2012 Gameday

Gameday: Nationals (93-61) vs. Phillies (78-76)

Washington Nationals (93-61) vs. Philadelphia Phillies (78-76)

John Lannan (3-0, 4.43) vs. Kyle Kendrick (10-11, 3.89)

Time: 7:05 PM, Citizens Bank Park
TV: CSN
Weather: Partly Cloudy, 60
Media: Twitter and Facebook

We’re down to just eight games left in the season, and only two on the home schedule. If you haven’t been to a game yet, now is the time. Just a wear a jacket, it’s getting chilly.

It’s another lefty on the mound for the Nationals, John Lannan. You know him well. He’s plunked a Phillie or two over the years and has turned into the replacement for a shelved-Stephen Strasburg.

For the Phillies, Kyle Kendrick gets the ball and looks to finish the season off strong. It’s been a positive second half for Kendrick and with a couple of good starts to end 2012, he could play himself into a full-time role in the rotation.

The Nationals magic number remains at five to win the East. Also, Roy Halladay is slated to start on Saturday after having a positive bullpen session. It will his final start of 2012.

Your Gameday BeerPost Road Pumpkin Ale

This pumkin ale is more my speed. It doesn’t have that strong hit of allspice and nutmeg that sends my chest into freakout mode. It’s much more subdued. Post Road, made by Brooklyn Brewery, is called a beginners pumpkin beer by the smart-asses on Beer Advocate. Well, consider me beginning to drink one.  – Pat Gallen

GO PHILLIES!

Click to comment

1. pamikedc

September 26, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Old Kyle or new Kyle….I’ll give him Credit- bc he has been awesome the 2nd half…a 2-0 first inningis ok for Old Kyle- let’s call old Kyle-” Kylie”

2. pamikedc

September 26, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Not
    That I care but where has Mary Mart been? Still on the bench or sent down?

September 26, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Jesus I wish I could get the Philllies feed. That pompous ass Bob Carpenter is one of the reasons I can’t stand them, Mike.

I assume you have the same have to listen to him and Santangelo ( another ass ) too?

• Ken Bland

September 26, 2012 at 7:39 pm

You aren’t missing much on the Phils feed. Wheeler did a schpiel on how nice it would be for all if Halladay pitches well Saturday, and everyone can take a positive feeling into the off season. Not my style of thinking, so I wasn’t into it.

You mentioned before not liing Carpenter, but hadn’t mentioned Santangelo. I like Santangelo. Wondered how you felt about his work. I’d include why I like him, but can’t remember.

Looks like a long night.

• Lefty

September 27, 2012 at 8:00 pm

There are many things I don’t like about FP.

One example is last night in the bottom of the eighth when Davey Johnson put Clippard in to pitch instead of the lefty they had warming in the seventh- with Utley and Howard coming up. The results ( although Howard had nothing to with them) were predictable, with the Phils close to coming back to take the lead. But instead of talking about that – as Dibble would have- he’s going on and on about how Charlie Manuel didn’t put Juan Pierre in to run for Chooch. It turned out he saved Pierre to run for Ruf, but none of that should have been important to Nationals fans anyway with their set up man in serious trouble.

The other thing is, FP was once a juicer and I don’t like cheaters, (and BTW that includes Mr. Galvis.)

If you care to read about it, it’s mentioned here, I’m too lazy to find the original links-

• chuck schreiber

September 27, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Lefty, I didn’t know if others felt the same about that smug asshole Carpenter. I’m down here in DC (Virginia) so I get to listen to him if I want to. Most times I turn the sound off as he’s smugness is just too much for me, it gets me yelling at the TV. He just loves to rub in the positions this year in the standings between the two teams and seems to forget that prior to this year they were our BITCH, in fact we have I think a one game lead in head to head this year if I’m not mistaken and earlier in year when they were way ahead in head to head he was really too F—-g much.

4. pamikedc

September 26, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Kylie Kendrick on the mound tonight I see…3 homers served so far.

We can blame the Astros potpie all we wanted, but regardless we had braves, Nats, fins, Nats to end the season- NOT FAVORABLE in the least.

Whereas the cards had (have) Elroy Jetsons Astros 6 times (w the cubbies sprinkled in there I believe).

2013!!

• Joey Spagna

September 26, 2012 at 8:59 pm

So what? Play good teams in the end or beginning or middle. It’s all the same.

5. Ken Bland

September 26, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Everyone lovs jumping Rizzo for the Strasburg thing, and that’s fine, they may prove right. May not, too, but I’ll tell ya what. He sure as hell seems to have timed Harper’s arrival well.
    Where would the Nats be if they hadn’t called him up early. Might be better, it’s possible, but might also be inversely 4 back of the Braves, facing a 1 game playoff. aybe Rizzo knows what he’s doing.

Good night, Kyle. As in zzzzz, not a GOOD NIGHT. Now if THAT guy throws another good game, THEN it might give people more reason to be + for his next year.

• EricL

September 27, 2012 at 12:22 am

I think it was a big organizational mistake to call up Harper as early as they did. Had they waited a few more months they would have gotten another year of arbitration eligibility out of him, which is going to cost them MILLIONS of dollars down the road.

• Lefty

September 27, 2012 at 7:10 am

IMO- That’s Irrelevant your honor, er EricL. The Nationals de facto assistant GM, Scott “Mike and I built this team” Boras, will assure that he is signed to a lucrative extension long before he reaches Super 2.

• EricL

September 27, 2012 at 10:09 am

Maybe, but I find it a little difficult to believe that Boras will allow the Nats to buy out any free agent years unless he gets them to massively overpay, which isn’t good for the Nationals either. He knows how lucrative Harper will be as soon as he hits the open market and teams like LA/NY/BOS etc. can freely bid on him. He’s got another 2000 A-Rod type situation on his hands if he plays it right, which I think he will.

• Lefty

September 27, 2012 at 12:40 pm

And I understand your reasonable line of thinking. But with the Nationals, Boras seems to be trying a new tactic, one that would put him into a different stratosphere of agents.

Think about this- Why did LeBron James leave Cleveland? Because he correctly thought he could get a super paycheck, and win a championship in Miami. Same for Bosh- and although many others have tried and failed, they were all after the same thing, BOTH top dollar and a championship.

Boras has already proven he can get any athlete top dollar, it’s why so many sign with him. But if he succeeds in becoming a championship builder along with his well deserved reputation of getting guys the most money, all the other agents become Jerry Maguire.

6. Mike

September 26, 2012 at 8:03 pm

And thus ends the tale of Kyle Kendrick the ace.

7. Devin

September 26, 2012 at 8:16 pm

There’s the KK we know and love! Although honestly it makes me wonder: I know Chooch is a great game caller, but didn’t KK’s success come pretty much exclusively with other catchers? Some catchers and pitchers just aren’t a match, maybe we shouldn’t be starting those two together anymore.

• chuck schreiber

September 27, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Yeah, Dev thats the reason he gave up those “taters”…..Cooch is catching, really.

8. Andrew from Waldorf

September 26, 2012 at 8:52 pm

At least I have Bryce Harper on my fantasy team and its championship week!

Funny how I have predicted the Phillies finsih 2 years in a row now.

Win WS lose WS lose NLCS lose NLDS dont make playoffs.

I dont post much in off season. Instead of specualating at moves I am better at analyzing the moves that are made.

I will tell you all that the team will continue to regress as long as Ruben Minaya Jr. Is the Phillies GM.

Enjoy the off season guys.

9. Andrew from Waldorf

September 26, 2012 at 8:52 pm

4 years not 2

Take care Ken and Brooks and Lefty

• Ken Bland

September 27, 2012 at 7:36 am

Back atcha, AFW. At least we had some fun the last few weeks, and at least you won that Met bet. Rock on.

10. pamikedc

September 26, 2012 at 9:27 pm

@Joey, I agree sort of. If we had say…the mets, cubs, mets, marlins we could have ran the table.

So, not sure what you mean. Having them all in a row is what I’m saying

11. pamikedc

September 26, 2012 at 9:54 pm

1st
    And 3rd…c’mon Fransden. Strikeout. Ugh!!!

Clipnerd is good, but so close…top 9….let’s complete this comeback!!

12. Tracey

September 26, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Argh… this was looking good for a few minutes…

13. Tracey

September 26, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Are you kidding me???

14. Tracey

September 26, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Chipped a 5 run deficit down to just one run, and now they’re down 8-4???

15. pamikedc

September 26, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Failed experiment w De Fratus. Great pressure situation test to see if Justin De FailedUS can make the team next season. He OBViously needs more work w the IronPigs. I’m totally okay w Charlie made that move.

Who gives a loop poop if we win this game or not. Let’s try potential players in different situations.

Kylie Kendrick lost the game for us. U KNOW YOU STILL have your doubts w him. Hopefully he can be an above .500 guy for us next season.

• EricL

September 27, 2012 at 12:28 am

Uh, no, De Fratus is fine. He got unluck with the pop that Pierre couldn’t handle and Werth’s grouner had eyes. There are very few Kimbrel and Chapman type relievers around who don’t give up anything. De Fratus is still a very valuable player who has performed very well so far this season (in an extremely small sample size). This year he’s averaging 8.7ish K/9, which is excellent, and came into the game with a 1.17 ERA and a 2.45 FIP. Further, in 21 minor league innings this year he was superb, posting a 2.49 ERA/2.78 FIP while striking out 9.14 batters per nine innings versus only 1.25 walks per 9.

He’s an excellent option out of the pen. Sometimes everyone has a bad/unlucky game. This was his.

16. Tracey

September 26, 2012 at 10:30 pm

bleh

17. Andrew from Waldorf

September 27, 2012 at 12:56 pm

The Mets bet was never in question.

And it shouldnt be this year either.

Unless Ruben and Charlies incompetence is stronger than I know.
    Which i possible.

18. doctorbones

September 28, 2012 at 10:45 am

As an orthopedic surgeon, I can tell you there’s nothing wrong with Halliday’s shoulder. The latissimus dorsi muscle which is allegedly responsible for his not being able to pitch, is not true. I think he just lost it. He just doesn’t have the pin point control he used to have.

Another major thing wrong with the Phillies is Charlie. Managing a baseball team is not only about righty vs. lefty percentages.

Also, the Phillies should try to trade Howard who will never understand what it takes to be a real hitter. Sure he can hit it out of the park, but that is not what make a good hitter. For example, you can tell him that the next pitch is going to be a slider, and he still couldn’t hit it. He stands too far back in the box-pure and simple.