vance and Kendrick would be better off in our bullpen next season. Proven to reliably eat innings on both sides of winning or losing.work with what you have already. Middle relief that is consistent is hard to come by and unless in your farm will be hard to or unappealing to trade for, because they come in mostly when things are going awry. They are not stars and you almost hate to waste money on. depending on whether they bring up rookies from the minors like cloyd i would agree with this move.

3. Jay Floyd

August 29, 2012 at 4:24 pm

This is good for the player and the team. It’s not like he was pitching well by any means and risking the issue becoming worse is not worth it. Repair the damage and get Vance right for next year.

4. BART SHART

August 29, 2012 at 4:28 pm

It’s about time. Worley needs to tell people in decision-making capacities if he is hurting. He will stunt his own career by trying to pitch with a sore arm, and he will hurt his team.

I hope a lesson is learned. I hope he comes back strong.

5. Sue Pozniak

August 29, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Good luck Vance! Get back ASAP!

6. bacardipr

August 29, 2012 at 4:55 pm

That would mean Jeff the Phils would have to acquire 2 new starting pitchers. One of the 2 will probably hit the bullpen but not both. At least i dont think so but who knows what Rube will do. I dont foresee Rube going with 2 rookie minor league starting pitchers. Assuming its due to injuries and it Worley can duplicate his success before been injured he will be a decent 4th starter. We just need to squeeze that extra inning out of him.

7. Brooks

August 29, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I look at this entirely different than what I am reading above.
    Worely was hurt, like Jeff said, it seemed apparent.
    Look, enough of this with Worley saying he can pitch, Utley not telling (if you say he did not know he couldn’t play, same difference) management he was unable to play – this has to stop because its hurting the team. A complete and thourough physical workup should be done for each player prior to the season starting and, whenever they are coming back from injury/rehab. Let management decide. I think that something like this has to be dealt with head on and let it be known, if you are not forthwrite in your decision to play that will directly affect the teams outcome, there will be cosequences.

• Lefty

August 29, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Brooks, I mostly agree, but I don’t think it’s about players being forthright, they’re just competitors. I never ever told a coach I couldn’t play no matter what, it’s just human nature if you love to play. (and in my case was always worried they’d find someone better and replace me)

So, I wouldn’t want to see consequences, just better decision making, and monitoring by management. They certainly could have shut Worley down earlier, but I don’t know, I just can’t put the blame on him for it.

• George

August 29, 2012 at 11:43 pm

From what I’ve always heard, players get physical examinations before every season begins, and teams all have doctors on staff and keep medical files on everyone. Some issues just don’t show up until they prove to be problems. An MRI isn’t the answer to everything; sometimes a player has to be asked, and many have been able to play with issues like bad knees and bone chips. Was Hamels being forthright last season claiming to be okay while pitching with bone chips and a hernia? Should management have decided he should sit?

It’s not as black and white as you might like it to be.

8. Ryne Duren

August 29, 2012 at 5:08 pm

it has been reported that hamels is scratched for tonites game due to some kind of gastro illness and the tyler cloyd is starting tonite and will remain in the rotation due to worley having surgery!

• Jay Floyd

August 29, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Haha- Ryne Duren with the LATE breaking news.

• Lefty

August 29, 2012 at 7:30 pm

That’s pretty good considering he’s been dead for over a year.

9. Andrew from Waldorf

August 29, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Funny that Bart Shart and myself can read things and understand them before Phillies management dullards. Just a couple of goofs on an internet site.

When they offer me the GM job you can be my assistant Bart.

Lefty you can be my valet.

• Lefty

August 30, 2012 at 6:39 am

WOW Really? I’ve been waiting all my life for an opportunity to serve your every need Jethro- er…. Andrew. Way to jinx the team with your stupid bet dude. The Phils can play well against the the team with second best record, and then sweep the guys with the best record in baseball, but now can’t beat the flippin’ Mets.

But when Strasburg gets shut down, and he will be, you’ll wear a bright red L on your head for losing 2 bets and be spit shining my shoes day after day!

• Chuck A.

August 30, 2012 at 7:56 am

I would pay money to see AFW spit shining your shoes.