2012 Gameday

Gameday: Marlins (63-80) at Phillies (71-71)

Miami Marlins (63-80) at Philadelphia Phillies (71-71)

Josh Johnson (8-11, 3.81) vs. Cliff Lee (4-7, 3.50)

Time: 4:05 PM, Citizens Bank Park
Weather: Mostly Sunny, 81
Media: Twitter and Facebook

The Phillies are back to .500!  Normally a mediocre record wouldn’t cause this much excitement, but the fact is that the Phillies are just four games behind the St. Louis Cardinals for the Wild Card.  There’s still hope!  The Phillies will try to sweep the Marlins today and make it seven straight wins.

Josh Johnson’s ERA might not be as low as it was in 2010 (2.30), but he’s still a tough pitcher, even with the injuries he has suffered. Cliff Lee has been red hot, going 2-0 with a 2.08 ERA in his last five starts.

Pyramid Ameber Weizen Your gameday beer: Pyramid Amber Weizen Ale

An amber ale with a lot of the characteristics you would find in an unfiltered wheat beer, such as Hoegaarden or Blue Moon. It’s maltier than a hefeweizen, not fruity, and has a smooth, caramel taste. Just the look of it is enticing, and it’s probably hard to find in these parts since it’s a microbrew out of Seattle, however, if you can find it, it’ll be worth your while. — Pat Gallen

Click to comment

1. DCmikey

September 12, 2012 at 3:44 pm

We can do this today!!!

C’mon Kratzy, jack one!!

2. Andrew from Waldorf

September 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Another must win for the fightins.

And even though Lee isnt yet to 5 wins in mid sept.

We can rejoice that he was once traded for Aumont.

The phillies best set up man.

3. Andrew from Waldorf

September 12, 2012 at 4:05 pm

There is nothing.
    I mean nothing,
    Like seeing the afternoon sun glistening off of Chris Wheelers hair.

If that doesnt fire a team up nothing will.

I know it just made my day.

GO PHILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Andrew from Waldorf

September 12, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Wow if Utley is out there at 3rd and the run doesnt count its very bad.

But another break for the fightins

seem like destiny may be smiling on the Phils.

5. Rick

September 12, 2012 at 6:17 pm

And Rollins continues to come up big for this stretch run. Replace him with Galvis….

6. Ken Bland

September 12, 2012 at 6:18 pm

For the secondarily inclined, one nice thing about the timing of Jimmy’s shot is Cliff could get a win. Not to mention Pete Orr’s good work. Nor Charlie’s decision to bat Orr amongst choices.

7. DCmikey

September 12, 2012 at 6:26 pm

@Ken, I don’t mind having Petey Orr play. I think he is a decent player. Absolutely better than Mary Mart.

JRoll, back on those 2007 protein shakes. I love it man!!!- he has been earning his pay as of late. 18 home runs??? If so, WOW!!! Love it

• Ken Bland

September 12, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Sometimes I’m more patient than others with Mini. When he gets to play for a stretch, you see him giving his best effort, and there’s a tendency to minimize the lack of talent. I have a suspicion he adds pretty well to the clubhouse mix, which I don’t dismiss as a non factor.

8. Andrew from Waldorf

September 12, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Thank god the GM had the sense to sign Rollins long term!

I am very scared of Houston.

They dont even have pitchers announced for these games even.
    The talk of Clemens coming in for a spot start was pretty funny.

SD game just starting.
    A nice wednesday night double header for AFW

• Ken Bland

September 12, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Cracked me up when I read “I am scared of Houston.”

9. Andrew from Waldorf

September 12, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I ve never gotten into putting down the extra players.

Over the years they have always carried their weight.

Its been the stars in the line up that have come up small in the playoffs.
    Not the Bruntletts or Valdezs or Mini marts.

Insert Jim Moras voice.

I am talking about playoffs.

10. Andrew from Waldorf

September 12, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Clayton Richard for the Padres.

A staple of my fantasy team the last few years.

11. Ken Bland

September 12, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Tell ya what, these IMPORTANT games, I don’t mind Paps gunslinger show. I used to like that with the Red Sox, because you tended to watch their important games. In June, 10 out, and the world ending, it got on my nerves, but it’s kinda fun to watch him get stoked the last week or so.

• Lefty

September 12, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I will never like the gunslinger show. I like 34 saves though.

12. Andrew from Waldorf

September 12, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Unless he hits the lead off hitter with a 2 run lead.

13. Andrew from Waldorf

September 12, 2012 at 6:42 pm

First win this.

But seriously fear houston.

This teams M.O. is to lose 2 of those 4

And you know it.

• Ken Bland

September 12, 2012 at 6:54 pm

You’re right, I’d have prolly laughed had you even downgraded it to ” respect Houston.” Giddy moment.

Huge series, for sure.

Let’s go Pads!

14. Andrew from Waldorf

September 12, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Dobbs up.

How ironic.

15. Andrew from Waldorf

September 12, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Winner Winner
    chicken dinner

5 wins for Lee.

Talking about value!!!

Hope people understand that losing players even good contributers like Pence and Victorino can help.
    I have been wanting a line up shake up for years.
    Finaly because the team was so bad the GM was forced too.

This is fun.
    Go Padres

• George

September 12, 2012 at 7:10 pm

The trades were made not because poor performance dictated them. They were made because two of the guys Vic and Blanton) were going to be free agents anyway, likely to sign elsewhere, and the other (Pence) would never be worth what he’d get in arbitration.

That’s not to say change isn’t good sometimes. I’ll save my judgement on the new players until next season.

16. Glutenous

September 12, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Sweet, sweet victory.

17. "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 12, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Obviiusly the Phils read my Han Solo quote concerning odds. Lol. I’m loving the fire and groove we are in right now. Only 3.5 out with 19 to play! What sweet karma it would be to vault over the Cardnials and replicate what they did last season. Houston will be looking to play the spoiler, but I think the surging Phils have other plans. I’m with Lefty, I love the saves not the gunslinger show. Go Phils!

18. "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 12, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Meant “obviously.”

19. Betasigmadeltashag

September 13, 2012 at 4:21 am

I am liking AFW saying how he likes the JRoll signing what a crack head. This last month the Phil’s are playing with heart and swagger. They have always thrived being underdogs and are showing it again loving the pen also. Where ate all the people who thought the guys we got for Cliff would Amont to nothing