Gameday: Phillies (72-72) at Astros (46-98) – Phillies Nation
2012 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (72-72) at Astros (46-98)

Philadelphia Phillies (72-72) at Houston Astros (46-98)

Cole Hamels (14-6, 3.03) vs. Edgar Gonzalez (2-0, 1.74)

Time: 8:05 p.m at Minute Maid Park
Weather: Cloudy, 82
TV:Comcast Sportsnet
Media: Twitter and Facebook

The Astros ended the Phillies winning streak last night.  The Phillies could not hold onto a four run lead.  The goal is to start a new winning streak.  The Phillies can’t afford to fall back under .500 again.

Philadelphia has a lot of confidence in Cole Hamels, who is looking for his 15th win, which would be a career high.  Since July 27, Hamels is 3-1 with a 2.26 ERA.  During that time frame, opponents are hitting just .229 with a .571 OPS against him.

Edgar Gonzalez was just recently promoted from Triple-A, and has succeed so far.  Last night, the Phillies left a lot of men on base; tonight, the Phillies need to capitalize and drive in runners.

Your Gameday Beer – Troegs Dead Reckoning Porter

Get ready for some potent porter pungency. Troegs Dead Reckoning is unfiltered and weighs in at 5.8% abv and 53 IBU’s. It features Pilsner, Caramel, Chocolate and Roasted malts along with Chinook and Vanguard hops. Dark, thick, chocolatey; eat it with steak and potatoes. –By Pat Gallen

GO PHILLIES!

Click to comment

1. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 7:59 pm

About as close to a must win as you can get.

With Cole starting have to win this.

2. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Nice to see the pitcher still sporting a higher batting average than the first baseman.

Come on Phils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Tracey

September 14, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Three runs before the first out. Do I dare to get hopeful?

4. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 8:26 pm

This pitcher has nothing.

Absolutely no excuses now.

5. Ken Bland

September 14, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I don’t wanna put pressure on any one, or any team, but you lose 4-0 leads twice in a row to this Houston club, and you can more than amplify the Not Houston, Not now theme.

Nice to see RyHo come back from 0-2 to get a double. Not one of his better counts to come back from.

6. Tracey

September 14, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Hmn… probably shouldn’t get too hopeful…

7. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Pirates lost again .
    they are cooked.

Mets actually winning vs the Brewers.

Brewers are biggest threat to phils IMO

They are going to be there

• Ken Bland

September 14, 2012 at 8:46 pm

It’s fascinating the way Weeks finally woke up. What a horrific year. Get that guy going, and a rejuvinated Axford, and they are definitely a player. But it’s the Cards to lose to me.

8. Jaron B

September 14, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Uh… line-up anyone?

• Lefty

September 14, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Jaron, just in case it ever happens again you can use this

• Ken Bland

September 14, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Just that lineup page alone makes that site a keeper. That’s good stuff.

• Lefty

September 14, 2012 at 9:16 pm

It’s great for fantasy. Lineups start showing up about two hours before games.

9. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Does the old man know you can use a different line up every day?

10. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Wheeler is cracking me up tonight.

He is something.

11. Tracey

September 14, 2012 at 8:57 pm

WHEW!!! This is a slow-moving, messy game…

12. Ken Bland

September 14, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Two runs this inning. Check local listings for details. Lets go, Phils.

13. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Sometimes they have line ups up at 2 or 3 pm.

and I dont like this.

Letting them hang around again

14. Tracey

September 14, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Ooo… some offensive life after the first!

15. Ken Bland

September 14, 2012 at 9:26 pm

With Cool Hamels now flashing a sub 3 ERA again, and multiple reasons to finish strong, I wonder what would be a good season ending ERA to shoot for. 2.70 would be outstanding. That’d mean 4 darned good starts the rest of the way. 2.70 it shall be.

#Importantstuff

16. Tracey

September 14, 2012 at 9:29 pm

yuck

17. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I hate always being right.
    I knew this series was so problematic for so many reasons.

And way to jinx him Ken!

You owe me a beer like Lefty does.

• Ken Bland

September 14, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Andrew, you collect more beers than this site lists ’em. And I did NOT jinx him. His ERA stayed under 3 for 15.8 seconds.

Scale of 1-10, 10 the most what’s the worry number now with them hanging around even more.

I’ll play the 5 number. Maybe 5.5

• Ryne Duren

September 14, 2012 at 9:50 pm

i had a bad feeling last night . even though they came out like gangbusters after the next few innings i’m screaming don’t let em hang there boys! and then boom.
      and now tonight i got a bad feeling. i hope not man.

September 14, 2012 at 9:39 pm

We just have to keep scoring, no one is just going to just bow to our starters.

Andrew hold your breath, the beer will be right there. pffffft.

19. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I am very worried.

Phils need to get it to 8 runs scored for me to feel good.

20. pamikedc

September 14, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Phils stop playing down to your competition!!

I’m in Delaware tonight and can listen to te game. Whyyy would the Phils put Chase at 3rd and put Fransden at 2nd. Pointless. Fransden is 10000% better than steroids using Galvis. Bc the Sarge just said that on tv.

Phils lost their focus Thursday night. No crowd. Low energy. Can’t afford that.

• Ken Bland

September 14, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Why is the new screen name not DeMikedc if you’re in Delaware?

I have actually been intruiged by the lack of redneck (that actually isn’t fair, it’s not right to call steroid reaction unjust, it’s flat out cheating a lot of times), reaction to the fact that the Phils have given Fransden a chance, and that he’s doing a good job has people ignoring that he got nailed for 50 games for PEDS. Almost hate to bring it up, but if you’re gonna rip Galvis, gotta stay fair and objective.

Fransden is a natural 2B, fwiw.

21. pamikedc

September 14, 2012 at 9:49 pm

DCmikey retired…..this is still ME…..

Ending w 6 vs Nats and 3 vs Atl- THAT IS HUGE!!!!!!! We need these 3 vs Houston and the. 2/3 vs the mets. Bc we KNOW we won’t defeat Dickey on Monday, unless Lee has a SO.

• Ryne Duren

September 14, 2012 at 9:52 pm

the phils must pound dickey monday! wait … they did that last night! never mind.

• Ken Bland

September 14, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Ryne Duren putting in an in game appearance. Just in time to buy Andrew a beer when the Phils get run number 8.

Good timing.

22. Tracey

September 14, 2012 at 9:52 pm

OH BABY!!!

23. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Wow Ruiz.

I am always reminded that when the Phillies won the WS he was a minus WAR palyer.

Making the stat completely useless forever.

24. pamikedc

September 14, 2012 at 9:56 pm

@Lefty, I have no clue how to send or accept friend requests on here. Hmmm…

I tried on the bottom of the site, but
    It just kept refreshing the page. I love you guys here at PN!!!

25. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Wow that was a bomb

Keep scoring fightins

26. Ken Bland

September 14, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Da Mets add a run. Crew probably got em right where they want ’em, Mets 5, Crew 2, T6.

Phils could pass Crew, and Bucs in 1 day. Whoop-dee-doo, I guess.

• Tracey

September 14, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Yup, now all we need is the Dodgers and the Cards to split their series, keep either of them from pulling out in front.

• Ken Bland

September 14, 2012 at 10:14 pm

If you thought that thru, and think that’s best, that’s cool, but I think you want the Dodgers to win the next 3. Not that schedules are a be all and end all, but LA has a tougher schedule the rest of the way by a decent margin. You’d rather chase them, and if the Phils win the next 3, they’d trail LA by only 2. They’d trail the Cards by 1, but I think that would be a bigger deficit.

27. Tracey

September 14, 2012 at 10:01 pm

bleh

28. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Scratch out the 8

Ill be comfortable at 10

• Tracey

September 14, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Oh, Andrew, we all know you will never be comfortable. 🙂

29. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I am about to put the Dodgers game on as the second option during commercials. I am hoping they( the dodgers) win tonight.

Mets are winning beating the Brewers.

30. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 10:20 pm

If they hire Bowa to manage this team I hope he doesnt stroke out.

I will be at the track tomorrow Ken so you will have to say some of the mean things I say for me. Hope they can win without me.

Its funny as I am probably the most traditional old school person.
    But I dont enjoy Vin Scully so I am watching the Cardinals feed.

Its not so much hes bad as I jsut dont like the 1 man booth.

• Ken Bland

September 14, 2012 at 10:29 pm

like many, enjoy Vin, and appreciate the longetivity, and consistency, but I do think he talks too much, would prolly find him even better with the right partner, and sometimes his stories, usually terrific are delivered in too much of a scripted fashion for me. But the man is terrific. cards TV is weak. Cards radio is outstanding.

Good luck at the track.

I was quite surprised Bowa even interviewed for that, but I understand the missing the uniform. That’s a helluva pull.

You might want 10, but 9 looks fine. My worry number is 2.75. let’s go Phils! Maybe have a really fresh Paps for tomorrow.

#rambling

31. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Home run Yadier Molina

All of my fantasy teams are namds the Molina brothers.

Because of how that family haunts the Mets franchise.

• Ken Bland

September 14, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Lefty pointed out not being far from MVP congestion between Yaddie, Chooch and Posey, and I finally figured out as close as I’m aware of three great catchers at the same time, albeit not quite 3 MVP’s necessarily. Bench, Ted Simmons and Manny Sanguillen. Maybe similar when Berra and Campy played. That Molina family is something else.

• Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I remember once even the skelled 3rd Molina brother beat the Mets when he was with the Yankees I think lol

Wasnt Simmons mainly an offensive catcher?

I havent had a tirade abotu Piazza in awhile.

And the people who think he was great and or a hall of famer.
        He couldnt even by on my team.
        Should have been in left like Burrell or a DH.

I remember they tried to make him a first baseman and he couldnt even play first!
        Got to be the only major leaguer ever who couldnt.

• Ken Bland

September 14, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Simmons was definitely an offensive catcher. He wasn’t terrible defensively, but no way would you rate him higher than average, a stretch in and of itself. But a terrific hitter.

Sanguillen wasn’t terrific defensively either.

32. pamikedc

September 14, 2012 at 10:33 pm

YES- no Dickey. He pitches Sunday.

Sorry, 1 game at a time

September 14, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Interesting, right after Brown’s home run, I switched to Brewers game real quick and the first thing I hear is “the Phillies tacked on two on a dominic Brown home run”. They are worried about us.

34. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Carpenter homered also.

Dodgers are proving that big contracts dont always help.

I dont see them as a factor either really.

35. pamikedc

September 14, 2012 at 10:38 pm

@Ken Bland,

I’m from Pa, in DE now.

I’m sorry about Fransden, I never knew that. My bad man.
    And Kevin is a hittin machine.

And Nevermind, DICKEY is pitching vs US on Monday

36. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 10:38 pm

@ Lefty the Nats people are scared to death of us.

They so badly hope we dont make the playoffs.

September 14, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Of course their scared, with all the trash talking they’ve been doing all f’n year. I can’t stand them or their boy scout troop leader Bob Carpenter.

• Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Bob Carpenter is the worst broadcaster Ive ever seen or heard on any level.

I actually am embarrassed for him when I watch their broadcasts.
      Makes Wheeler look like a Mensa member.

38. Ken Bland

September 14, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Dbacks losing , too, which can’t hurt.

Meanwhile, what a slow game, even without Papelbon. This Houston team invigorates ya.

39. Ken Bland

September 14, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Hands up AFW…^5 ^5

Ryne owes you a beer

September 14, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I replayed it 4 times, I don’t think Utley touched the plate.

41. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 11:00 pm

4-1 cards

Capuano struggling

2 run homer halladay

42. Ken Bland

September 14, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Like to see Ruf get an at bat tonight. maybe even bang one. Icing on the cake type shot.

43. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 11:11 pm

2 run homer
    Eithier

44. Andrew from Waldorf

September 14, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Winner winner chicken dinner

abreau up for the Dodgers

45. Andrew from Waldorf

September 15, 2012 at 12:14 am

Luis Cruz 3 run homer

Dodgers up 6-4

46. list games skidrow

September 21, 2012 at 8:58 am

I have been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or blog posts in this sort of space . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this website. Studying this info So i’m satisfied to exhibit that I’ve a very good uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I most without a doubt will make certain to do not overlook this site and provides it a look on a continuing basis.