Wigginton and Contreras options declined, Ruiz renewed for 2013

If the Philadelphia region survives the onslaught from Hurricane Sandy, Carlos Ruiz will be the Phillies starting catcher in 2013. The team declined options on Ty Wigginton and Jose Contreras, opting to buy out their contracts. A similar fate is expected for Placido Polanco. Juan Pierre and Brian Schneider were granted Free Agency.

From the Phillies:

The Phillies picked up the $5 million club option on [Ruiz’s] contract for next season. The Phillies had a $500,000 buyout, but there was no way they were going to take that. Ruiz hit .325 with 32 doubles, 16 home runs, 68 RBIs and a .935 OPS in 114 games this season.

The Phillies also have club options for Jose Contreras ($2.5 million or $500,000 buyout) and Ty Wigginton ($4 million or $500,000 buyout), and a $5.5 million mutual option (or a $500,000 buyout) with Placido Polanco. The Phillies are expected to take the buyouts for each of those players.

Juan Pierre and Brian Schneider also became free agents, although neither is likely to be back in Philadelphia.

Sorry for such a short, nondescript mention of these roster moves. But, I felt it necessary to inform you all of this even under more important circumstances.

Stay safe everyone.

Click to comment

1. bacardipr

October 29, 2012 at 2:29 pm

This aint my money but was a club option necessary for Contreras ? I still have a feeling Brian is a threat to come back to Philly if Ruiz/Kratz get hurt. You know Rube has him on speed dial.

• Jeff Dowder

October 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm

At least RAJ was shrewd enough to lock Laynce Nix up to two guaranteed years. No pesky options to deal with there.

October 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Contreras surprises me a little. I mean, he’s only like 54 years old, right?

3. bacardipr

October 29, 2012 at 4:42 pm

No one really knows Lefty….maybe older…lol…

4. Ken Bland

October 29, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Polly got nixed as well. Not surprising at 5.5 mil. Personally, I don’t think Ruben will rush to sign him at a reduced rate to the point where he doesn’t have a chance to shop his services. Nobody will rush to sign him, but come January, maybe his market gets a little warm, and we’ll see if Ruben thinks he’s worth a mil or so. If it’s over, which I kinda doubt, it was a terrific run.

5. George

October 29, 2012 at 7:36 pm

These were all moves that needed to be made. Pierre might be good on a budget contract, but that probably won’t happen because some other team will bid for his services, The Phils need outfield space to try out some new players. I just hope they find someone who can do the job.

6. bacardipr

October 29, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I just didnt see the sense in Polly’s state to resign him for that amount. Even for RAJ this would of been a questionable move. Now if RAJ finds himself desperate enough he may put a bid on Polly and try to bring him back at a cheaper rate. Then again Polly may never play again who knows. Im pretty sure Polanco days as a everyday starting 3B/2B is past.

7. Jaron B

October 30, 2012 at 10:28 am

They’ve also declined the option on Polly’s contract. With these moves, 33 players are on the 40-man roster. They have 21 days to protect up to four to seven players from being susceptible to the Rule 5 Draft.

8. CS

October 30, 2012 at 10:51 am

We need to kee Pierre! I’m really disapointed!

9. DCmikey

October 30, 2012 at 11:08 am

All very obvious moves.

The article stated that the Phils declined Polys option- not sure why a few needed to state that.

No chance we bring back Schneider. None.
    Unless Vance promises us a 11-3 record and a 3era. (Rookie season, mostly w Schneids).

Send Schneider to te Iron Pigs- he was born and raised right in the Lehigh Valley. Great man and ball player. I’ve had the opp to talk to him a few times and I really hope some team signs him.

And why the heck did we give Contreras a buyout? So stupid. $5mil wasn’t enough, wtf.

And thoughts on who would need Pierre and for how much? There’s no doubt someone will sign him and rightfully so!! What a season he had for us.

Love you PN’ers!!!!

10. Tom

October 30, 2012 at 11:08 am

By Ty!! Whatever you do RAJ, no more immobile, lackluster, can’t-hit-a-breaking-ball-to-save-his-life utility players like Wigginton! As much as I like Polly and his professionalism, I won’t miss his stints on the DL! And to think the Phils could have signed Beltre in the same off-season that they signed Polly…YIKES!! Not a great decision by Rube!!

• George

October 30, 2012 at 11:35 am

You are wrong on that Beltre complaint. Amaro offered Beltre a rather hefty 3 year contract,(probably more than he was worth given at the time) but Beltre decided instead to go with a one year deal in hopes of getting an even bigger contract later. In other words, Amaro had NO CHANCE of signing Beltre.

I also wonder who you’d suggest as a utility player. Most of those types are either immobile (if they’re 1st basemen), lackluster, and can’t hit breaking balls or even fastballs. Sometimes it’s all of the above. That’s why they’re utility players. Once in a while, you get a defensive replacement, but they’re usually the biggest non-hitters of them all.

11. Brooks

October 30, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Honestly, I thought the Wiggy move before the season began was a decent one. Not as a starter but as a solid backup – of which I was proven wrong on both accounts.

Glad to see my older brother (Jose) hit the road, 2 years of not playing due to injury and his age in factor, adios..

Lastly, I would hope that the third best player on the Phils last year would get more consideration – Pierre was tremendous – he filled his role and I think would have done more if asked to.

• schmenkman

October 30, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I think we’ve had this back and forth before, but in addition to Ruiz and Hamels (who I assume is who you mean), I would also put at least Utley and Lee, and probably Rollins, ahead of Pierre.

As much as I liked him this year, I think it was fortunate that we caught him in one of the best years of his career, and at the age of 35, I would bet that he won’t be as good next year.

Now even if that’s true, could he be useful complement to the Phils next year? It’s possible. It really depends on what else they do with the outfield.

• schmenkman

October 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Of course, I also thought, like you, that the Wiggy signing was a good one. So there’s that.

If he hadn’t been exposed by too much playing time as a starter, we may have seen the useful backup we expected.

12. Johns422

October 30, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I was really hoping that we’d see Juan Pierre back in philly next year.