2012 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (80-79) vs. Nationals (96-63)

Philadelphia Phillies (80-79) at Washington Nationals (96-63)

Kyle Kendrick (10-12, 4.08) vs. John Lannan (4-0, 4.23)

Time: 7:05 PM, Nationals Park
Weather: Mostly Cloudy, 68
Media: Twitter and Facebook

Believe it or not, this is a big series for the Nationals.  The Nationals are just one win (or a Braves loss) away from clinching the National League East. If the Phillies magically sweep the Nationals, and the Braves sweep the Pirates, the whole playoff outlook might look different.  The Nationals would have to face the red hot Cardinals for a one-game playoff.  The Cards just took two out of three from the Nats last weekend.

Chances are, the Nationals clinch, but the Phillies will do their best to play spoiler. Not only are the Phillies hoping to spoil the Nationals’ chances of clinching, but they hope to finish the season above .500.

KenzingerYour Gameday Beer – Pabst Blue Ribbon

It just feels like a Pabst day. Don’t mistake it for a high-quality beer, but for a cheap case you can’t beat it. On their Wikipedia page it says, “Whether the brand actually won an award in 1893 is unclear.” My guess is, it didn’t. But enjoy it anyway, ice cold! – By Pat

Click to comment

1. Nina Hartley

October 1, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Go Phillies. At least win two more to phinish over .500.

October 1, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I hope that the Nats don’t clinch at all.. but since that is highly unlikely, I hope that when they do it’s after a loss against us (Braves losing a game).

• Brooks

October 1, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I really really like Davey Johnson.
      16 years as a manager he has finished in first place 6 times, second place 7 times. 1 WS and 1 pennant.
      The guy has a .564 overall winning percentage. I’d like to see him go all the way.

• Tracey

October 1, 2012 at 8:36 pm

If the Phillies can’t be there, I’d like to see what I’ve been calling The Beltway Series — Nats v. Orioles. Marketing executives will be throwing themselves off buildings, because that wouldn’t exactly be a ratings bonanza, but I like the idea of Underdog v. Underdog.

• Brooks

October 1, 2012 at 8:39 pm

One question I would like answered from Davey – what did he take in 1973 and was he the only one on the Braves that took it?

• Tracey

October 1, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Hey man, it was the ’70s, people were taking all kinds of things.

• Brooks

October 1, 2012 at 8:50 pm

: o

Remember Doc Medich? He used to snort cocaine before the games…

• Ryne Duren

October 1, 2012 at 10:34 pm

yo manny your dream and mine came true! it wasn’t that painful! seeing them cooped up in the dugout was good for me! at least our first we were on the field and went nuts. and we shut them out to boot!

3. Devin

October 1, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Help me with nickname ideas! John MAAAAberry Jr. or John Doubleplayberry Jr.? I want to find something that really highlights his impressive ability to put the other team on his back.

• Ryne Duren

October 1, 2012 at 10:38 pm

how about dingleberry? it don’t get any closer than that! if you get my drift.

4. Trich

October 1, 2012 at 8:07 pm

You mean like, John Maybeberry Jr.?

• Devin

October 1, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I like it.

5. Bryan

October 1, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Love this…The Ruffian is already getting intentionally walked.