2012 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (79-79) vs. Marlins (67-91)

Philadelphia Phillies vs. Miami Marlins

Time: 1:10 PM, Marlins Park
TV: PHL17
Weather: Partly Cloudy, 80
Media: Twitter and Facebook

Just four games remain for the Phillies this year and they need this one if they want to make the push for a .500 season.

Funny how quickly things change. It feels like just yesterday we were celebrating a playoff berth, then a World Series title, then another trip to the Fall Classic. The Phillies have fallen on hard times, but it’s no time to abandon ship. Just remember you’ll be pining for baseball in about a month, so soak it all in now while you still can.

It will also be the final time you’ll see Cole Hamels on a mound until 2013. It’s a joy watching him pitch and I think I speak for many when I say it’ll be nice having him around for the long haul.

After last night’s long one in Miami, I’m sure the players will be swinging early and often, so watch for Hamels to go deep.

Your Gameday Beer – Great Lakes Oktoberfest

The tasty beverage is from Ohio but is available around the northeast and midwest, winning several brewing awards in the past ten years. The beer brings it at 6.5%, but is so tasty that you wont recognize the alcoholic content. Enjoy.- Pat Gallen

GO PHILLIES!

Click to comment

1. BART SHART

September 30, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I would love to see the Phils finish strong, and we finish at two games above .500.

2. Ken Bland

September 30, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I missed the consistency of the defense this year. A Phillie forte during the last few years. 2 outs at the plate will bring back some memories of Gold Glove days. Good stuff there.

3. Ken Bland

September 30, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Trivial point that it is, although its all about trivial points the rest iof the way, it looks like the lowest Cole can drop his ERA to is 3.03. Not too shabby. But, he’s already at 214.1 innings for the year, and you look at his numbers across the board and that it’s over 200 innings, it’s a job well done. Not a serious CY contender, but close enough that his career card adds another representative year in the CY vote, plus an all-star team as he quietly keeps climbing up someday HOF possibilities. He’s now close to light years clearly the best lefthander the Phils ever drafted, leaving a very respectable Chris Short pretty far behind.

• Ken Bland

September 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm

If Cliff throws 8 shutout innings on Wednesday, his ERA would be 3 flat. That’d give him 214 innings. You think about some of the things that didn’t go right for him, support, defense, periodic self blowups, and they are part of the game, but it shows how he wasn’t THAT far from a really excellent year. But that’s assuming a vintage level start for his finale. We’ll see if he can touch the 3 mark. Be a nice way tio shut it down.

• Lefty

September 30, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Cliff may have had the strangest season for a starter in MLB history. I don’t know what else he could have done, hit some homers maybe?

• Lefty

September 30, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Wha Wha WHAT? Oh wait, best lefthander ever “drafted”, never mind.

• Ken Bland

September 30, 2012 at 4:31 pm

such a long video. Have you no resopect for my valuble time?

Yes, drafted. Calm down. But it puts perspective on a discussion start of last year between myself and one of the great, passionate Phillie fans, Ernest P. Worley over his then statement that Cole already owned that honor, and I still thought it was the stylish lefthander. To settle the debate, and not knowing that the father of the Seidman boys had already done so by siding with me, I called Bowa on the Fanatic, and joining us in Senior Citizenship, he sided with me. Now, 2 strong years later, Cole is clearly the man, proving that Ernest P.Worley was a man ahead of his time.

Maybe Cliff will hit 2 shots his final start. And lose 3-2. It would figure.

4. Ken Bland

September 30, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Well, the Phillies may not have steak and lobster to play for against Washington, but they sure have a good meal to play for now.

At least I’m assuming the Cards go on to beat the Nats, leading 9-4 in the 5th.

Last year, of course, with virtually zero at stake, they swept the Braves to alter the face of history by completing the Brave debacle. That lead holds up in St. Loo, and the Nat magic number will stay at one while they host the Phils, and the Braves play at Pittsburgh with a chance pending to play for .500 baseballby sweeping the Atlanta club. So some drama remains, with the Braves having Kris Medlin nicely set up for their first playoff game, and the Nats having Strasburg nicely set for Opening Day, version 2013.

But that American League is where the drama really lives. Joe Nathan blows a save, and the heart of the Angels take a 1 run lead into the bottom of the 9th, keeping their fledging hopes alive. The Yanks appear on the road to a comeback win, reversing a 5-2 deficit, now leading in the 9th over the Jays, 9-5, and no question, that’s a big win if they get it because the Orioles have already started playioff baseball. Winners today, sweeping Boston, they now head for Tampa, with their own feint hopes alive, and this loosey goosey Oriole bunch will have their work cut out for them. No David Price, but for all their good work, all the Orioles have done is earned a chance to compete. I doubt coolstandings.com thinks this way, but I figure the O’s are 50-50 to make the playoffs, and they are past having a terrific year if they don’t make it. You get this far, and still control your destiny, it’s pressure to make it. Maybe they win 10-0 in Game 1, but with the Angels winning Game 1 now, and perhaps tonight in a makeup, the breathing down the O’s neck is gonna be intense. And Oakland, with a win against Seattle today is still 1 of 2 clubs the Angels muct catch, but the upstart A’s can look up and see an incredible chance to win the division outright in hosting thir 3 game wrap against Texas.

I would assume that even if there is no baseball Thursday, Wednesday will be entertaining plus. And the Phils may be in it peripherally, with their own winning record at stake.

• Lefty

September 30, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I went to Camden Yards last night, electric atmosphere and a close game. Even though I had no dog in the fight, I still can appreciate the team they put together there while spending very little. A buddy of mine called and had an extra ticket so I went. The fans sitting around us could not have been nicer considering my Phillies cap and his Red Sox gear. There was even a Yankee fan in the row behind us just to spice things up. I think the extra wildcard has done everything it was meant to do, leaving an exciting last 3-4 games for us baseball nuts.

Sure wish my Phils were in this mix, but can’t complain about five straight division titles, it was a really good run.

I don’t know if you saw this but the Orioles ( I get their feed due to close proximity to Baltimore) were all standing on the field watching the bog screen hoping that Nathan could close out the Angels and then they could pop some corks, but Torrii Hunter came up huge to get the GW hit. If the Angels win tonight with an A’s loss, they will be one game out. I love this stuff. Oh well, we’re out to a dinner party now. Gots to go.

• Ken Bland

September 30, 2012 at 5:18 pm

No, I didn’t see the fans the cheering on the Angels. But I did see the likes of Brooks, Earl, and Palmer on the field for the statue unvieling. The game is still a lot of fun, but those times, with great teams were so special. Having youth on our side added to it, although now, that we supposedly know more about the game, it’s special in it’s own right. So on a number of fronts, you were most foirtunate to fall into a ticket. I don’t care what they draw, that is a special baseball town. I had some terrific times there, and the great Oriole teams were a privelege to watch.

• Brooks

September 30, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Went to one game at Camden Yards this year. Thoroughly enjoyed it – except for the loss – Adam Jones killed us. One of the favorite treats was the Eskay franks. The Hatfield dogs sold at CBP look like a) they are made early in the week and b) they are crushed to make room for more..
        The Eskay franks are in a paper wrapper instead of foil and the presentation gives respect to the dog…
        Ken, I grew up in Baltimore – seeing Brooks, Earl, Boog, Dave Johnson, Palmer all the time… quite the baseball town.

5. Whatever

September 30, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Cole Hamels is a great pitcher and I’m really glad he’s a Phillie. I’m also really happy Cliff Lee, another great pitcher, is a Phillie. I do feel sorry for the year he has had. No one should have to constantly pitch with almost no runs on the board for your efforts.
    Does any team in baseball have two lefthanders of the caliber of Hamels and Lee?