Who Will You Root for in the National League? – Phillies Nation
Analysis

Who Will You Root for in the National League?

Will you back Votto and the Reds?

It’s hard to remember the last time we were without the playoffs here in Philadelphia. But such are the hard truths surrounding a mediocre Phillies team that will miss the postseason for the first time since 2006.

Now, I don’t expect you to “root” for another team to win. However, there can be favorites for a number of different reasons. Maybe you’ll silently cheer on the Giants because you like watching Buster Posey behind the plate and at the dish.

The Reds have some intriguing players like Aroldis Chapman and Joey Votto, so seeing them make it to the World Series could be fun.

It’ll be difficult to show support for the Cardinals, Braves, or Nationals, but if you do I’m sure you’ll have your reasons.

So, who will you side with in the National League playoffs?

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

———————————————————————————————————
For Eagles games and more, check out our friend’s new NFL site for betting.

Click to comment

1. EricL

October 2, 2012 at 11:16 am

Dodgers or Reds are the least loathsome teams on that list.

• George

October 2, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Probably. Each of those teams have some deserving players.

But Dodger so-called “fans” don’t deserve anything better than losing the wildcard race.

2. Don M

October 2, 2012 at 11:54 am

July 2011, I wrote an article on here.. http://philliesnation.com/archives/2011/07/who-else-do-you-like-in-the-national-league/

The Pittsburgh Pirates are my 2nd favorite, and the NY METS were my least favorite, and I listed that Washington Nationals as my #8 “favorite” NL team… about the Nats, I wrote:

8. Washington Nationals – I like underdogs, and they’d be higher if they didn’t play in the NL East. I’ll always cheer for Jayson Werth (as long as it’s not directly against the Phillies), someday soon the Nats might be serious contenders, good for them.

…Little did I know that their breakout season would be 2012, not 2013 as I expected.

Anyway, of the teams in the playoffs (or playoff hunt) this year, my list from last year needs to be revised, as I now hate the Nats and Cardinals more than I did last July. I think I’m pulling for the Reds (my predicted 2011 NLCS winners last year.. I was a year early on them).. I wouldn’t hate seeing the Braves make a run, but the Giants, Dodgers, Cards, and Nats better not do anything or i’ll rip my hair out

3. Jeff Dowder

October 2, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Nationals. They’re just beginning a nice five year run…

4. Ken Bland

October 2, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I’m pretty neutral. That’s prefernce wise, niot interest wise. Any of them winning offers a good story, and I’m a fan of good stories.

If I were to base it on best WS matchup, I think I’d lean toward the Braves and Tigers. Chipper, and to a much lesser extent Leyland’s last hurrahs going down simultaneously, and the Tiger offense against the likes of Medlin and Kimbrel might be fun. And it’s a novice matchup. That’s not Leyland news, it’s just a guess, or recognition of a possibility

A’s-Nats, after the Gio trade might be fun. I wouldn’t mind seeing Raul get a ring, although I don’t see much other satisfaction out of the Yanks winning. I always go into the post season wanting the NL to win it all, but if either the O’s or A’s get there, it’d be weird rooting against them, good a story as either is.

I always feel very comfortable with the thinking that the NL is a better place when the Cincy Reds are good. Makes a guy like me feel good, as it draws similarity of sorts to Machine Days during younger times. Plus, he didn’t pitch, but Madson’d get a ring, and I’m a big fan of his.

It’s just not the same as Phillie presence, but it’s still good stuff.

5. Cappy

October 2, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Nats all the way. Is there possibly a budding rivalry between us? Sure. But the key word there is “budding”. We’re not still releasing years of pent up resentment after being beaten by them 14 times in a row. On the contrary, in recent years we’ve built our division titles on the corpses of dozens of Nats losses. I think of them more as a younger brother who’s finally coming into his own after being picked on for years. Best case scenario, we send them into the playoffs by sweeping them, as if to say, “Hey, good job kid. Good luck out there this October. Just don’t forget where you came from and don’t start sulking when we go back to kicking your butt next year.”

6. schmenkman

October 2, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Giants — Cody Ross, the Beard, Eli Whiteside – NO
    Braves — tomahawk chop, wife cheatin’ Hooters waitress boinking huge jerk Chipper – NO
    Nationals — Natitude, “fake tough” Rizzo – NO
    Cardinals — it’s too soon – NO

Also, wife beatin’ Cox and smarter-than-thou, great-face-to-punch Larussa are still contaminating their old teams in my mind.

The Dodgers are not objectionable, and have Victorino and Blanton, but need a miracle to get in (they win 2, Cards lose 2, and they beat Cards in the one-game playoff).

That leaves the Reds.

• Lefty

October 2, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Great minds…..

Well – mine’s probably not a great as yours, but you get the point. Good comment.

• George

October 2, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Nice comment, Schmenkman. I particularly liked your description of LaRussa. Very, very accurate.

I can’t go along with your assessment of the Dodgers, though, even though Blanton and Victorino play there. (They may not for very much longer.) I used to live out there and met way too many smug Dodger fans who didn’t know their you-know-whats from 1st base, and even in a tie game would leave when their favorite TV show was about to begin.

7. Chuck A.

October 2, 2012 at 1:17 pm

No National League team. Can’t deal with any of them. I’ll be “rooting” for in this order:

Orioles
    Tigers
    A’s
    Rangers
    Yankees (and I won’t hate it if they win, either. Raul and Ichiro deserve rings)

• Lefty

October 2, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I’d really hate for the Rangers to be forever known as the Buffalo Bills. For that reason, I think that’s who I’ll root for. But I have to say that after my visit to Camden Yards the other night, the birds are a close second.

• Ken Bland

October 2, 2012 at 3:18 pm

On the surface, that’s a nice choice, and makes for avoidance of feeling someone else’s pain. And I wouldn’t wish pain on Nolan Ryan, John Daniels, or either of the Maddux brothers. But deeper than that, with a lot of personal feeling and opinion involved, nor would I be thrilled with a Rangers win.

The Rangers play just about literally across the street from the only team in sports I hate, and in particular their fans. You talk about stupid, smug provincial fans. One playoff win in 465 years now, but the story is always the 5 time Super Bowl titles. And this no doubt lures many of their players to root for this team, and of course, many Ranger fans are Cowboy fans. Michael Young and Mike Adams in particular are huge Cowboy fans. So in that regard, that bandwagon is all yours. Despite all that, Dirk is hard to not root for, but the Rangers have that marketability handicap in winning me over.

Cockroaches. Ain’t no fan like a Cowboy fan. Howard Eskin managing to rack up brownie points.

8. Chris

October 2, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I’ll be rooting for the Braves only for Chipper to finally win a World Series.

9. Brooks

October 2, 2012 at 1:41 pm

@Chris – I would not mind seeing the Braves get to the WS, only to fall short again.
    Nothing against Chipper, honestly.
    The Orioles are an enigma. Of late, they have been riding the coatails of Chris Davis (until last night he was hitting .500 with 5 hrs in his last 7 games) and before then it was Reynolds who hit a ton of hrs in a 15 day stretch. I think they will be eliminated early but great storyline.
    I would have cheered on the Angels but will reset my hopes on the Rangers. Anyteam that can make the big dance 3 years in a row should come away with at least 1 ring.

10. Adam

October 2, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Chipper has a ring… do your research.

• Brooks

October 2, 2012 at 5:37 pm

From 1995 until 2005 that is quite a stretch for the post season -3 WS appearances and 1 ring. I would like to see them in the big dance, coming up short, again.

11. Dave P

October 2, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Dodgers first….then reds/cards/braves.

12. Stuart

October 2, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I personally want to see the Braves make the World Series, but lose to whoever they play (unless its the Yanks) I just want to see Chipper get one last run in honor of a great career.

13. MarkP

October 2, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Nationals. They haven’t been around and serious long enough for me to have developed a strong dislike for them (unlike the Braves), they’re a Cinderella story (since nobody expected them to amount to anything until next year at least), and I can think of it as the revenge of the (much abused) Expos. The Orioles or the A’s in the AL, I guess.

But it’s a bitter pill to swallow, not having post-season activity in Philadelphia!

14. bacardipr

October 2, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I have to pick the Reds.

15. MarkP

October 2, 2012 at 4:35 pm

One more thing — I listed the Nats, O’s, and A’s because they’re all Cinderella stories in one way or another. But you can’t have two Cinderella teams in the WS, or else it’s just “no good teams playing in the WS this year”. So, Nationals beat the Yankees would be a fun story line.

16. Tracey

October 2, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I am hoping for what I called first: The Beltway Series. Nationals v. Orioles. Underdog v. Underdog. The advertisers would throw themselves from the rooftops because the ratings would probably be terrible, but I want to see it.

17. Nancy

October 3, 2012 at 7:06 am

Actually I plan to root for the Orioles in the playoffs now that the Phillies are out of it.

Also, after seeing the highlights from last night’s Yankees (boo) game, tell me again why we gave up Rauuuuul Ibanez!

18. natswatter

October 3, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I really want to see the Braves beat St. Louis and then eliminate the Gnats but I guess I am dreaming! I actually don’t want a National League team to win!