2012 Gameday

Gameday: Marlins (63-79) at Phillies (70-71)

Miami Marlins (63-79) at Philadelphia Phillies (70-71)

Nathan Eovaldi (3-5, 4.85) vs. Roy Halladay (9-7, 3.87)

Time: 7:05 PM, Citizens Bank Park
TV: CSN
Weather: Mostly Sunny, 75
Media: Twitter and Facebook

“From the cradle of liberty, Philadelphia Pennsylvania. Do we have closure? No. No, the heinous acts of terrorism last Tuesday will be with us for as long as we all shall live.” — Harry Kalas, 2001.

Phillies baseball is exciting once again!  The Phillies have won five straight, and if they win tonight, they’ll be back at .500.

But let’s put baseball aside for a minute and remember those who lost their lives eleven years ago.  We will never forget the tragedy on September 11, 2001, and we will never forget those who lost their lives.

LINEUP: Rollins SS, Pierre LF, Utley 2B, Howard 1B, Ruiz C, Brown RF, Mayberry CF, Martinez 3B, Halladay P.

Brooklyn LagerYour Gameday Beer – Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
Today’s beer is Black Chocolate Stout by the Brooklyn Brewery (famous for its lager). As the title implies, it’s a dark sweet brew. The chocolate flavor is nearly matched by the coffee, vanilla, toffee and roasted malt undertones but is certainly the centerpiece in the 10.6% stout. This dessert beer is heavy enough, so have it in place of coffee after dinner along with a biscuit of some sort. – By Brian

GO PHILLIES!

Click to comment

1. Andrew from Waldorf

September 11, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Need this game.
    Its crucial

Go phils!

September 11, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I wanna see Babe Ruf!

3. Andrew from Waldorf

September 11, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Last night vs a lefthander was the time to start him at first.

I am hoping the next time a left hander starts it happens.

4. Tracey

September 11, 2012 at 7:21 pm

9/11 memory: I remember that they cancelled baseball for a few days. My comment at the time: there wasn’t any point in cancelling the Phillies games, because there weren’t enough people there to make it a worthwhile terrorist target. My, how times have changed… weeknight games at the Vet back then got about 18,000 people.

5. Tracey

September 11, 2012 at 7:24 pm

WELCOME BACK CHOOCH!!!!!!

6. betasigmadeltashag

September 11, 2012 at 7:25 pm

What kind of year is this guy having Chooooooooch. It is just crazy how much this guy is on even after being out and beat up for a while. If he stays on fire any chance he gets one or two MVP votes even missing the time he has

• Lefty

September 11, 2012 at 7:38 pm

If Chooch had stayed healthy, It’s highly possible that the top three National League MVP candidates could all have been catchers.

Posey, Molina, Ruiz-

I don’t think that has ever happened before.

Melky is no longer in the race, but I can’t help but wonder how much he helped Posey in terms of RBI, I guess we’ll never know.

7. Tracey

September 11, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Whee!

8. betasigmadeltashag

September 11, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Dom Brown coming through and Chooch running well. Scoring from second on that hit. I may be starting to believe the Dom hype might be real

September 11, 2012 at 7:40 pm

“From the cradle of liberty, Philadelphia Pennsylvania. Do we have closure? No. No, the heinous acts of terrorism last Tuesday will be with us for as long as we all shall live.” Harry Kalas

Thank You Amanda, I’d forgotten Harry’s words. God bless America.

10. Ken Bland

September 11, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Well, so far good, up 2 B4 comin’ up, see how much edge can be had before the pen is asked id step up, and the Natti leading the Bucs, 4-1.

Doc continues giving what he can. Get back in 9 inning shape, and I would hope he’ll be fine, but I suppose that’s for next year.

11. Glutenous

September 11, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Woo! Nicely done Rollins/Pierre. That’s how you play some small ball right there (Aided by the wild pitch).

• Ken Bland

September 11, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Yo, Glute…

If ya feel like answering this, go for it.

After Doc came back from injury, and was so so early on, you posed the question have we seen the best of him.

Maybe by posiing the question, you were stating your opinion, and I missed that.

But with a couple months back now, what’s your view on the subject?

12. Tracey

September 11, 2012 at 9:04 pm

HAHAHAHAHA!!! RBI single for Doc!!! Way to help yourself out!

13. Tracey

September 11, 2012 at 9:06 pm

DROP IIIIIIITTTTT!!!!!

(hey, it worked!)

14. Tracey

September 11, 2012 at 9:07 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Oh, that catcher is kicking himself now!!!

15. Glutenous

September 11, 2012 at 9:09 pm

J-Roll! Brantley feels even worse now thats for sure. I was saying to myself, he’s gonna go yard now.

16. Andrew from Waldorf

September 11, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Looks like I get to watch the Padres again tongiht.

And come on Braves.

Show some life!

17. Andrew from Waldorf

September 11, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Hats off to Howard for that attempted catch

And it is not his fault the manager hits a suy with a .310 sluffing 4th vs lefties.

At some point that will probably end this magaical run.

Just dumb decisions.

But it hasnt yet.

And I must say I was the first one on this bandwagon

Ken you can get me a shot and a beer at the parade now

• Ken Bland

September 11, 2012 at 9:14 pm

and you will take your steak with it how? Cheese steak, that is.

• betasigmadeltashag

September 11, 2012 at 9:26 pm

There are times I think I miss your idiotic Howard Bashing, but then when I read your drivel, I realize I do not. He has played less then half a year and if you project his numbers he once again would have over 30 HR and 120 RBIs, I know I know they are antiquated stats and all that matters is sybermetrics, I have said it before and I will say it again. The difference in this team compared to last year, is Howard missing the first half. Last year, you had JRoll, Chooch, Vic, Poly, and Chase miss a lot of games. Yea the pen Sucked, and Doc was hurt, but the Phillies were well over 500 last year, and this year they were under 500 until he came back.

18. Ken Bland

September 11, 2012 at 9:13 pm

When ya think about Jimmy having 1 homer by around the end of May, while it’s not really what he’s paid for, his homer total now, 18, is pretty impressive. Sure, you’d maybe trade a lower total for OBP, but still, homers aren’t a wasted tool.

On the board, Bucs cut to 4-3, and the Braves totally suck. Can’t win when ya want ’em to, break your heart when ya don’t. Only 1-0, Crew.

• schmenkman

September 11, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I think he’s paid to generate runs (and play defense, of course). I don’t think it’s that important how he generates those runs.

19. Glutenous

September 11, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Hold your breath, Rosenberg is pitching…man this guy is just nooooooo good.

20. Glutenous

September 11, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Oh wait thats Lindblom. Almost as bad.

21. Tracey

September 11, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Oy!!! I left the room for a little bit and came back to…WTF???

22. Tracey

September 11, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Lindbum.

23. Tracey

September 11, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Horst is usually more reliable than this. But if they’re taking out Horst, who the hell are they going to put in?

24. Tracey

September 11, 2012 at 9:43 pm

WTF??? ROSENBERG??? CHARLIE, HAVE YOU LOST ALL YOUR MARBLES???

25. Glutenous

September 11, 2012 at 9:45 pm

If they blow this game, I am going to be apoplectic.

26. Tracey

September 11, 2012 at 9:45 pm

WHEW!!!!

27. Glutenous

September 11, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Now he puts in Rosenberg? Oh no. Here comes a 3-run homerun.

28. Ken Bland

September 11, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Wonder if maybe we see Ruf bat this inning.

29. Glutenous

September 11, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Thanking Michael Brantley even more now for dropping that sure out behind the plate. Yikes. I’m a nervous wreck and we’ve still got the 8th and 9th to go. A couple insurance runs will be nice. While they have been throwing well lately, any combination of Bastardo, Aumont, and Papelbon to close this game out with a 1 run lead does not instill the most confidence in me. Bastardo is up and down, Aumont has been good but he is young and you never know when that meltdown can happen, and Papelbon, well, we have all seen that movie before. Fingers crossed.

30. Andrew from Waldorf

September 11, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Howards slugging percentage is going to fall under .300 vs lefties.

How clueless would you be to not use a right handed bat there?

Beta do you have the slightest comprehension of the sport?

How many game sthis year have we seen team move around the Phillies line up to get to Howard late in a game only to bring in a lefty and its over.

Talk about idioiotic.

And it will cost this team and it already has.

Do you understand how bad the numbers are?

I guess it wouldnt be the net though without morons.

And be happy the old man lives in la la land with you.

But me I want to win.

And yea you hit for howard there dummy.
    Unless you want to lose.

31. Andrew from Waldorf

September 11, 2012 at 10:20 pm

slugging percentage isnt sabermatretics you goof.

Pitchers slug over .300 though

32. Tracey

September 11, 2012 at 10:22 pm

WHEW!!! 3 outs to go…

33. Ken Bland

September 11, 2012 at 10:28 pm

The way I figure it, it’s not enough to keep Stanton in the park. Lee could still drive one. Getting him out would be really, really good. This is Papelbon’s kind of game. Who knows, but I think he’ll do fine.

September 11, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Aumont is very impressive. Chooch handled him perfectly.

• Tracey

September 11, 2012 at 10:35 pm

And only 23 years old. This could be a nice piece of that Phillies future we’ve been missing.

35. Andrew from Waldorf

September 11, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Its bad enough the old man did it again tonight.

But I have to have some GOOF on an internet site call me idiotic.

For wanting to pinch hit for a guy sporting a .175 BA .225 on base .325 slugging pctvs lefties

You almost have to wonder hwo they even manage to log onto a site.

and if that wasnt so bad he calls me an idiot and says that this guy with these crap stats is the reason the team is surging.

No you cannot make this up.

And yes Einstein if they make the playoffs and in that 1 game wild card if you are facing a lefty he would be sitting on the pine for me. And most other comptant managers.
    Who arentlost in 2006 when it is 2012.

There is no reason to not PH for him in the 7th tongiht with the bases loaded and Ruf sitting on the bench.

36. Tracey

September 11, 2012 at 10:31 pm

2 run lead… will that be enough???

September 11, 2012 at 10:37 pm

38. Tracey

September 11, 2012 at 10:38 pm

WOO HOO!!! OH BABY!!!! PHILS AT 500!!!

HI-I-IGH HOPES!!!
    WE HAVE… HI-I-I-I-IGH HOPES!!!

39. "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 11, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Cmon Papelbon, Cincho but case or whatever personality you have tonight. Cards lose tonight and we get even closer. I’m so fired up! Go Phils!

40. Tracey

September 11, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Pittsburgh lost their game, but Milwaukee and St Louis are winning theirs.

41. Andrew from Waldorf

September 11, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Time for me to watch the Padres game.

Sorry for the lastest rant.
    But I havent dealt with a dullard in a while.

It isnt bashing on anyone to be realistic and point out their stats.
    I simply want to win the games.

I am not invested in any of your sacred cows. If they help the team win I like them.
    Howard facing a lefty late in a close game is not helping this team win.
    Him starting vs a lefty is also not helping this team win.

This is not a bash on your man crush or a diss.

You can goto baseball reference.com and look at the numbers yourself.
    These are called facts.

42. Andrew from Waldorf

September 11, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Pittsburgh is toast.

Liek when I used to tell you to not worry abotu the Mets when they had 9 game leads.

Cards and Bucs and Dodgers matter.

43. Ken Bland

September 11, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Sea level.

Got it.

If the Phils can get help in 1 out of 2 late games, it’ll be a good night. Pick up games on 2 opponents. Win about 4 of the next 5, Pick up 2 games on challengers in those nights, sets up a pretty good positioning for the last couple weeks.

The boys should be fired up in the clubhouse. It’s a good, good feeling.

44. schmenkman

September 11, 2012 at 10:44 pm

As you well know Andrew, Manuel did what 99% of managers would have done with their star slugger.

• Glutenous

September 11, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Maybe even 100%. I don’t think any manager is going to pinch hit for their $125mil slugger late in a close game, even if the stats suggest that they should.

45. Andrew from Waldorf

September 11, 2012 at 10:50 pm

No they wouldnt.

But you guys keep going on believeing.

And its all fine and dandy until it costs you a game or a season.

I am always reminded of the Giants sitting their 2 biggest contracts ( zito and Rowand ) to win a title.
    That could never happen here. I get that,

But a win is a win and hes gine vs righties.

• schmenkman

September 11, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Again, some evidence to back up your claims would be nice. Does Girardi PH for Cano? Does Gardenhire PH for Morneau?

46. Andrew from Waldorf

September 11, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Does Cano or Morneau have a .175 average or .325 slugging percentage vs lefties or righties?

If they did they would.

But they dont.

Just an FYI “star” players dont sport .225 averages and .725 OPSs vs both lefties and righties..

Howard hasnt been a star for several years.
    And he isnt now.

He is adequate vs right handing pitchng. Hardly feared or a star.

But the team is playing well and I am enjoying things.

I have always told the truth here. And my record of being right about things is pretty good.

I knew awhile ago they would make this run.
    And this team is more of a threat than the great 102 win team was last year.
    Why?
    Because the stale line up was shaken up.
    I liked Pence and Shane but any new blood helps.

Id been begging for a shake up for a long time.
    If it had happened with the line up last year. You wouldnt have losr in round 1 with one of the gratest staffs ever.
    This year the staff isnt nearly as good.
    But the team has more of a chance.

And if Howard was limited in his facing left handed pitchers from this day forward.
    The chances to win a world series go up.

Just a fact.

He is

47. Jeff of Nova

September 11, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Andrew,

Gotta agree, as I know that Howard has some bad numbers in certain situations, Baseball is not played or managed using a computer.

This organization has invested a lot in him, he is recovering from a big injury he is still not 100% will not be till next year. Love him, Like him, or hate him, be frustrated with him, but he has been one of the big reasons this team and organization is where it is. As a players manager like Manual he uses his instinct, the feel for the situation and such. like it or not that is what Charlie is.

Just JRoll is the lead off guy with a low On base percentage, Utley will always be our 3 hole and Howard is our 4 unless hurt.
    The best players on this team have ALWAYS been streaky, but Howard puts up 30-40+ HR 120RBIs a year when healthy… pretty sure it is not all against Right handers.

So chill out alittle they are playing well and Howard is a big reason why so is Utley.

48. Jeff of Nova

September 11, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Wait…..

Howard is not a star.

I thought you were about stats, so

09- 45/141
    10- 31/108- missed 20 games
    11- 33/116
    12- 10/40 in 55 games so you do that over 162 that is 30/120

Cano has less than that with a 300 avg depends on what you are paid to do

Howard is paid to drive in runs pretty sure he is still a star just coming back from injury.

Think there is more truth to your hatred for him than your obsessions with his avgs against Lefties.

49. Andrew from Waldorf

September 11, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I am not bashing him.

You guys can never realize that.

The contract doesnt matter. He is slugging under .325 vs lefties.
    This is not some computer stat.

It is one of the original back of baseball card stats.

And its not something new to this year.
    Remember the 3 pitch strike outs vs Athur Rhodes last year?

And yes as Howard has regressed the last 5 years his inabilty to hit lefties is more prounounced.
    The disparity wasnt always so shocking.

Last year In a full season Ryan Howard slugged .347 vs left handed pitching.

I guess there is a disconect here. Where you guys do not understand how awful and unacceptable that is.
    This was in a full year and before the injury.

So its not a 2012 thing. Its jsut actually even worse this year as the regression continues.

• schmenkman

September 11, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Andrew, to answer your question:

Cano vs. lefties: .226 avg, .287 obp, .335 slugging

Morneau vs. lefties: .231 avg, .265 obp, .308 slugging

I don’t believe they’re platooned or pinch-hit for, but maybe you know different.

50. Andrew from Waldorf

September 11, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Howard was 37th in OPs lst year before the injury.

In the NL.

Sorry but star first baseman dont rank behind 3 shoertstops in OPs
    And he was healthy.

A lot of you are living 4 or 5 years ago.

I dont hate anyone. He is a good guy. etc etc.

He helps vs riotties.
    But no he is nto a star anymore.

At least not by playing level of a first baseman.
    But yes alot of you believe he is and Wheeler and Mccarthy will certainly drill in all the positives.
    So I dont blame you guys for thinking he is.

But the cold reality is he isnt. and hes not even close.

51. Jeff of Nova

September 11, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Among all the fighting we love to do ….. good news

San Diego is now up 3-2

52. Jeff of Nova

September 11, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Make that 5-2

53. Andrew from Waldorf

September 11, 2012 at 11:32 pm

just to give you some idea of the regression.

He does have a career slugging percentage of .433 vs lefties.

But you have to understand that that includes last years.347 in a full healthy season and this years .325

His inability to hit left handed pitching is just the easiest part to see.

Sorry these things jump out at me. I know they dont to everyone.

And I am not hating or bashing either. I am analyzing.
    Big difference.
    Rollins not running to first I will hate on. This is not hate. This is watching the games for myself and seeing the obvious.

• schmenkman

September 11, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Howard’s struggles against lefties are well documented. The fact remains that rightly or wrongly, a 30-35 HR, 120 RBI slugger is still considered a star, and I challenge you to identify ONE manager who would pinch hit for him to gain a platoon advantage.

Also, I’m willing to chalk this year up to recovering from the achilles tear.

Before this year, he had been fairly consistent since 2008. This is his OPS+, or OPS relative to the league, in 2008-11:

125, 141, 127, 126

54. Andrew from Waldorf

September 11, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Ok Schenk.

Except the stats from last year before the injusry are eerily similar.
    Leyland would. And Morneau gets lots of days off and they always happen when there is a lefty on the mound.
    I am not in a need to prove anything to anyone though.

But you guys can believe you want.

I dont have favorites etc etc I just judge what I see on the field.

Remarkably the Padres are winning 5-2 in the 5th inning.

55. Ken Bland

September 12, 2012 at 6:09 am

Kershaw and Wainright both pitch, and the Phillies gain ground on both. So much for baseball atheism. Tell me the baseball gods don’t exsist.

The incredible thing, and this may well be true for other sports, is that I’m sure history is littered with contendersand late chargers playing .550 in September, but it is absolutely amazing how it feels like everyone of ’em either plays .700, or .300 during the 9th month. Can’t anyone avoid streaks? It is WEIRD. At the rate things are going, the Phils will clinch early enough to set their rotation for the play in game. No, that’s not cockiness, or delusion, it’s a statement of fact…the club is getting exactly what it wants from everyone else. Save the Freaking Braves. Maybe they shock the world today, and cool Milwaukee, winers of like 17 of 22.